I want to get into reloading, I want a progressive press, I was thinking on getting a Lee Precision Loadmaster, I could use some starter advice

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Those are FW ARMS Depriming dies and Swaging dies

What do you do for parts as They haven't made the 1000 since 85 or so?
    Yes they are, money very well spent.

Everything is machined steel or cast steel on these machines.
    Contrary to whats out on the internet, when I bought this machine I needed a handfull of parts to process and maybe load 223 and 308 brass. I called Dillon and they had every part but a small primer magazine tube. A huge amount of reloading companys still use these machines.
    There is a guy on eBay that machines shell plates and a few other parts.
    I have four conversions that came with this machine. I will use three of them.
    It took the drudgery out of processing brass.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Yes they are, money very well spent.

Everything is machined steel or cast steel on these machines.
    Contrary to whats out on the internet, when I bought this machine I needed a handfull of parts to process and maybe load 223 and 308 brass. I called Dillon and they had every part but a small primer magazine tube. A huge amount of reloading companys still use these machines.
    There is a guy on eBay that machines shell plates and a few other parts.
    I have four conversions that came with this machine. I will use three of them.
    It took the drudgery out of processing brass.
    That's good to know as I have retired my RL-1000 due to parts that are very hard to get. My RL-1000 has over 600,000 45 ACP's thru it and untold .223 and I bought it used. the Guy I bought it from was running a commercial reloading company

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That's good to know as I have retired my RL-1000 due to parts that are very hard to get. My RL-1000 has over 600,000 45 ACP's thru it and untold .223 and I bought it used. the Guy I bought it from was running a commercial reloading company
    And its still worth a thousand or better depending on what and how many conversions you have.
    I'm not sure, but I believe I bought it from the original owners son. If he sees this post he might chime in. It wasn't used hard at all.

What parts couldn't you find?

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    And its still worth a thousand or better depending on what and how many conversions you have.
    I'm not sure, but I believe I bought it from the original owners son. If he sees this post he might chime in. It wasn't used hard at all.

What parts couldn't you find?
    I have had mine packed up for 5 years now, I have 308 conversion, but used to load 308, 6mm, and 22-250, plus .223, 9mm.
    It's not what is missing or broken, but the lack of parts avaibility. I think I paid about $3000 for mine back in the 80's

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nah, we used the dies they came with. All dillon stuff.

I actually like Lee dies, but they were often too short for the 650s / 1050s.
    Yep, I've threaded them in the bottom on occasion myself.

There swedge die is the shizzle, the deprimer is spring loaded, sorta like Dillons sizers but a whole bunch more. If you would like to try them I would be glad to put them in the mail to you?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have had mine packed up for 5 years now, I have 308 conversion, but used to load 308, 6mm, and 22-250, plus .223, 9mm.
    It's not what is missing or broken, but the lack of parts avaibility. I think I paid about $3000 for mine back in the 80's
    Yea, the base machine with one conversion was $2495.00 I believe.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Yep, I've threaded them in the bottom on occasion myself.

There swedge die is the shizzle, the deprimer is spring loaded, sorta like Dillons sizers but a whole bunch more. If you would like to try them I would be glad to put them in the mail to you?
    Very much appreciated but I only run T7s and 550s these days. Focusing more on niche and custom stuff, although I’d consider another couple 1050s to feed the MGs.

Since primers got scarce and super pricey, I’ve focused more on precision than volume. Either way, I still get the raccoons in the coup. Sometimes one hole is as good as twelve. :-)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The Lee LM is a great way to get into progressive reloading without a huge financial investment. The tradeoff is, as has been mentioned, the LM is one of the more needy, fiddly presses. In addition to paying attention to all the ammo steps, you have to pay attention to the press itself more than the others.

I put about 6k rounds through mine before upgrading to a Dillon 750. The primer feed is the part to keep an eye on the most because A. if they don't go right, the whole process is gummed up, B. you can't watch or feel just the primer because it's mixed with another action, C. they go boom and D. most importantly your OCD gets triggered because if you drop a primer you can't fill a 100 round box .

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    If you are loading .223, and pistol cry once and buy the 750, If you are loading lots of different rifle rounds buy the 550, if you want to load precision ammo the 550 with Armanov tool heads and die rings, along with a V4 powder trickler and FX-120I balance all most can't be beat.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Good afternoon HOOSIERS, Im looking towards getting into reloading, mainly 9mm and 223/556. I want to get a progressive press, looking at specifically getting a Lee precision Loadmaster, preferably later or with it if i can buy it as a bundle type deal, I would like to get it with all the hoops and whistles, case feeder, powder dispenser, primer dispenser, etc. Would like some advice from those older and wiser with more knowledge in the field.

