• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Interesting that we let people who are at least 18 serve in the military and vote, something far more dangerous than carrying a handgun btw, but in many states prohibit the same people (i.e. 18-20 yr olds) from obtaining a concealed carry license. Just saying I feel your pain.

Since you sound like a full-time student, you may have some difficulty getting "residency."

See - BMV: Indiana Residency Requirements

"For the purposes of obtaining a driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card, the following persons living in Indiana solely for any of the following reasons are not considered to be residents of Indiana:
    • Educational purposes
    • Active duty in the Armed Forces
    • Temporary employment "
    Although it pertains to voting, see also: "IC 3-5-5-7
    Temporary residency
    Sec. 7. A person does not gain residency in a precinct into which the person moves for:
    (1) temporary employment;
    (2) educational purposes; or
    (3) other purposes;
    without the intent of making a permanent home in the precinct."

Another option might be a non-resident license, but the ones with which I'm familiar (UT, AZ, PA, CT, and VA) all require an age of 21. Not sure if there are any that have an 18 yr min req.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting that we let people who are at least 18 serve in the military and vote, something far more dangerous than carrying a handgun btw, but in many states prohibit the same people (i.e. 18-20 yr olds) from obtaining a concealed carry license. Just saying I feel your pain.

Since you sound like a full-time student, you may have some difficulty getting "residency."

"For the purposes of obtaining a driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card, the following persons living in Indiana solely for any of the following reasons are not considered to be residents of Indiana:
    • Educational purposes
    • Temporary employment "
    Temporary residency
    Sec. 7. A person does not gain residency in a precinct into which the person moves for:
    (3) other purposes;

Another option might be a non-resident license, but the ones with which I'm familiar (UT, AZ, and PA) all require an age of 21. Not sure if there are any that have an 18 yr min req.

Yeah at 17 you can carry a machine gun in the streets of Irak and die for your country but not carry a handgun for self defense in the US. :rolleyes:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You dont actually need to be a US Citizen to get a LTCH.You just need to be a legal Indiana resident.

:twocents:

Good point. My wife is a Canadian citizen and moved to the US when we got married. She has a visa and permanent resident status. She applied for and received her IN LTCH. I love telling my Illinois co-workers that my wife isn't even a US Citizen yet, but that she has a LTCH in the state of IN. I love Indiana! :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good point. My wife is a Canadian citizen and moved to the US when we got married. She has a visa and permanent resident status. She applied for and received her IN LTCH. I love telling my Illinois co-workers that my wife isn't even a US Citizen yet, but that she has a LTCH in the state of IN. I love Indiana! :D

Yep.
    Many people dont know that you can buy a gun at your local FFL and get a LTCH when you are not a US citizen though.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Gee wiz! Way to make yourself NOT come off as an ***hole! I've seen WAY dumber questions/posts on this forum with a less hostile response than this guy is getting right now! I feel like this a legitimate question! I know if i had a chance to carry earlier, i would look into it! It may be him looking for a "loophole" but it's one I'd look into myself.

Anyway, now that i have THAT off my chest. Man, i just suggest you WAIT IT OUT!!! I'm 19 myself, also in college. So i understand the want to own a LTCH and carry a firearm. I do not have one because OF the fact that I'm a college student. Budget is an issue, and I see no need for one when I can't carry here anyway. However, it sounds like in order to obtain an Indy LTCH, you will have to go through ALOT trouble to get one. You may end up forfeiting something you will regret later! I know it's not what you're wanting to hear, but just wait it out! It makes turning 21 THAT much better :D

Very well put. It's not a loophole at all. It's not him trying to exploit anything. He LIVES in Indiana, by way of living on campus for school, therefore he should be an Indiana resident. Just because he doesn't work in Indiana, does not make him a nonresident. I, too, feel like this is a legit question.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    He doesn't go to IU. His fees are unaffected by state of residence at the private school he attends.

Residency requirements for out of state students.

