I want to Supprt my local gun store but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    My LGS is just re opening after a several month hiatus. They did, and do, suffer from lack of inventory itis. However, they did order some ammo for me today, and their inventory is now down one MVP.
    For a smaller statured man like me, it's a nice fitting rifle.
    But then again, most boys or bantam long arms feel better on my shoulder.

I believe I know which gun store you are talking about, given your location. They recently re-opened and have posted some decent deals on their page. When I went in to get one of these deals, I found out it had to be ordered. No big deal, I'm not in a hurry. However, he then informed me that when it came in, I would need to pay a $25 FFL transfer fee. What?? Never heard of a gun store charging a fee for a gun they are selling me. Oh well, told him no thanks and moved on. If I'm going to have to pay an FFL fee, I might as well find a better deal online...

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Im happy to support my local shop, but I want something in return for that. If I am going to pay more than online price then id like to get a higher level of service or worthwhile advice or an occasional repeat customer deal price or access to a reliable inventory of things that an actual shooter will want. In NWI, after Shema's place in Merrillville closed (due to a well deserved retirement) there aren't really any shops that offer this. Its either the big box stores that only stock 10/22s, 870s and ultra budget grade accessories, or the private owned shops that employ goofballs offering terrible advice, never a deal or minimum inventory. I did own my own retail business and i am aware how massively expensive it can be to stock a wide variety of less than common accessories, but thats also the cost of doing business. You aren't going to attract the real shooters and repeat buyers if all you have is a rack of Fobus holsters, no spare parts and a display of ProMags for double the Amazon price. Im happy to pay a premium and help support the local guy, but only if I'm going to get a value in some other aspect of the shopping experience.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    The LGS...it's full of FUDDS.

xl1XYq8.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Nameless and faceless online stores have no appeal for me.
    When a lack of real live customer base ends the brick and mortar stores then you'll get what they decide to give you. You'll have no say as to what you'll be able to buy.
    Save your $3.50. Be happy and don't start your whining and crying when you won't be able to buy anything in person.
    You will reap what you sow.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nameless and faceless online stores have no appeal for me.
    When a lack of real live customer base ends the brick and mortar stores then you'll get what they decide to give you. You'll have no say as to what you'll be able to buy.
    Save your $3.50. Be happy and don't start your whining and crying when you won't be able to buy anything in person.
    You will reap what you sow.
    For some of us, this is already the reality. I'd gladly pay a little bit more for parts and accessories, maybe even buy a different brand or kind than I wanted. Most likely though, anyone near me is not going to have anything even comparable to what I'm looking for. My choices are either the internet, a road trip, or paying the price of the newest <insert item here> for a used older model or paying that same price for an inferior alternative.

The best example I can think of would be a PMAG. They're pretty popular and any retailer shouldn't have a hard time selling them. For the sake of argument, I'll exclude big box stores from this scenario, leaving only the LGSs that are within reasonable driving distance. One store will have a few new-old-stock ones for the price of the newest generation ones, another won't have any but will offer you a Promag for a couple bucks less, and another will have a variety of the one you're looking for but it'll be twice the price. That leaves the option of driving for an hour or more to get what we're looking for and still paying a few bucks extra. That's all well and good until you realize that you could've ordered three of that item for the same money you spent to drive an hour to support a brick and mortar.

The point of this thread isn't that we aren't willing to pay a little more to support a local business, but that the local business around us just aren't really up to par. If everyone had a Bradis, USDS, Top Guns, etc. around then you'd rarely ever see threads like this.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    For the most part, I use the LGS for actual gun purchases as I buy mostly used guns first, NIB second. I check around the LGS's for ammo first, then used the interwebz when I cannot find what I need local. For parts it is almost entirely done online. I cannot expect the LGS to have a specific part from a specific manufacturer, so I just shop online for that stuff.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For the most part, I use the LGS for actual gun purchases as I buy mostly used guns first, NIB second. I check around the LGS's for ammo first, then used the interwebz when I cannot find what I need local. For parts it is almost entirely done online. I cannot expect the LGS to have a specific part from a specific manufacturer, so I just shop online for that stuff.
    This is pretty much my method as well. If I'm going to have to pay HAZMAT shipping or a transfer fee, might as well try to source it locally first. The simpler things like parts and accessories can usually be found at a good price from somewhere that will offer a free shipping code.

IndianaGlock85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Madison
    There’s only one decent LGS in town but they’re several good ones in surrounding counties. I try to buy all my guns/ammo from them but as another poster said it’s impossible for them to have every part you are looking for.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For some of us, this is already the reality. I'd gladly pay a little bit more for parts and accessories, maybe even buy a different brand or kind than I wanted. Most likely though, anyone near me is not going to have anything even comparable to what I'm looking for. My choices are either the internet, a road trip, or paying the price of the newest <insert item here> for a used older model or paying that same price for an inferior alternative.

The best example I can think of would be a PMAG. They're pretty popular and any retailer shouldn't have a hard time selling them. For the sake of argument, I'll exclude big box stores from this scenario, leaving only the LGSs that are within reasonable driving distance. One store will have a few new-old-stock ones for the price of the newest generation ones, another won't have any but will offer you a Promag for a couple bucks less, and another will have a variety of the one you're looking for but it'll be twice the price. That leaves the option of driving for an hour or more to get what we're looking for and still paying a few bucks extra. That's all well and good until you realize that you could've ordered three of that item for the same money you spent to drive an hour to support a brick and mortar.

The point of this thread isn't that we aren't willing to pay a little more to support a local business, but that the local business around us just aren't really up to par. If everyone had a Bradis, USDS, Top Guns, etc. around then you'd rarely ever see threads like this.

