• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian86992

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Is it possible that the sticking point is holding a Florida driver's license? If you surrender it and get an Indiana Driver's license, it might help to establish residency, at least in the eyes of the people looking at the paperwork if not the law.

Short answer is yes but that is because in order to have a IN drivers license, I must be an IN resident, in which case I must not claim FL residency and therefore cannot vote in FL, which means I'll wait until the election has passed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Short answer is yes but that is because in order to have a IN drivers license, I must be an IN resident, in which case I must not claim FL residency and therefore cannot vote in FL, which means I'll wait until the election has passed.

That will work. We need your votes in Florida more than Indiana this time around, sir.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If you are a student, be careful getting that IN drivers license you may lose your parents insurance etc. It could also impact your student aid as well and if you go to Rose that could be a hefty chunk of change.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If you are a Rose student and are a Freshman you are in the dorms which means no gun if you are Greek 4-7 houses are also on campus which means no gun and I know for a fact one of the off campus fraternities are also no gun zones as well my bet is they all are.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah I was in the same situation as you. I own a house in Indiana but work in IL. I called my local Sheriff's office and lady on the phone was not sure so she transferred me to a state police firearms division. Guy on the phone was very helpful and basically explained that simply having a house or any kind of property is not enough in Indiana to satisfy residency requirement for LTCH. You have to work (aka pay taxes) in Indiana in order to qualify. So I just ended up getting a Florida permit. Oh and I do have a IL drivers license :dunno:

Brian86992

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    If you are a Rose student and are a Freshman you are in the dorms which means no gun if you are Greek 4-7 houses are also on campus which means no gun and I know for a fact one of the off campus fraternities are also no gun zones as well my bet is they all are.

I'm neither a freshman nor on campus.

Yeah I was in the same situation as you. I own a house in Indiana but work in IL. I called my local Sheriff's office and lady on the phone was not sure so she transferred me to a state police firearms division. Guy on the phone was very helpful and basically explained that simply having a house or any kind of property is not enough in Indiana to satisfy residency requirement for LTCH. You have to work (aka pay taxes) in Indiana in order to qualify. So I just ended up getting a Florida permit. Oh and I do have a IL drivers license :dunno:

Thank you, this is good info to have.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    This is just some mularkey hog wash to get the run around. You are a Floridian get a Florida license.... wait your to young for that let me try to exploit the indiana law. So either wait till you are old enough in Florida. Or suck it up and become an Indiana resident. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to make gains. Are out of state tuition and parents insurance a worthy sacrifice? That's up to you

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    This is just some mularkey hog wash to get the run around. You are a Floridian get a Florida license.... wait your to young for that let me try to exploit the indiana law. So either wait till you are old enough in Florida. Or suck it up and become an Indiana resident. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to make gains. Are out of state tuition and parents insurance a worthy sacrifice? That's up to you

No out of state tuition at Rose its the same 30k for everyone.

Brian86992

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    wait your to young for that let me try to exploit the indiana law.

I just want to be clear about this.
    Many of the responses I've received have been rather defensive in tone. I'm not attempting to exploit the law in any way, I can assure I wouldn't be posting on the internet if that were my intention. I was looking for help interpreting Indiana law which I have indeed received. Armchair Operator's post was one of the most helpful where he brought to light that much of it has to do with taxation, something I had not previously considered.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Gee wiz! Way to make yourself NOT come off as an ***hole! I've seen WAY dumber questions/posts on this forum with a less hostile response than this guy is getting right now! I feel like this a legitimate question! I know if i had a chance to carry earlier, i would look into it! It may be him looking for a "loophole" but it's one I'd look into myself.

Anyway, now that i have THAT off my chest. Man, i just suggest you WAIT IT OUT!!! I'm 19 myself, also in college. So i understand the want to own a LTCH and carry a firearm. I do not have one because OF the fact that I'm a college student. Budget is an issue, and I see no need for one when I can't carry here anyway. However, it sounds like in order to obtain an Indy LTCH, you will have to go through ALOT trouble to get one. You may end up forfeiting something you will regret later! I know it's not what you're wanting to hear, but just wait it out! It makes turning 21 THAT much better :D

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Is Utah permit an option? I don't know their age requirement.

If you live in a state that recognizes the Utah permit, Utah requires that you first obtain a permit/license from your home state before they will issue a non res. You also have to be at least 21 years old.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    States make their own rules.

Personal Income Tax. A Florida resident doesn't pay it.

LTCH. In Indiana, it can be had at 18, and lasts a lifetime.

Pick your poison.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just want to be clear about this.
    Many of the responses I've received have been rather defensive in tone. I'm not attempting to exploit the law in any way, I can assure I wouldn't be posting on the internet if that were my intention. I was looking for help interpreting Indiana law which I have indeed received. Armchair Operator's post was one of the most helpful where he brought to light that much of it has to do with taxation, something I had not previously considered.