Resident and Nonresident Student Status for IU Fee Purposes: Enrollment Bulletin: Indiana University Bloomington

It sounds like you may not qualify for IN residency. See section 2.

2. A person shall be classified as a “resident student” if he or she has continuously resided in Indiana for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first scheduled day of classes of the term in which the individual registers in the University, subject to the exception (c).

Secretary of State : Election Division: College Students More voting focused but could apply.

Please get qualified legal advice before switching residency.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Very well put. It's not a loophole at all. It's not him trying to exploit anything. He LIVES in Indiana, by way of living on campus for school, therefore he should be an Indiana resident. Just because he doesn't work in Indiana, does not make him a nonresident. I, too, feel like this is a legit question.
    That is a legitimate question. what about stay home moms/dads? They don't "work" in Indiana, some living in Indiana their entire life, how can they be residents?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Go back and read the statute. You EITHER have to be a resident OR have a regular place of business or employment in Indiana to apply. One has nothing to do with the other. He has not stated that he has a "regular place of business or employment" in Indiana, so the question is whether he is a resident. Laying your head on a pillow in the state does not make you a resident. Having a place you get mail in Indiana does not make you a resident. There is not an extremely bright line, but when you have a Florida driver's license and you declare yourself a Florida resident for voting, it's tough to prove that you are an Indiana resident.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    As someone that has been a permanent resident in six different states over the years, here's my 2 cents:

Apparently, you're are (or were) seeking one for Indiana due to Florida's age requirement of 21.

Florida is a Shall Issue state and will issue concealed carry permits to Residents and Non-Residents that meet the state requirements for a Florida concealed carry permit.

Indiana is a Shall Issue State and issues concealed handgun licenses to residents of Indiana as well as out-of-state/non-residents that are not under the age of eighteen.

The state is apparently open to you applying after you provide verifyable information about full-time employment inside, or outside of Indiana.

So, apply again following graduation, and after securing full-time employment...

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne

• Educational purposes
    • Temporary employment "
    Temporary residency
    (3) other purposes;

Another option might be a non-resident license, but the ones with which I'm familiar (UT, AZ, PA, CT, and VA) all require an age of 21. Not sure if there are any that have an 18 yr min req.

Secretary of State : Election Division: College Students

Defines permanent residency requirements.

"College Students"

"Under Indiana law, each person who applies to register to vote must state the address of their "permanent residence." Permanent residence means where the person has their ‘permanent home and principal establishment" and where, when the person is away, the person has the "intention of returning."

A person can only have one permanent residence under Indiana law. However, where a person's permanent residence is located will depend on the facts of their situation and their intentions.

For some, but not all, college students, their permanent residence will be the address that they traveled from to attend school.

For other college students, who have no intention of returning to that address, their permanent residence will be in the community where they are attending school."

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/brian86992.htmlBrian86992 has already stated that there is no intention to remain in Indiana after graduation.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    He doesn't go to IU. His fees are unaffected by state of residence at the private school he attends.
    That is true.

To clarify, I used the IU link but it is simpler to other Indiana college guide lines for residency as a student, more than 12 months of residing in state before attending the first class, intent to reside in Indiana.

This link defines residency requirements very clearly.

[/QUOTE]Under Indiana law, each person who applies to register to vote must state the address of their "permanent residence." Permanent residence means where the person has their ‘permanent home and principal establishment" and where, when the person is away, the person has the "intention of returning."

A person can only have one permanent residence under Indiana law. However, where a person's permanent residence is located will depend on the facts of their situation and their intentions.

For some, but not all, college students, their permanent residence will be the address that they traveled from to attend school.
    For other college students, who have no intention of returning to that address, their permanent residence will be in the community where they are attending school.

In short, there is no rule on legal residence that applies to all college students. Each case and each individual is different.[/QUOTE]

And I did recommended qualified legal advice, he just got denied as a non-resident and now wants to apply as a resident. I would assume this might raise a red flag.

Anyone know if falsely claiming IN residency could be considered a felony?

