• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I think Indiana will have clear winners in most races by midnight(of election night). The closest big one could be the senate race between Hale and Spartz. I’m taking a guess most counties will have a team of poll workers/clerks cracking open mailed in ballots first thing in the morning? Seems like Indiana usually gets things going pretty quickly.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Polling places are only open on election days. Any day a polling place is open and voters are casting votes is an election day.

Show me the LAW that defines "election day(s)" the same way you are. I will be more than happy to concede the point.

However, according to KellyInAvon (Post #6) "
    Indiana Code Title 3. Elections § 3-14-3-16" such is not necessarily the case.

And it isn't "election day" in the common parlance - it is early voting, which is something that may(?) be done before an election day.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG! I hate these signs for all candidates where they should not be. However, I can see no legal hazard of putting them out before "election" day.

Regards,

Doug

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Show me the LAW that defines "election day(s)" the same way you are. I will be more than happy to concede the point.

However, according to KellyInAvon (Post #6) "
    Indiana Code Title 3. Elections § 3-14-3-16" such is not necessarily the case.

And it isn't "election day" in the common parlance - it is early voting, which is something that may(?) be done before an election day.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG! I hate these signs for all candidates where they should not be. However, I can see no legal hazard of putting them out before "election" day.

Regards,

Doug

Please read subsection (b)(2).

(b) A person who knowingly does any electioneering: (2) within an area in the office of the circuit court clerk or a satellite office of the circuit court clerk established under IC 3-11-10-26.3 used by an absentee voter board to permit an individual to cast an absentee ballot; ...in the presence of a voter whom the person knows possesses an absentee ballot provided to the voter in accordance with Indiana law;commits a Class A misdemeanor.

I haven't taken the time to verify, but I would stake a claim that early voting locations are set up as "absentee in-person" satellite offices of the circuit court clerk established under IC 3-11-10-26.3. And per that section: (h) A satellite office established by a circuit court clerk under this section must comply with the polling place accessibility requirements of IC 3-11-8.

So, for all intents and purposes (which was my original meaning, not a literal/statutory redefinition of "election day"), satellite polling places used for absentee voting are polling places subject to all of the same requirements as in-person polling places on election day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Strike 3 for me on early voting today. Got there about half an hour before they opened and conservatively, I would estimate that there were at least 300 people in line already. My schedule just doesn't allow me to devote enough time to it today. May end up just waiting until Tuesday at this rate. I'm being suppressed!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I feel for you guys, we have 7 locations for a county with 23,000

Edit: I forgot you can go to county clerk's office also, so 8 locations

Yeah, Marion county has 600K+ registered voters but only 5 early voting locations. Pretty poor planning on their part! I imagine we'll just wait until Tuesday and probably get in and out quickly because they'll have 150+ locations open then.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wife voted this morning at Fishback Academy in Pike Twp. She said it took her an hour, and there was no line outside when she left. She said it was calm and orderly, and not really much different than other times she voted there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Two hours to vote this morning. SW side site didn't get a secure wifi password or something like that until around an hour after the polls opened. Complete cluster. No one came out and said anything or kept us updated. At least I've finally voted.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Two hours to vote this morning. SW side site didn't get a secure wifi password or something like that until around an hour after the polls opened. Complete cluster. No one came out and said anything or kept us updated. At least I've finally voted.

Had the same thing happen at my site (Center United Methodist at Bluff and Epler). They opened the doors at 7:11 and I was walking out by 7:52. Got there about 10 till 6. There was one gal campaigning for Jack Sandlin that was actually keeping everyone in line apprised of the wifi issue. Somebody should be fired over that one. That should have been tested and retested long before this morning.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Had the same thing happen at my site (Center United Methodist at Bluff and Epler). They opened the doors at 7:11 and I was walking out by 7:52. Got there about 10 till 6. There was one gal campaigning for Jack Sandlin that was actually keeping everyone in line apprised of the wifi issue. Somebody should be fired over that one. That should have been tested and retested long before this morning.

I was at the same site and got there just a few minutes after you. You were probably in line right ahead of me. I know the one campaign worker kept us updated, but I was pretty frustrated that with all those workers inside, no one came out at all to let people know what was going on. Very disappointing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was at the same site and got there just a few minutes after you. You were probably in line right ahead of me. I know the one campaign worker kept us updated, but I was pretty frustrated that with all those workers inside, no one came out at all to let people know what was going on. Very disappointing.
    Agreed! And we must live pretty close to one another! :)

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Went to vote at 6:00 and cars were lined up down the highway. Turned around and took the beagles running on my patch. 9:00 I went back and it only took 20 minutes. I thought it was rude of them not to tell me my zipper was down but now I have somewhere to put my "I VOTED" sticker

Top Bottom