• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    And MY point is that $30 IS the new "normal". I keep seeing post after post, thread after thread, of people who say "I'd never pay $100 for a brick of .22!", but two years ago they said THE EXACT SAME THING about the $30 bricks. Once people get used to paying the price for it, there is absolutely no incentive to lower it.

Huge +1 either alot of these people weren't into shooting in 2008 or they were in a cave on Mars with their fingers in their ears... I wonder if these are the same people screaming, beating their chest and spear clashing on their shields over Cheaper Than Dirt (and associated ruckuss) but will be buying from them in 6 more months. The average gun owner tends to have the same attention span as the average American voter: You have their attention until the next sound byte or funny bumper sticker.

Everytime there is a rush, panic or tidal change, ammo pricing increases. $30 is going to be the new normal. I've been in the biz long enough to have seen this a few times already. When things "settle" down, it's going to be worse than before.

I hope everyone remembers the halcyon days of 350$ per 1k of M855, 150$ for 500 7.62x39 or 28$ plus tax for 550 ct .22 bricks, b/c those days are numbered.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Obama can say anything he wants, but there is a backlash to every action even if it isn't him, it will be his party. Support for gun control is falling faster and faster. If they try to reintroduce gun control, it will probably fail more.

I don't think support for more gun control is falling. It's just not the hot topic of the hour for the misinformation voters. Those same people that put Obama in office a second time still think you don't need your guns and should turn them in. I work these people and their opinions have not changed for the better, I can guarantee you that.

And personally, I'm not shooting up target ammo as it's not easy enough to replace it. I have plenty of other hobbies to do in the meantime... :dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    And personally, I'm not shooting up target ammo as it's not easy enough to replace it. I have plenty of other hobbies to do in the meantime... :dunno:

THIS! :rockwoot:

There is so much more than one can learn right now: First aid, physical training, study of law regarding firearms, learning to knit or make soap or learning to cook, field craft, etc... How about times when you don't have a gun? Learn combatives or the art of using a knife!

For all everyone howls about not being able to shoot to maintain their hunting prowess, for example, why not grab a set of binoculars or a scope and practice STALKING your prey so it doesn't get gamey b/c you spooked it?

For how much people talk about being tacticool, what if one has to "pop smoke and run"? I would imagine alot of people here don't realize the benefits of things like physical activity (such as better running speed and endurance, not to mention slower heart resting heart rate, good for shooting) not to mention their likely inability to run.

What about ye old favorite: Spending time with one's family, doing things around the house that needs done (when's the last time you cleaned those gutters mister?). Spend time with the wife. Watch BOTH seasons of Twin Peaks. Actually go to and enjoy your kid's game or go outside with them and throw around the pigskin. Go camping and be outside. Take up parkour (a few months in traction, you'll forget about shooting for a while).

For as much as we want ammo to miraculously appear on the shelves, sometimes it's the adversity that brings about diversity (adversity in lack of ammo bringing a diversity of newly learned skills or experiences)

Grogie, you are the man! :rockwoot:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    You kids do what you want. When prices approach "normal", I buy. I buy .22, I ask for it for Christmas and birthdays, And I always pick up a box or two of subsonic, when prices are right.
    I also pick up a box or two of the other thinsgs I shoot as they come on sale. I LOVE it when Dunham's has bulk packs of 9mm and .40 on sale. Two hundred fifty rounds of a quality remington hardball is just fun fun fun. It also is a great way to boost one's stock.
    Now, when supply is tight, and prices are crazy, I cut back on shooting the more expensive stuff, but I don't stop. One's trigger finger needs a LITTLE work to stay limber. And I shoot .22 just like usual. It's FUN! And I'd be stupid to let the vicissitudes of markets and politics stop me from something that is so enjoyable and constructive.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Ammo

Where are you able to find 9mm at? I haven't seen any in stock for a very long time.

Dunn's Sporting Goods in Pevely, MO has had a lot of 9mm and some .223. Federal 9mm for $14.99 / 50, Winchester white box for $16.99 / 50, Sellier and Bellot (SP?) for $14.99 / 50 and Federal .223 for $.55 rnd. I'm working here temporarily and the gun stores have ammo.

Two box limit of each kind. I don't need it, but I keep buying it just in case. You can have it for cost + shipping if you're in need.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Ya know if the $$$$ really does hit the fan there will be more guns laying around with ammo in'em than you can count. Just wipe the blood off and carry on. Your either gonna be collecting guns and ammo or someone is gonna kill you and get your stash. All this hording is really sorta ridiculous. Just keep enough laying around to get you through a skirmish or two and you should be good to go!

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    The "shortage" is misleading, since they are still producing ammo, it is just being bought up way faster than they can produce, its not like there is less ammo being made, there is less ammo to buy because there are more people buying ammo and a lot of people buying up as much as they can to resell for a profit. We've got guns in this country. When they start passing laws regulating ammo and limiting it, then we've got a real problem. If the dems win in 2014 then holy crap, get ready for it all.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    And MY point is that $30 IS the new "normal". I keep seeing post after post, thread after thread, of people who say "I'd never pay $100 for a brick of .22!", but two years ago they said THE EXACT SAME THING about the $30 bricks. Once people get used to paying the price for it, there is absolutely no incentive to lower it.

