I want to Supprt my local gun store but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think most people posting here are out of touch with local sales. Plainfield has great selection of parts that "should be easy sales" yet the same parts are always there month after month, even at decent prices. Small shops cannot keep up with the volume pricing online retailers get. Most have a hard time getting accessories from their distributors at primary arms sale prices.

I have a feeling that online sales tax may swing some business back local, but they will never be able to match the high volume pricing online shops get. They will also never match the selection dropship vendors are able to advertise.

When it comes to the point that i need to buy a part locally i pay fair pricing without balking. I usually make up the difference on deals elsewhere, random free transfers add up quick.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They aren't on INGO, but I've tried to get them to sign up.

https://www.elementarmament.com

Holy crap! I had no idea there was another south-side shop.

A whopping 4.4 miles from my house.

Also... You should look up Atkinson Arms. They're also in GW near the airport. If you're already down this way to visit Element - may as well make it a two-fer. (Also, I'm becoming more and more a fan of Honey Creek in Bargersville and The Outdoorsman in GW)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Holy crap! I had no idea there was another south-side shop.

A whopping 4.4 miles from my house.

Also... You should look up Atkinson Arms. They're also in GW near the airport. If you're already down this way to visit Element - may as well make it a two-fer. (Also, I'm becoming more and more a fan of Honey Creek in Bargersville and The Outdoorsman in GW)

Yep. Element is right behind Whits Inn.
    If you go in there talk up INGO, if they were on here you'd have known about them sooner...
    I went in there the first time because I know the family of one of the guys that runs it.

I've seen Atkinson post on here. I'll have to stop in sometime.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not adding anything that wasn't already said, but when I buy a firearm, I check locally and ask how close they can get to the online price. Some will tell me to buy it online and they are happy to do the transfer. That said, I have purchased more locally than online.

When it comes to parts, I buy virtually everything online. I'm not very social and I don't have much time so sitting around a counter talking is not part of my day. As a matter of fact, I get irritated when I have to wait at a store because employees are either talking to each other or are having a personal conversation with a customer; "do you want my business or not?"

I am a very busy person and I have to maximize my effectiveness and efficiency. Yeah, I know, that makes Greg a dull cookie. But it's how I have structured my life. Maybe I'll slow down when I retire and will have time to hang out at McDonald's and drink coffee.:) Or the LGS.

How I shop is also a determined somewhat by where I live.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The problem I have with LGS's is that they won't take a reduced markup to make the sale. I call my dealer for a price for gunX . He gives it to me (normally close to full retail), and I say that's too much more than I can get online; can you do any better, I'd rather keep my money local? He says, no, that's what we gotta have.

Now I'm in business, and understand margins and overhead costs, but if someone comes into my shop and my 1st price includes $100 in profit, but the customer can get it cheaper elsewhere, I'm usually going to accept only $50 in profit, in order to keep that customer. I say usually, because some people are constant nickel/diming you, and we eventually show them the door.

So my point is, that I'd rather have the $50 in margin instead of $0, but most LGS's don't seem to adhere to that concept. With used or out-of-production guns, it's a whole different ball game, but for new items still in production, I don't normally waste my time with LGS anymore. I don't mind spending a little more to stay local, but not hundreds.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The problem I have with LGS's is that they won't take a reduced markup to make the sale. I call my dealer for a price for gunX . He gives it to me (normally close to full retail), and I say that's too much more than I can get online; can you do any better, I'd rather keep my money local? He says, no, that's what we gotta have.

Now I'm in business, and understand margins and overhead costs, but if someone comes into my shop and my 1st price includes $100 in profit, but the customer can get it cheaper elsewhere, I'm usually going to accept only $50 in profit, in order to keep that customer. I say usually, because some people are constant nickel/diming you, and we eventually show them the door.

So my point is, that I'd rather have the $50 in margin instead of $0, but most LGS's don't adhere to that concept. With used or out-of-production guns, it's a whole different ball game, but for new items still in production, I don't normally waste my time with LGS anymore. I don't mind spending a little more to stay local, but not hundreds.

Plus, if it is something they are ordering, their overhead is not that much. They do a little paperwork, get paid by you and possibly don't have to pay the distributor/manufacturer for 60 days or so.

And...they are growing their sales with their distributor/manufacturer which helps them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

So my point is, that I'd rather have the $50 in margin instead of $0, but most LGS's don't seem to adhere to that concept. With used or out-of-production guns, it's a whole different ball game, but for new items still in production, I don't normally waste my time with LGS anymore. I don't mind spending a little more to stay local, but not hundreds.
    I've experienced that exact situation as well.

