• JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For me it is a G22, love that gun!
    The Beretta 96 is also a sweet shooter though :yesway:

Like you said though, plenty of fine choices. XD, XDm, Sig, m&p... any of them should serve you well. Just go with what feels best to you.

nvb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    i like the xdm a lot in .40 also i'd look into getting a caracal f, they are new to the market and cheap right now. lighter trigger than most striker fired pistols other than the ppq and less recoil do the lower bore axis

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I just got a Taurus 24/7 in .40. I like it so far. Of course, I have only gotten to play with it at home, so take my words with a grain of salt.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a .40 Browning Hi Power and a .40 CZ in the classifieds. IMHO, if you want an all steel, full size .40, it doesn't get much better than that.

I had a Hi Power in .40. It's a pain to put the recoil spring back after cleaning. I ended up traded it for something else.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The guns you listed are all fine weapons.

My advice is to select the make that fits your hand best - that is your primary concern. Secondary concern would be to get the kind of safety or sights you like.

Beyond that, a name is just a name.

There's always the grandaddy of the .40s; the S&W 4006. I have one, and it's built like a tank.

People like to forget (and I like to remind) that the Beretta 8040 was actually the first .40 to hit store shelves - Beretta actually beat S&W to market with a pistol chambered for S&Ws own cartridge. The mag cap is a bit low, at 11, but the weapon itself is an excellent platform.

The 40XX series is a fine weapon as well.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I just bought a used LEO (Detroit PD) 2nd gen Glock 22 off Glocktalk.com. Shooter521 put some old N/S I had on it, dim but servicable. I took it to Pops indoor and put 100 rds of 180 gr Federal through it, same day. WOW very accurate. A week later I took it out into the Michigan sunshine at our cabin for another unbelievable 100 rds.

Don't overlook a G-22 LEO Trade in. My 2 cents.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Own an XDm 4.5 Bi-Tone 40 and it shoots great right out of the box. I have never had any problems feeding it a steady diet of reloads. It and my other XD 45 have never had any failures of any kind. Great guns! I also like the M&P line of pistols also, but have never owned one Yet.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've got a Glock 21 (45 acp) & an xdm 9mm and a glock 26 , so it ain't that I don't like plastic guns.
    That said, when it comes to a 40 I don't like plastic guns, recoil characteristics make the guns feel snappy and slow on a second shot to me.
    Would be looking for something in the 40 ounce weight range (1911 for example or STI 2011 or Sig 229-226 etc).
    I think you really need to shoot a 40 or two before buying, or at least understand what the pro's and cons of reduced weight are worth to you.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No love for the Sig SP2022? I know they are kinda the bastard of the Sig line (until the P250 came along that is) But from what I hear they are solid guns for a decent price.

Also a CZ-75B in .40 would be a great choice for half the Price and twice the ergos of any H&K.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    If your still looking, consider the Walther PPQ. I just got one and love it. Just get one in your hands and it will feel like home. Check out that trigger. Best striker fire trigger ever!

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Own an XDm 4.5 Bi-Tone 40 and it shoots great right out of the box. I have never had any problems feeding it a steady diet of reloads. It and my other XD 45 have never had any failures of any kind. Great guns! I also like the M&P line of pistols also, but have never owned one Yet.

Ditto to the above except I have a XDm 4.5 9mm.

Top Bottom