Residency requirements for out of state students.

Resident and Nonresident Student Status for IU Fee Purposes: Enrollment Bulletin: Indiana University Bloomington

It sounds like you may not qualify for IN residency. See section 2.

2. A person shall be classified as a “resident student” if he or she has continuously resided in Indiana for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first scheduled day of classes of the term in which the individual registers in the University, subject to the exception (c).

Secretary of State : Election Division: College Students More voting focused but could apply.

Please get qualified legal advice before switching residency.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Those are only policies...

Let me give you these short anecdotes of when I went to Rose (not terribly long ago).
    #1 My best friend was caught with guns in his truck. Told him to call his dad to come get them because they knew his dad lived only 20 minutes away. It may have also helped that he worked for public safety (the student not the parent).
    #2 Sophomore year I was a SA by myself (didn't have an SA partner). I had my handguns in my room and I did dry-fire drills at night when I went to bed. It was a great way to unwind and relax and develop good trigger control too.
    #3 When I was an SA one of my freshmen residents decided it would be a good idea to hunt squirrels on campus out of his dorm window with a .22 (sometimes you can't fix stupid, especially redneck stupid). His intentions were good (he was cleaning and eating the squirrels to purge his system from the nasty Aramark cafeteria food), but his procedures were a bit off. He got caught. His guns were confiscated. His punishment? Next time you go back home stop by the office and pick your guns up so you can take them home with you.
    #4 Sometime throughout sophomore year I had mistakenly had ammo shipped to my campus address instead of my parents address. You should have seen the crusty old mail-room guy freak out when I went to pick it up. He called student affairs and was trying to get me kicked out of school. Students affairs told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, give me the ammo, and tell me I need to take it off campus immediately.
    #5 I carried very discreetly sophomore year-senior year there. Keep it in your backpack and keep it zipped and on you at all times, or carry deeply concealed on your body. It's easy and 99% chance that IF you get caught they will be much more lenient than you expect them to be. In my years there I knew multiple people in the gun-club that carried on campus regularly and not a single person ever got "caught" carrying. If you can get a license I say carry deeply concealed and shut up about it.
    #6 I lived in an off-campus fraternity that had it in the by-laws that guns weren't allowed on the property. The officers knew I had guns, I shot varmints on the property on a regular basis (coons in the trash, groundhogs digging under the sidewalks etc) and nobody said a word. Those "policies" are more-so of a liability protection than anything else. They limited the liability of the organization if something were to happen.

To the OP. When I was there I had a friend going through the same problems. Only he was an IL resident so there was NO way for him to get a permit/license/etc through his state of residence. And at the time you HAD to have a license to transport a handgun, even if going to a range. He was in quite a pickle, and ultimately he just ended up taking me with him every time we went to the range. It worked out pretty well, but didn't solve his problem that well. He even had a part-time (20 hr/wk) job and tried to apply for a permit but couldn't do so without changing residency according to the sources he checked out. I understand your problem and I wish you the best. If you need/want anymore advice or have any questions shoot me a PM. I was pretty deeply involved in the gun-club at Rose and as an SA I had, and still have, connections to Student Affairs. Rose gives it's students a LOT more freedom and leeway than most any other college in the state and that is what makes Rose such a great school.

Rose is much more gun-friendly than you think. Up until 2008 they had a fantastic gun-club. Out of all the extra-curricular activities on campus the gun-club had the highest participation rate of both professors (yes, imagine going shooting for fun with your professors) and students alike. The last year of the gun-club they had a budget of approximately $30,000 of which the majority was for ammunition for the open shoots. The decision to shut down the gun-club was not the administrators of the school AFAIK. The decision was forced upon them by the schools liability insurance due to an "incident" at one of the shoots where a student made an operator error and injured himself to the tune of stitches and permanent scarring. The thing that made it rather messy was the fact that he violated school & gun-club procedures and snuck into the shoot without signing a liability waiver. He filed a lawsuit against the school and the school's insurance company flipped out; I guess up until that point they didn't realize that Rose even had a gun-club.

BTW, if you don't know about it already, the range the gun-club used to use (before the club was shut down) is called ProTEQ firearms about 20 minutes from the campus. The owner can get pretty mad if you walk all over him etc, but he if you respect his property he is a great, down-to-earth man, and he provides a fantastic range with a simple list of rules to follow. He is especially interested in getting the younger generation out shooting and IIRC it's only $5/year for college students to become a member of the range. That is the only fee you will have to pay to use the range. For that $5/year you get paper & paint to make your own target, 25 yd, 50 yd, 100 yd, 200 yd, & 300 yd target backstops and also clay-pigeon throwers (nothing fancy). If you need more info let me know.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom