I want to get into reloading, I want a progressive press, I was thinking on getting a Lee Precision Loadmaster, I could use some starter advice

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Good morning folks, Thank you to everybody that chimed in, I appreciate your 2 cents on the matter. However I think I'm gonna pass for now on getting a reloading setup, I've looked at prices of primers and did some cost analysis and I just don't think it would be worth it at this time for what I want to reload.

I am grateful at how in depth some people went with the specifications in their setup, and the tweaks and work they needed to do to get right. I liked that some people mentioned Dillon as I have heard nothing but good things about them, and will be my most probable choice if i do get a progressive press at some point. Also some people recommended a single stage press, which would probably be the best beginner option If I do think about getting into reloading again.

Sorry for the disappointing ending of not getting a setup, but I do greatly appreciate every bodies knowledge and experience in the field and their willingness and decency to help me out. Have a nice morning everybody!

Definitely not worth it for common calibers unless you are precision shooting and really want to tailor your loads. It's still worth it for some of the more expensive rounds (like 300 BO subsonic) but it's a commitment. I also think it could be worthwhile to acquire the knowledge, equipment, and supplies now and as prices stabilize so you are prepared in the future for when prices spike again.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Echoing many sentiments in this thread: I started with the Lee Turret press and it is rock solid but slower than a progressive. I then upgraded to a Load Master. The LM is very fiddley. When it runs well it is good but prepare to do a lot of continuous tinkering. Otherwise, if you want rock solid reliability and you can afford it, you honestly would be better with something else. In particular, I have had TONS of problems with the priming system and I now only do off-press priming. I also could not get the auto bullet feeder to work worth a darn. Aside from priming and bullet feeding, it is fine.

(BTW: I believe the Load Master has now been discontinued and there is a new progressive form Lee which I have no experience with.)

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    Start off with a single stage press. Once you learn what it's all about, THEN step up to a progressive. Too much going on at the same time in a progressive for a beginner. Heck, I've been reloading for 45 years and still use a single stage press. Reloading should be enjoyed, never rushed. To me, reloading is therapy.

Jon

Yangos45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Dyer
    Same as Musketjon, I started with a single stage about 20 years ago, an RCBS and still own and use it. Then moved up to a Redding T7 with multiple turret heads.
    All my revolver rounds are done with the single stage or my now 2 Redding T7s and 9mm and 45acp are made on one of 2 Dillon 650s.
    Take your time and learn the craft Of reloading and then go for speed

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I use 2 Dillion Square D presses, 1 for 9mm and 1 for 45acp.
    I use a Redding T-7turret for my rifle loading.
    I enjoy the time and leisure of prepping and loading the rifle rounds. It is kind of therapeutic to me.
    Pistol rounds I just want to load up as fast as I can.
    If you are just starting out, it is best to take your time and really learn what to do.
    That is best on a single stage press.
    Yes it is time consuming, but you will learn all thevins and outs and will truly enjoy it more.

Top Bottom