ALL LGS are NOT worthy of loyalty by any stretch of the imagination.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have a great example of why I don’t frequent the local gun shop.
    A guy I know wants to show me his new SCCY CPX2 he paid $289.00 plus tax at the LGS.
    Buds price $189.00 free shipping and another gun shop will do the transfer for $25.00. I understand that a LGS may not be able to match mega retailers but this is not like a buck or two.
    Simple answer many “gun shops” are F*()* crooks!

Ammo to me is a simple process
    Training ammo Rual King
    Oddball stuff I use the inter webs!

BTW
    I live about 40 miles from Whitaker’s gun shop that’s kinda the best of both worlds. Huge online retailer and kinda of a LGS unbelievable inventory.

Last edited:

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Most of the small shops around where I live have a pretty poor selection of firearms and accessories. I’m talking a rack of Uncle Mikes holsters, bottles of Hoppes #9 marked way up with a layer of dust on top, and the same Maverick 88’s, Savage .22’s and DPMS AR’s that have been in there for the past 2 years. I have one big indoor range/shop where I buy my firearms. They usually have a decent selection, but ammo prices can be high.

I’d agree that many shops are out of touch with what customers want. However, I have to consider the breadth of the industry as a whole before passing judgement. Take any kind of accessory for example, I’ll use AR15 iron sights. Carry handles, fixed rail mounted, folding rail mounted, Magpul, Troy, Aero, Midwest Industries, UTG. It’s a wide range of types, quality and price. Everybody is looking for something different. It’s impossible to please everyone, that’s why you see most shops carrying Magpul MBUS and that’s it. It’s the mid-range product that will satisfy 80% of customers. Can’t blame them, they’d go broke trying to stock the whole gamut. That’s why I don’t get butthurt when nobody local has my Troy folding sights.

The shop I use has consistently fair firearms pricing and selection. I buy my guns there and most of my accessories online if it’s not something I can find locally. Ammo usually comes from wherever I can find it cheap (grocery store, online, etc...)

I’d like to see folks post a list of items they think their LGS should keep in stock but don’t. It would be interesting to see differences and similarities and could be helpful to shop owners who may be reading.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    ALL LGS are NOT worthy of loyalty by any stretch of the imagination.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Remember only a few short years ago when LGS's were sending their employees out to Wal-Mart, buying up all the ammo, (mostly .22) then placing it into sandwich bags selling it at a crazy marked up price? I do. What about selling P-Mags @ $50 each? To this day, those shops still don't get my business.

Dimik

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    I'm going to deviate from the general line, and say I actually really like the two local stores I frequent. Ammo prices aren't the best, but gun prices often match those you can find online, and the staff at the stores are very helpful, courteous, and a very pleasant conversation. I've spend a lot of time just talking with them. At least the ones I usually deal with. Others sometimes treat me as if I were an imbecile, but that's understandable in retail. Never had a problem asking for advice. Overwhelmingly pleasant experiences.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I’d like to see folks post a list of items they think their LGS should keep in stock but don’t. It would be interesting to see differences and similarities and could be helpful to shop owners who may be reading.
    I'll bite. This is all stuff I go to my LGS looking for and end up finding at Rural King. This list could be longer but it's too early to think that hard.

- Stripped AR lowers, Anderson or Aero shouldn't have a hard time selling
    - AR furniture, like rails and different stocks
    - Magazines for various popular guns
    - This last one is just personal preference but if someone around my area would be a full-line Magpul dealer, it'd be heaven. (For some reason, I'm a huge Magpul fanboy.)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I go to a shop that is 30 minutes from my house for the friendly conversation. They are a 1-2 man operation with VERY limited inventory. I dont buy many guns from dealers - INGO classifieds is my go-to, but I bought a gun and my first suppressor from this shop because of the hour plus conversation that followed. Very helpful and knowledgeable...and friendly.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My LGS is just re opening after a several month hiatus. They did, and do, suffer from lack of inventory itis. However, they did order some ammo for me today, and their inventory is now down one MVP.
    For a smaller statured man like me, it's a nice fitting rifle.
    But then again, most boys or bantam long arms feel better on my shoulder.

Your LGS will be ramping up soon. I knowz some things. :)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I try very hard to give local gun stores a sporting chance when buying firearms and shooting gear, but they don't make it easy at all.

Whenever I want to buy a brand X firearm, I will look online to see who has it, and calculate the shipping and transfer fees (taxes sometimes) to get a total cost. I will then take a trip to up to three local gun stores to see who might have that item in the same ballpark, where "ballpark" is within $25 to $30 bucks of the online total cost, and I don't count the Indiana sales tax against the dealer's price. If I cannot get within $25 to $30 bucks of the online total, I just go ahead and buy the item online.

I have given up on trying to find parts and accessories from local stores, simply because they never seem to have what I need, and when they do, the cost is astronomical compared to the online sellers. If I want a holster for Brand X gun, I do not want to be forced into an Uncle Mikes or an off-the-shelf holster being sold at a hand-crafted holster price. If I want to buy a replacement firing pin for a Brand X gun, I won't even try to buy local... I already know they won't have one.

Like I said, I will give them a chance and sometimes the local shops get the deal.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I go to a shop that is 30 minutes from my house for the friendly conversation. They are a 1-2 man operation with VERY limited inventory. I dont buy many guns from dealers - INGO classifieds is my go-to, but I bought a gun and my first suppressor from this shop because of the hour plus conversation that followed. Very helpful and knowledgeable...and friendly.

What shop?

Top Bottom