The new norm? I have not paid over 22.00 for 555 bulk pack since this who thing started, same price I paid before the panic. Granted its hard to find, but just about all ammo can be found for pre panic prices, just gotta be patient.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Sorta my point exactly. I'm NOT paying thirty bucks a brick. I'm NOT paying 25.00 a box for target ammo in 9 or 40. I'm slowly running out of .223, but it's coming down so that I should be able to buy at a reasonable price before it gets worrisome. Assuming the Jr. shooters can wait.... :)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm not really in a hurry to burn off sealed LC M855 that's going for more than $1 a round right now. I think I paid about $200 for 840 rounds a couple years back.

I'd have no problems buying a few boxes of something and hitting the range with it, though.

Only problem is managing to find anything to use on the range. Already used up most my cruddy ammunition.

I sure as heck wouldn't bother trying to stock pile anything at the current prices. I'm even a bit leary of QC issues...

gdkaiser

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Michiana-South Bend
    I was going to buy some 22lr 50 rnd federal I had seen on the shelf last week at rural king , but I decided since im sitting on three 30 cal ammo cans I was not going to fuel the panic. I just shoot my 781 or my t/c single shots 100-200 for a 2hr session in stead of last years 550 in a hour -to 2 hours from using my 10/22 using the the slower fire i'm hitting the targets no spraying like last years rapid fire on a target. will just wait on my 223/5.56 maybe shoot a mag of tula to just get some trigger time. or reload my 45 acp or my 7mm TCU. but your friend is the kind of person that is causing the shelves to be bare because he is a doomsday prepper. If it comes to that i'll defend as needed but if I die it was my time not going to panic over all the scare tactics used by the Oblabla liers club. I'll still shoot just single rounds make em count...only shot 2000 rounds last year and have enough to not let me get sucked into the b/s of a ammo scare or a president trying to commit treason.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Shoot for practice , won't pay outrageous prices like most are in the post crazy days , anytime now our fearless leader will stop purchasing ammo and the prices will go back down
    Hoarding does nothing unless you are going to re sell and by that time it won't be worth what he paid in the 1st place

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    I disagree with your friend. If you are willing to pay higher prices, ammo is still available. Many of us have enough ammo stockpiled that we could shoot for years at the same rate and still have some left over.

It sounds to me like your friend is one of two things:

1. stupid for not stocking up while ammo was on the shelf
    2. too cheap to buy ammo at current prices

I dont know why everyone is expected to be Nostradamus? " If you didnt stock up your stupid for not knowing there would be an ammo drought in 2013", said NO ONE in 1984.

Come on, get off your Im a Soothsayer Horse.
    :boxing:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have yet to go out and not be able to find ammo. I may have to make a couple stops but I have always managed to find it. Yeah prices have gone up but you can still find ammo at reasonable prices compared to online.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    I am trying my best not to hoard ammo the box of cci mini mags I am shooting right now have a price tag of 4.69 on them, Looks like i might need to find more soon

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Lets be honest, most people aren't buying ammo because they need it. They are buying it because everyone always wants more ammo and this shortage is an excuse to give the wife.

I love any excuse to buy more ammo. Why? Because when I have thousands of rounds sitting around I don't feel guilty for using it. It creates a convenient disconnect between the $50 you spent at Wal-Mart and what you just shot in an afternoon. Yes, its still the same thing, but it doesn't feel like it. Also, like others have said, prices only ever go up. So yes, if I see ammo at Wally world, I buy it (as long as its cheap). This shortage just gives me a way to justify it to my wife.

Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    My personal frustration with the “shortage” is two fold, first, as a recently certified NRA instructor involved with Boy Scouts I have had to tell our Scout Master that I can’t get the local program going (at a reasonable cost) partly because there is no .22 ammo available, I have some additional trainer/personnel issues too, but if I don’t have ammo, what’s the point.

The other point is this, and this was brought up in a previous post, it doesn’t matter how much ammo you have stockpiled, 1000rds or 100000rds. If it gets to the point that the feds come to take your guns, they will, period. This fantasy that a lone firearms owner is in any way going to hold off the feds for more than the time it takes to; pinpoint you with infrared, determine that you aren’t going surrender (and I guess throw a bunch of flashbangs at you), before they shoot you, is just plain delusional. Heck they might even do it from a drone, if they consider you to be a domestic terrorist. Which is what all gun owners are right?

I guess what I’m saying, in my longest post ever, is that this panic buying is partly what is driving the prices up and causing part of the shortage. I wish that people would step back, take a deep breath, and buy what they need. I refuse to buy stuff I don’t need, and I yes (gasp) didn’t buy a bulk pack of .223 I saw on the shelf at a Wally world because I don’t have anything that shoots it. Of course “need” is different for everyone, if you shoot a lot you need more, if you haven't been to the range in 2 years, do you really "need" to buy all those bricks of .22 to hold off the feds?:draw:

Also before the posts start, I do believe in doing EVERYTHING we can to stop the feds and current administration from trampling on our Second Amendment rights!

Top Bottom