My interest is in pumping out cheap, training/plinking ammo, I have seen setups where everything is set up to where all you need is to pull a handle for 100 rounds and then you just gotta refill the dispensers. I covet this dream, and I wish to have a setup like that for my own.

I was also wondering if now is a good time to get into reloading, or if it would be better to wait until theres a holiday or something before jumping in.

My budget range is preferably 600-700 dollars max, not including costs of bullets, primers, cases, tumbler

Thank you for your time, and hopefully your counsel on the matter.
    You've got lots of replies already, and it really depends on your mechanical aptitude. I also started with Lee equipment, but quickly got frustrated with it. It is very fiddly and had significant issues w/ unprimed loads, as well as the powder measure sticking and ending up with squibs. Because of those 2 issues, I can't recommend any Lee progressive. If you are strictly budget constrained the Lee Turret press with a hand primer can be a decent upgrade from a single stage press, and can basically function as a single stage while you are getting accustomed to reloading.

If you are at strong DIYer with mechanical aptitude, I'd recommend either the Hornady (which I have) or Dillon progressive presses. With both, you can feed one round through at a time starting out, and simply progress through the stages, watching carefully. Once you get familiar with the press and process, go full out and crank out lots of ammo.

The recently released Frankford Arsonal 10 stage press had me drooling for a bit, but IMO they put the powder drop in the wrong station (#7), giving 3 stages after powder. I'd prefer 4 for pistol... Powder Drop, powder check, bulled drop, bullet seat, bullet crimp. Of course any of the 5 stage presses have the same issue, but if I don't solve the issue, why upgrade.

For cost savings, even with 9c primers, I still save lots on Match .223 ammo with 75 grain bullets. Maybe not so much with 55 grain plinking/steel case variants.

If you do NOT have strong mechanical aptitude, I'd either suggest avoiding reloading, or spend the $$ for the Dillon as it seems those have the fewest issues.

--Rick.

PS, as others have mentioned, I run mainly Lee dies and prefer them against the Dillon for 9mm... Great quality at a very fair price.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Good afternoon HOOSIERS, Im looking towards getting into reloading, mainly 9mm and 223/556. I want to get a progressive press, looking at specifically getting a Lee precision Loadmaster, preferably later or with it if i can buy it as a bundle type deal, I would like to get it with all the hoops and whistles, case feeder, powder dispenser, primer dispenser, etc. Would like some advice from those older and wiser with more knowledge in the field.

My interest is in pumping out cheap, training/plinking ammo, I have seen setups where everything is set up to where all you need is to pull a handle for 100 rounds and then you just gotta refill the dispensers. I covet this dream, and I wish to have a setup like that for my own.

I was also wondering if now is a good time to get into reloading, or if it would be better to wait until theres a holiday or something before jumping in.

My budget range is preferably 600-700 dollars max, not including costs of bullets, primers, cases, tumbler

I like LEE. I learned on them and have had a few of their presses. Dillon's are better in everyway but they are also 5x the price and cost a lot more to change calibers.

I would not recommend the Loadmaster as a 1st time press.

Get the Breech Lock single stage and take your time to learn and understand the
    process. It's cheap, and you will need to factor in the scale, the tumbler, the hand primer and all the other bits an pieces you don't yet realize you need.

The old advice was to buy a manual and read it... Honestly manufactures have all their data online now and that is usually a good rule to go with because it is very conservative.

Then, if you are still into it after a year or so. Get the Auto Breech Lock Pro progressive press. Get the case feeder but skip the bullet feeder as it's more trouble than it is worth. Put a powder lock out die on stage 2* and PAY ATTENTION!.
    * I resize and de-prime in a separate step, then hand prime, so my stage 1 is a the powder drop.

All that being said, the cost of 9mm and .223 is low right now. Not the lowest ever but pretty low relatively speaking. Look at a reloading cost calculator to determine if it isn't cheaper to buy several cases of ammo instead of all the equipment and components you will need to reload.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You've got lots of replies already, and it really depends on your mechanical aptitude. I also started with Lee equipment, but quickly got frustrated with it. It is very fiddly and had significant issues w/ unprimed loads, as well as the powder measure sticking and ending up with squibs. Because of those 2 issues, I can't recommend any Lee progressive. If you are strictly budget constrained the Lee Turret press with a hand primer can be a decent upgrade from a single stage press, and can basically function as a single stage while you are getting accustomed to reloading.

