• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Ok, so let me preface the story by saying I typically remove my weapon before entering Hancock Regional Hospital. I did not intend on carrying.

I was approached by Hancock County acting as security, he requested my LTCH, after reviewing asked me to please either take this weapon to my car or he could hang on to it in the security office. As my fiancé works there and he was a uniformed officer (knowing he was) I stated he could hold on to it if it wouldn't trouble him otherwise I would take it to my vehicle as I typically leave it there. He held on to it.

Very professional nice man, went to retrieve it and he had removed the chambered round and the magazine.

I smiled at him discussed my thoughts, he stated that I need to remember almost all places prohibit a carried gun. He mentioned WalMart and the hardware store as two examples.

I want to be in law enforcement so i feel he did ok, except the statement he made about carrying in public places.

I think it's safe to say MOST private business do not restrict it. I didn't argue with him, but I think it made me wonder if that was the problem. Most places don't restrict it, why would he think they do?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I would have told him to **** off after I slammed the mag back hone and put one in the chamber where it belongs as I left the area. Unless of course my wife worked there, so she wouldnt have to hear any crap from others.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Very professional nice man, went to retrieve it and he had removed the chambered round and the magazine.

Sorry, but now, he was not. Jacking with guns in public is extremely unprofessional.

Every time you load or unload a firearm the weapon may discharge, especially if it contains an inertia firing pin.

The cop endangered you and everyone in the hospital.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Sorry, but now, he was not. Jacking with guns in public is extremely unprofessional.

Every time you load or unload a firearm the weapon may discharge, especially if it contains an inertia firing pin.

The cop endangered you and everyone in the hospital.

He didn't do this in public, it was done somewhere remote. He probably did it in the security office.

Also, what does this have to do with his professionalism and attitude?

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    He took your firearm

Uh, no. The OP was given a choice of taking to his vehicle or leaving it at security office. OP asked to leave it at security office if it wasn't too much trouble.
    The officer cleared a loaded firearm that wasn't going to be under direct supervision while it was in his care. There is always a possibility the officer would be needed elsewhere in a security position.

Called safe storage of an unsupervised firearm

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He didn't do this in public, it was done somewhere remote. He probably did it in the security office.

Also, what does this have to do with his professionalism and attitude?

Here's the problem, even if unloading is done in private, bullets can still penetrate walls, doors and windows.

If he was a professional possessed of a good attitude, he would not have put others at risk by jacking with guns where people can get hurt.

He would have simply placed the gun in a lock box or had you return it to the car. Jacking with the weapon creates two opportunities to endanger lives, unloading and the reloading. This is unprofessional and smacks of ignorance of how firearms function.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    You didn't clear the weapon before handing it over to him? He didn't request you to do this? I would have walked out. Not handing my gun to no one unless required.

^^^This

OP was given an option, he picked the option more convenient to him. If you don't want someone to handle your firearm, then opt to lock it in your vehicle.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    In my opinion the OP made a huge mistake. Being lazy or whatever. NEVER give up your gun to someone you don't know when given a choice.

Again, If you have to walk 5 miles, NEVER give up your gun if given the choice.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    The officer didn't reload the firearm. The danger is greater on the reload than the unloading. It does amaze me that so many people think an officer doesn't know how to unload a semiautomatic handgun. They clear firearms all the time at the gun range, when discovered on searches and so on.

Before you even start on the argument, yes I know its safer to do in the proper location, but since you assume they have a lock box to secure a loaded firearm, why not carry the assumption one step further and assume they have somewhere to safely clear the weapon?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    id of given it to the cop as well. if someone inside would of heard what was being said about fire arms then followed me outside enough to see where i was parked and then saw me go back in then that leaves an opportunity to have your car broken into and another weapon on the street.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    id of given it to the cop as well. if someone inside would of heard what was being said about fire arms then followed me outside enough to see where i was parked and then saw me go back in then that leaves an opportunity to have your car broken into and another weapon on the street.

+1. We see just how easy this can happen too as another member of this forum was only away from his vehicle for less that 15 minutes and lost a SBR with a suppressor. That "no one will take my gun" moto is great until you have your gun stolen because you'd rather not let a trained LEO handle your weapon. I bet in my few years in as a LEO I have handled and cleared more firearms then 98% of non-leo's with the exception of those that work at a gun store or as a gun smith.

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    me ,I would have hid my gun on my body and not handed it over , if it had discharged you would no longer have it , what about accidental shootings?? never condition your self for handing over your arms.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Here's the problem, even if unloading is done in private, bullets can still penetrate walls, doors and windows.

If he was a professional possessed of a good attitude, he would not have put others at risk by jacking with guns where people can get hurt.

He would have simply placed the gun in a lock box or had you return it to the car. Jacking with the weapon creates two opportunities to endanger lives, unloading and the reloading. This is unprofessional and smacks of ignorance of how firearms function.

I doubt there's a safe. He emptied the gun away from the general public, I don't go to a bullet proof room to unload my guns do you?

In fact sometimes I release the magazine and clear the chamber right in my bedroom. I can also assure that an officer of his age probably had more experience with handguns than I have been alive.

His only mistake in my eyes was telling me most places restrict this.

His perception is obviously colored by his career, and frequency, I doubt he has ever had to respond to a call where someone was carrying in a place that allowed this.

He also recognized my right to open carry, and he did verbally acknowledge this.

Top Bottom