• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I was at an indoor range yesterday next to someone shooting a .44 magnum revolver (no, it wasn't Clint). Dang thing sounded like a canon going off! So much percussion and muzzle flash, the whole room lit up! Here I am trying to concentrate and fine tune a new handload workup, and everything that thing went bang, I almost jumped out of my skin!

I can't say I was mad, actually, we were all gathered around the guy laughing and talking to him about it.

I have been next to guys (and I have actually shot) a .50 revolver, and this .44 magnum was much louder with a ton more muzzle flash.

That gun would be fun to shoot for about 5 minutes, then I would need to rest my old bones!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why would someone shoot a 30 caliber rifle at pistol distances? Kind of like delivering pizza in a semi truck.
    I have needed to do this to get scopes/iron sights close. The indoor range is super-convenient for me, so that's what I do.

I can neither confirm nor deny sending an extra mag downrange just because it is fun. I mean, once the gun's dirty and will have to be cleaned, might as well use it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Lol. I've never cared how loud someone else's gun is at the range. I didn't realize people were so sensitive about this stuff.

Same. I've shot my .300 WSM multiple times at an indoor range with my wife, BIL, and a RO present. I never realized how lucky we all were to have survived the blast, let alone remain completely unscathed. I guess I should be glad my BIL declined to take the RO up on the opportunity to shoot the range's .458 Lott, the resultant blast and shockwave might have leveled half of Dallas-Ft. Worth. :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    either deal with it or leave. Don't ***** about it! Adapt and react!

Adapt and react? Adapt by reacting? React by adapting? I see how "deal with it" could be branded as "adapting" while leaving could be called "reacting"....so, both, one or the other? Which one first?

I need someone who is the master of all wisdom to tell me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Is it not en vogue to acknowledge that shooting beside weapons with lots of concussion is uncomfortable and even *gasp* obnoxious?

Asking somebody to stop shooting because their bang stick is blasty would be a whiny snowflake response; continuing what you're doing and later getting on an internet forum and saying "that sucked" is perfectly fine. Guns are loud and we all know that; some guns are louder (others MUCH louder). Guns have muzzle blast and we all know that; some guns have more muzzle blast (others MUCH more).

I might have been sandwiched between two braked 338 Lapuas that sandblasted me with every shot, which did indeed suck, but each shooter was super cool and tried to minimize their impact on me (ie. if I was down on my rifle, they wouldn't touch one off).

Why did they do that? Because they KNEW their big-bore braked rifle sucked to shoot beside due to blast and were courteous to their fellow shooters. I appreciated that.

Calling a spade a spade isn't whining, its acknowledging the reality of a situation...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Learn to ignore the sounds. It's good training to get used to this stuff. That's just a part of indoor shooting. I actually like it for what it is. Same with the brass showers and movements around me.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    based on experience I've found that it is really cool to shoot stuff that creates a pressure wave capable of knocking stuff down and a flash that can be used to light things up for cameras taking video. On the other hand its not so fun to be next to these things when you're trying to shoot little cute stuff. All in all though the grin and bear it or get up, move back and watch is good advice. Somebody has to do it and it can't always be me.....

Frank

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Why would someone shoot a 30 caliber rifle at pistol distances? Kind of like delivering pizza in a semi truck.

They parked me beside a guy shooting a 300 winmag at point blank and I was asking the same question.. How long can a guy shoot a 300 winmag indoors at 15 yards???? Near as I could tell about 40 rounds. :) That will be one dead deer, if he connects with it.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Might've been an improvement.... :D

(I keed, I keed.)

HaHa. Other than the sea of humanity being much more than I prefer, Dallas and FW aren't too terrible. Austin now, is a different story, the blast would have sent those snowflakes running for the hills (assuming they would have ever allowed such a range in city limits in the first place)!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The old marlin outfitter is 444 marlin and is ported. Never have shot it indoors nor would I.

was working on handloads in the fall a wonderful day out no wind weekend lots of people showing up as I got there as early as I could. The two benches on each side of me went unused for quite some time. During the time the barrel was cooling between 5 shot groups people would move in the each of the benchs. Some of them would move back off after a five shot group. The kimber 82g being used when they moved in. When the outfitter had cooled off one side had paper targets on the bench the other had spent 22 brass pile. Bang the targets flew off one bench. Bang the pile of brass started flowing back to the ground. When that group of five was over both benches asked what in the hell the dragon was. Both got to fire a couple rounds with it. One just fired it once. I don't think the ports are bad from the back end of the rifle. When they fired it I was sitting at the right side bench and yes you could feel the ports.

That round gives Lots of powder room and lots of different powders can be used. Still think a 308 indoors is most likely worse.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't really mind the concussion or flying brass. Once it reaches levels that overwhelm my ear pro's rating, though, I'm leaving. I'm a delicate petunia who would rather not have tinnitus later in life. I've been exposed to plenty of explosions and gunshots and have maintained the vast majority of my hearing so far. I'd like to keep it that way.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Some of the annoyance level on indoor ranges depends on the size of the range. A range with only a half-dozen or less narrow lanes and a low ceiling doesn't allow the concussion from the higher powered long guns to dissipate. I didn't realize how contained this could be until a guy showed up in the lane next to me with some hot 5.56 loads in a Bushmaster. I could feel a concussion from every round he fired that I had never felt on countless military small arms ranges outdoors. It's understandable how the pressure wave can be disconcerting to some. I just made note of the phenomenon and went about obliterating the center of a quarter-size silhouette with a M1911 .45 ACP running full loads. I am mindful now when I fire 2-3/4 inch 12 gauge 1 oz slug rounds of the likely concussion it creates. If I can leave an open lane to buffer it between anyone else there and me, I will.

The Bushmaster was nowhere near the pressure wave concussions I had experienced during 21 years with Uncle Sam. When it shakes the ground and rattles the building, then I'll get concerned and might pack up to wait until another day. However, I don't believe there are any indoor ranges that allow M2 BMGs, recoilless rifles, 40mm grenade launchers or 8-inch howitzers. Asked if I could bring this in and the answer was, "Uhhhh, no, our backstop might not be able to handle it."

35004784964_6d94007349_z.jpg

That's OK, it would have required taking out the range's back wall to get it in. Easy enough to do but I don't think they'd have cared for that much and the diesel fumes can be noxious.

John

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    i prefer to do my shooting outside but don't mind the concussion from rifles or large handguns when at an indoor range. makes me smile and giggle and think to myself:
    murica.jpg

Top Bottom