If you are at strong DIYer with mechanical aptitude, I'd recommend either the Hornady (which I have) or Dillon progressive presses. With both, you can feed one round through at a time starting out, and simply progress through the stages, watching carefully. Once you get familiar with the press and process, go full out and crank out lots of ammo.

The recently released Frankford Arsonal 10 stage press had me drooling for a bit, but IMO they put the powder drop in the wrong station (#7), giving 3 stages after powder. I'd prefer 4 for pistol... Powder Drop, powder check, bulled drop, bullet seat, bullet crimp. Of course any of the 5 stage presses have the same issue, but if I don't solve the issue, why upgrade.

For cost savings, even with 9c primers, I still save lots on Match .223 ammo with 75 grain bullets. Maybe not so much with 55 grain plinking/steel case variants.

If you do NOT have strong mechanical aptitude, I'd either suggest avoiding reloading, or spend the $$ for the Dillon as it seems those have the fewest issues.

--Rick.

PS, as others have mentioned, I run mainly Lee dies and prefer them against the Dillon for 9mm... Great quality at a very fair price.
    What is the reason you like Lee dies over Dillon?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Congrats into looking into handloading. I invite you to my shop for a full hands on presentation on reloading all calibers. At no charge you will see first hand what and not what to do. PM if interested in doing it right and not waste money.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I’m generally a fan of Lee products. Most of my dies are Lee, and I own two of their 4 hole turrets, 2 of their .50bmg presses, 4 single stage, several hand presses, and even one each of their manual die sets. I owned a Loadmaster and found it far too fiddly for my tastes. It took constant tweaking to get to run properly. I’m a gearhead and have built and tuned engines and can handle anything mechanical. But I hated the Loadmaster. It’s the only press I ever sold.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    What is the reason you like Lee dies over Dillon?
    I use range pickup brass. The Dillon base has a larger funneled opening that doesn't size the lowest portion of the cartridge. I was getting 6 to 7% rejects when case sizing after Dillon dies. Switched back to Lee and drastically reduced the rejects.
    I also really like the factory crimp dies. I'm not aware that Dillon has anything comparable.
    Rick

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I use range pickup brass. The Dillon base has a larger funneled opening that doesn't size the lowest portion of the cartridge. I was getting 6 to 7% rejects when case sizing after Dillon dies. Switched back to Lee and drastically reduced the rejects.
    I also really like the factory crimp dies. I'm not aware that Dillon has anything comparable.
    Rick
    Thats fair, I use a ring sizer with processing brass. I own maybe a half dozen Lee crimp dies, they work well. I will say before I bought a ring sizer we really never had issues with Dillon handgun dies not dropping in a gauge. Maybe 2% if I had to guess.
    I like the Lee crimps because one can cheat the trimming for an extra load or two.
    I load lots of lead bullets and thats where Dillons really shine is they come with two different seaters that are inside of the seater and when to clean a seater you just pop a clip on top of the die and the center of the die drops out. You clean it and push it back in and pop the clip back in.
    No readjustment is needed. You cant do the with the others dies.
    They are very user friendly.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Starting with a single stage press gives the operator a better feel for what is happening in each stage of the process. I moved on to progressive. I found it easier for an error to make it through the process and fail when needed. I moved back to using a single stage. In many ways, I find it more fulfilling than shooting.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The Lee LM is a great way to get into progressive reloading without a huge financial investment. The tradeoff is, as has been mentioned, the LM is one of the more needy, fiddly presses. In addition to paying attention to all the ammo steps, you have to pay attention to the press itself more than the others.

I put about 6k rounds through mine before upgrading to a Dillon 750. The primer feed is the part to keep an eye on the most because A. if they don't go right, the whole process is gummed up, B. you can't watch or feel just the primer because it's mixed with another action, C. they go boom and D. most importantly your OCD gets triggered because if you drop a primer you can't fill a 100 round box .

The Lee LM was my first progressive and what I still use today. I agree with the fiddly statement. You have to tweak things here or there. If I sit down to do 1000 9mms, i will probably dork up 5 to 10 primers because they will go in sideways and probably the same number of times, a primer won't get fed. I also have to re-seat probably 10 cartridges but that is because I am doing range ammo and sometimes the resizer doesn't like one so i don't get a full press. I just ordered an APP so i am going to do it in 2 steps from here on out. Deprime, prime, resize will happen on the APP and the the progressive will be used for everything else.

Top Bottom