• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I doubt there's a safe. He emptied the gun away from the general public, I don't go to a bullet proof room to unload my guns do you?

In fact sometimes I release the magazine and clear the chamber right in my bedroom. I can also assure that an officer of his age probably had more experience with handguns than I have been alive.

His only mistake in my eyes was telling me most places restrict this.

His perception is obviously colored by his career, and frequency, I doubt he has ever had to respond to a call where someone was carrying in a place that allowed this.

He also recognized my right to open carry, and he did verbally acknowledge this.

At the hospital I work at there is a safe specifically for firearms so don't be surprised if this hospital has one too. As far as a place to unload it, no, he probably unloaded it at his desk. As to the rest of it there are already enough opinions on this topic.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    me ,I would have hid my gun on my body and not handed it over , if it had discharged you would no longer have it , what about accidental shootings?? never condition your self for handing over your arms.

I'd pimp slap you for this in real life... I open carry, I was carrying a full size 1911, I am not going to fear others judgments of my choice to exercise my rights.

Conditioning is not even a part of this, this discussion is about the confrontation not the cause. I was legally carrying and he did everything legally. I chose to give another trained individual my firearm, one I trust and respect.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It does amaze me that so many people think an officer doesn't know how to unload a semiautomatic handgun. They clear firearms all the time at the gun range, when discovered on searches and so on.

Officer Cowboy who took my 1911 (but not my other two guns) did not have the slightest idea how to unload my 1911 and he pointed it at passing joggers, moms with strollers and finally my leg as he looked at it like an ape from 2001.

I doubt there's a safe.

If he's a professional, there's a safe.

I can also assure that an officer of his age probably had more experience with handguns than I have been alive

Not sure if that's a proper assumption. Officer Cowboy was older than me but he waved the 1911 all over Broad Ripple via his ignorance of my handgun.

I don't go to a bullet proof room to unload my guns do you?

Yes, of course, as does any professional.

The Four Rules light is always on. Ensure your target and its backstop. "Just unload it in the parking lot" endangers society at large as there is no magic force field in a parking lot, an office, your car, inter alia. Above all unloading/loading without a proper backstop is unprofessional.

Last edited:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    So you base your judgment of all LEO's by the experience you had with one?

So are all doctors inept because one messes up?

Are all mechanics buffoons because one installed an improper part?

I tend to respect every professionals ability in their chosen field until they prove they are inept. If I had the attitude you describe then I would feel everyone was an idiot, including people posting on this Board.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wouldn't project that far, but certainly given my experience and this hospital security guard, the police should have no presumption of competence with firearms.

Most gun owners in fact have no idea that firearms can discharge without triggers being pulled. Heck, just attend one Indy 1500 and look at the gun handling and you can tell we have a long row to hoe as far as bringing competent gun handling to the masses.

Last edited:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    The officer didn't reload the firearm. The danger is greater on the reload than the unloading. It does amaze me that so many people think an officer doesn't know how to unload a semiautomatic handgun. They clear firearms all the time at the gun range, when discovered on searches and so on.

Before you even start on the argument, yes I know its safer to do in the proper location, but since you assume they have a lock box to secure a loaded firearm, why not carry the assumption one step further and assume they have somewhere to safely clear the weapon?
    yea kinda like the dea agent that was the only one trained to handle that firearm.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I'd pimp slap you for this in real life... I open carry, I was carrying a full size 1911, I am not going to fear others judgments of my choice to exercise my rights.

Conditioning is not even a part of this, this discussion is about the confrontation not the cause. I was legally carrying and he did everything legally. I chose to give another trained individual my firearm, one I trust and respect.
    pimp slap? are 12 year olds allowed on here?

MBG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indy-SW
    ugh, I am sooo tired of the gun can go off while loading babble. Please, come to the range and demonstrate on MY gun, it going off while racking the slide....

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I'm going go ahead and say, there's quite a few LEO's that have never handled a firearm until they got hired, went to the academy, etc. Not hating on LEO's, I plan on being one when I graduate in May. Yes they may clear a heck of a lot of firearms while on duty but it doesn't mean they know how to do it correctly the first time touching a certain model. I'm guilty of this. My :twocents: would be to NOT open carry into a hospital. Aren't you aware that dang near every hospital prohibits that?? and if a security guard asked for my weapon, I'd decline, say goodbye to my fiance, and leave (I conceal carry, so we wouldn't have this problem in the first place). I wouldn't risk giving it to him, I'm not afraid to leave it in my car where I'm from but heck I don't know what's going down in Hancock County. This seems like a common sense issue.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I'm going go ahead and say, there's quite a few LEO's that have never handled a firearm until they got hired, went to the academy, etc. Not hating on LEO's, I plan on being one when I graduate in May. Yes they may clear a heck of a lot of firearms while on duty but it doesn't mean they know how to do it correctly the first time touching a certain model. I'm guilty of this. My :twocents: would be to NOT open carry into a hospital. Aren't you aware that dang near every hospital prohibits that?? and if a security guard asked for my weapon, I'd decline, say goodbye to my fiance, and leave (I conceal carry, so we wouldn't have this problem in the first place). I wouldn't risk giving it to him, I'm not afraid to leave it in my car where I'm from but heck I don't know what's going down in Hancock County. This seems like a common sense issue.
    ive been into several hospitals and never had a problem carrying. did i miss the signs?

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Officer Cowboy who took my 1911 (but not my other two guns) did not have the slightest idea how to unload my 1911 and he pointed it at passing joggers, moms with strollers and finally my leg as he looked at it like an ape from 2001.

If he's a professional, there's a safe.

Not sure if that's a proper assumption. Officer Cowboy was older than me but he waved the 1911 all over Broad Ripple via his ignorance of my handgun.

Yes, of course, as does any professional.

The Four Rules light is always on. Ensure your target and its backstop. "Just unload it in the parking lot" endangers society at large as there is no magic force field in a parking lot, an office, your car, inter alia. Above all unloading/loading without a proper backstop is unprofessional.

Wow... Wow... Wow...

Wow...

I don't even want to respond, not even at all.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    ive been into several hospitals and never had a problem carrying. did i miss the signs?

Or did the security guards miss you?

I'm not sure where you are from, but any hospital affiliated with Indiana University School of Medicine prohibits weapons on their grounds...that is quite a few large hospitals around the state. I'm from Indy, don't frequent hospitals (thank god) but I'm willing to bet most have a policy that prohibits weapons, if they don't I'm willing to bet a security guard is going to take attention to you. Maybe this isn't the case in a smaller, county hospital. As I said, my :twocents:.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Just because the hospital prohibits this does not mean I am doing anything wrong.

Why the heck do we give police officers guns if they can't handle them properly?

Let's be honest, he didn't break ANY of the four rules and absolutely did not act unprofessional. He repeated the same incorrect babble you just did.

The common sense thing is that you should obay the law and respect rules, unposted rules are no rules in my book. I can't be expected to know every single little pointless rule a hospital has when it's not posted.

Top Bottom