I also do not like the bargaining game. Give me a good price to begin with. Three different people should not end up paying three different prices for the same item.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    As a small business owner, Atkinson Firearms in Greenwood, I work hard to have what our customers want but unlike the big box stores I am limited on space and my pockets are not as deep to buy in bulk. Now with this being said I do work with our customers on getting what they want through ordering it at a price that both parties are agreeable too!! Online sales is not a bad thing but please give your Local Gun Shop the oppertunity to earn your business. Without your LGS you dont get the atmoshere, conversation or the chance to look, hold and drool over the firearm you want to purchase. Customer service is a huge priority with us here at Atkinson Firearms and we will work hard to make sure you as the customer get what you want at a price that makes you want to come back!! As always be safe and I look forward to seeing you here at Atkinson Firearms.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As a small business owner, Atkinson Firearms in Greenwood, I work hard to have what our customers want but unlike the big box stores I am limited on space and my pockets are not as deep to buy in bulk. Now with this being said I do work with our customers on getting what they want through ordering it at a price that both parties are agreeable too!! Online sales is not a bad thing but please give your Local Gun Shop the oppertunity to earn your business. Without your LGS you dont get the atmoshere, conversation or the chance to look, hold and drool over the firearm you want to purchase. Customer service is a huge priority with us here at Atkinson Firearms and we will work hard to make sure you as the customer get what you want at a price that makes you want to come back!! As always be safe and I look forward to seeing you here at Atkinson Firearms.
    That kind of attitude is lacking up here in NWI

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'll get up there soon! Can you order me a shotgun? I'm looking at a Browning Citori CX.

And do you do any consignment of firearms? I have a Walther Q5 that I'm selling.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

When you decide to expand, Greene and Monroe counties are both markets that are after a combination of fair prices and good services. Just sayin'...

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I try to support lgs and gunsmiths..... but when I walk into a store/shop and the owner is talking to a guy on a stool.... and wont greet me or say "be with you in a second" nothing.....? I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I walk through the door but if you cant acknowledge that I am there, I wont be doing business with you.

I walked into a gunsmiths shop.... first time in the shop to drop something off we had talked through email... had my daughters with me... we stood in the doorway of the shop (was nowhere else to go) for 15m before he asked what we needed......................................... he was working on a gun. I try and support local but just not getting what you guys are getting out of the local shops. And then I have been in others not quite as local.... that are giving out bad advice and making it seem their choice is the only option. I finally found a shop in NWI Crown Point, that seem like good guys and they have ar parts kits lowers etc etc.... they will be getting my business.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I try to support lgs and gunsmiths..... but when I walk into a store/shop and the owner is talking to a guy on a stool.... and wont greet me or say "be with you in a second" nothing.....? I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I walk through the door but if you cant acknowledge that I am there, I wont be doing business with you.

I walked into a gunsmiths shop.... first time in the shop to drop something off we had talked through email... had my daughters with me... we stood in the doorway of the shop (was nowhere else to go) for 15m before he asked what we needed......................................... he was working on a gun. I try and support local but just not getting what you guys are getting out of the local shops. And then I have been in others not quite as local.... that are giving out bad advice and making it seem their choice is the only option. I finally found a shop in NWI Crown Point, that seem like good guys and they have ar parts kits lowers etc etc.... they will be getting my business.

Can you say who this is? I like to check out all the local LGS's just to know who has what.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Can you say who this is? I like to check out all the local LGS's just to know who has what.

Sheepdog they are by Jewel. To be honest not sure if it is a franchise or not.... now that I looked online but it’s father and son always working.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I purchase almost everything gun related used from the forums. I have found hundreds of deals on ar15.com and INGO, and never had an issue. The local stores rarely stock exactly what I want, so I don't waste my time.

With that said, there is a small shop that has popped up on the southeast side of Evansville that I have taken a liking to. I let him pin and weld a flash hider for me last week and it turned out great. Got a couple fair deals from him on used AR parts that I will eventually use down the road.

As far as new guns, I haven't bought one locally in a few years. Too many "like-new" ones on the open market @ 30% discount to buy new, and the local gun shops want new prices for used guns.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    With some of the sales emails I get it’s hard not to buy online, but I still enjoy checking out local shops. I’d rather support the small guy so that I can help keep the shop there so I’m not strictly forced to buy online especially for things like powder and primers. However I’m not going to pay a new price for a used gun either.

Top Bottom