Last edited:

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That is true.

To clarify, I used the IU link but it is simpler to other Indiana college guide lines for residency as a student, more than 12 months of residing in state before attending the first class, intent to reside in Indiana.

This link defines residency requirements very clearly.

[/QUOTE]Under Indiana law, each person who applies to register to vote must state the address of their "permanent residence." Permanent residence means where the person has their ‘permanent home and principal establishment" and where, when the person is away, the person has the "intention of returning."

For other college students, who have no intention of returning to that address, their permanent residence will be in the community where they are attending school.

In short, there is no rule on legal residence that applies to all college students. Each case and each individual is different.[/QUOTE]

And I did recommended qualified legal advice, he just got denied as a non-resident and now wants to apply as a resident. I would assume this might raise a red flag.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...The state is apparently open to you applying after you provide verifyable information about full-time employment inside, or outside of Indiana.

So, apply again following graduation, and after securing full-time employment...

He must either be an Indiana resident or have a "regular place of business or employment" in Indiana. The law does not require 40 hours.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    As someone that has been a permanent resident in six different states over the years, here's my 2 cents:

Apparently, you're are (or were) seeking one for Indiana due to Florida's age requirement of 21.

Florida is a Shall Issue state and will issue concealed carry permits to Residents and Non-Residents that meet the state requirements for a Florida concealed carry permit.

Indiana is a Shall Issue State and issues concealed handgun licenses to residents of Indiana as well as out-of-state/non-residents that are not under the age of eighteen.

The state is apparently open to you applying after you provide verifyable information about full-time employment inside, or outside of Indiana.

Close. Let me help you with this.

Indiana is a "shall issue state." It issues a License to Carry a Handgun, which does not define concealed or openly carried handguns, to residents of Indiana OR residents of other states that work in the state, but live out of state. There is no Indiana non-resident LTCH.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    your NOT an Indiana resident. you attend school here. you dont work here....no LTCH for you. Get one from your state of residence.

Not quite sure why you thought you were special. The rules are clear

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I also graduated from Rose and I guess my diploma and the money it took to earn was not worth risking on breaking a policy that if they chose to enforce would cost you everything but that's just me.
    If they choose to enforce any of those policies to the extent that you're proposing then you're a very problematic person or you've injured/killed or seriously threatened life with the actions they're expelling you for. Maybe you don't have the same experiences as I do but being an SA really opened my eyes up to just how much you can get away with. Story time again for non-firearm related incidents to give you a guage of just how tolerant the administrators are.

#1 Very problematic drunk freshman. We actually kept a record-book of behavior after about the 10th incident involving him in a state of extreme intoxication. He broke doors, windows, lights, other people's property on a regular occasion. Painted graffiti on the walls in the academic buildings and in dorms. He caused well over $15,000 worth of damage to Rose in his time there. When presented with the first 10 cases or so the administrators asked us to keep the record of what he did. After we had a pretty long list we presented it to them. Their punishment for him? At the end of this school year you're no longer welcome to live on-campus but you can still attend classes here.

#2 This is the only incident that I know of when a person was expelled while I was there. Triangle was having their annual card-board box maze and another person decided to rain on their parade and ruin the maze party. His grand idea to ruin their party was to light the maze on fire while people were in it. Everyone escaped with no injuries or minor injuries but the potential for injuries was HUGE. That guy was expelled IIRC. He petitioned to come back and was eventually allowed to come back I think.

So based upon the multitude of firearm-related stories presented and these stories here, I can say with great confidence that you won't be expelled for having firearms on campus unless you're already a very problematic person or you gravely endanger other students. It's really as simple as be a good student, don't do stupid things, and go about your business and you're in the clear.

I guess it's up to you as to how much risk you're willing to take, but for me the risk was worth it. The risk of being expelled is VERY, VERY, VERY small (at least it was when I was there) and the reward (in the form of potentially saving my life if I ever need my carry-gun) is VERY large.

:twocents:

Top Bottom