• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    There are good classes all around the state. Start by checking online for the schools around your area. But nothing beats experience. If you buy the cheapest welder you can afford from Craigs Lists or Harbor Freight you will be ahead of the game once/if you take a formal class. [Some of the people you meet in these classes are already decent welders, but they are working towards an industry certification.] You will also find some very good Tutorials on YouTube. What exactly is best for you depends a bit on your style and preferences; what some people find dry and boring others like for the technical details. Look around, especially the ones by the equipment makers. It's definitely worth your time. Most important for last: Get good safety equipment and use it. A cheap welder may make it harder to learn, but cheap protective gear can ruin the rest of your life. Good luck and enjoy.

Jkwrangler70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2016
    Lafayette
    Sutton Garten. A very good basic course and the cost is not a killer.
    Oh...I see you are in Laff. Do they have a branch there...???

Not that I'm aware of. I googled and didn't see any results other than an Indy branch. I'm honestly not certain what Sutton Garden is actually, I've never heard of it before reading this thread. The local Ivy Tech branch is just down the road from me, however, which is why I asked about their program.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not that I'm aware of. I googled and didn't see any results other than an Indy branch. I'm honestly not certain what Sutton Garden is actually, I've never heard of it before reading this thread. The local Ivy Tech branch is just down the road from me, however, which is why I asked about their program.

Sutton Garten is a local supplier of all things welding. Gases, equipment and supply's. Great place. They give a great starter class.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    ButterMilk if you can find it, been there done that!

I'm quite fond of Steak & Shake vanilla milkshakes or caramel malts from DQ. Yummy for the galvanized tummy.
    When an area at work is going to be demo'ed, they let us millwrights loose with our oxy / acetylene torches. Everything included deactivated electrical gets dropped to the deck. No worries and no hurries!
    I've been a GM / UAW millwright the last 28 or so years...

Jkwrangler70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2016
    Lafayette
    Sutton Garten is a local supplier of all things welding. Gases, equipment and supply's. Great place. They give a great starter class.

Ahh gotcha. There are a few welding supply places here in Lafayette. I'll call around and see if there are any similar opportunities up here. Thanks for the idea!

Top Bottom