• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If you are referring to the hill just south of the 865 exit and the curve to go southbound that is a prime spot. Perfect to sit and catch some of those maniacs as they top the hill.
    I am no wallflower when I run the interstates but 85 on 465 seems to be a bit of a push

I was coming off 865 and merged onto 465 east. The "hill" was maybe a mile further east before 421.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Those guys running traffic on 465 on the East / South east sides last night caused stop and go traffic all the way from Washington St down/around to Emerson Ave. Both directions were CRAWLING.

THAT crap is dangerous. People gawking at what the police on the opposite side of the Interstate, instead of, you know, DRIVING are DANGEROUS.

Traffic gets/got so backed up when they do crap like this that it becomes a self-defeating (or is it?) mission. "Go cite speeders", they say. So they create a traffic situation where it's stop-and-go conditions for 7 miles = and can't get any more speeders. :n00b:

That said, I'm most often a 65mph driver, via Cruise Control, while I'm on 465 in my POV. And, as like said above, many times I'm one of the slowest on the road. There are times when I'll bump it up to 70ish (ahem) to get around a long line of traffic being held up by a semi. Even if I'm going a tick over 70, I'm still usually being pushed out of the way by someone.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a general rule of "no more than 10 over". Applying that rule in I465 is near suicidal, as 20+ over is the norm. Heck, 15 over is what the tractor/trailers run. I simply can't keep up, so tend to avoid I465 unless really necessary.

What's funny, is that I can run 10 over anywhere else, and I am right with the traffic.

On topic: if safety was the end goal, we would have patrol cars spaced evenly around the loop, just cruising back and forth. No tickets needed, as folks would be constantly watching their speed while in view of a cop.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    On topic: if safety was the end goal, we would have patrol cars spaced evenly around the loop, just cruising back and forth. No tickets needed, as folks would be constantly watching their speed while in view of a cop.

I've thought about this, too... But we all know how things get at certain distances behind the front of these rolling roadblocks. Lots of aggressive tailgating, lane changing, and etc. That type of behavior is way more likely to cause an accident than traveling in a straight line at 70 mph.

I think VERY unmarked vehicles, in traffic, pulling over and citing the aggressive and the stupid would work wonders - and not create rolling roadblocks.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Two unmarkeds were on I-70, eastbound.

30 minutes later, there was crash in that exact area.

If it's about safety, park a cruiser where everyone can see it. If it's about revenue, hide and seek.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IMPD and Indiana state police are out on 465 east side of town cashing in on the joke that is the speed limit on I465 again.

Now before I go forward I have not been cited for anything in years. My complaint is with the manner that this is being accomplished. As one of the many people caught in the artificial traffic jam they created today I had several near miss accidents that were caused not by people exceeding the speed limit but by a heavy police presence causing nearly instantaneous stops on the highway.

Anyway, who shouldthe complaints be directed at? Other than the internet of course

When I think of the times through the years that I've come closest to a pileup on I-465, it's NEVER been because of somebody driving fast.

Instead it's been when the police have somebody pulled over, and suddenly everybody's slamming on their brakes and cutting into traffic to get out of the right lane.

So this BS we hear about stopping people for exceeding an artificially low speed limit in the interest of "safety" is pure BS.

I remember the speed limit on I-465 was 70mph before the so-called "Arab oil embargo" in the early 1970's.
    When the speed limit was "temporarily" dropped to 55mph, we were assured by the government that the speed limit would be restored as soon as the Arab oil embargo was over.

I believe the government liked the income they got from ticketing people for not being able to abide by a BS speed limit and couldn't bring themselves to go back.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I have a general rule of "no more than 10 over". Applying that rule in I465 is near suicidal, as 20+ over is the norm. Heck, 15 over is what the tractor/trailers run. I simply can't keep up, so tend to avoid I465 unless really necessary.

What's funny, is that I can run 10 over anywhere else, and I am right with the traffic.

California did something similar decades ago when federal highway money was tied to average vehicle speed on freeways and interstates. They couldn't get the average speed down to the threshold and the state was in real danger of losing millions in federal highway funds. Their strategy was running CHP cars side by side at the (then) required 55 mph during times when higher density traffic was often traveling at an average of 65-70 mph. It caused massive traffic jams with vehicles backed up for tens of miles.

Eventually someone is going to file a claim with the city/county/state that the tactics currently being used have a callous disregard for public safety if statistics emerge showing a high incidence of collisions where these speed traps are operating.

John

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if we can't get a federal grant to fund the left lane lurker traffic jam law enforcement?

Vehicles that choose to use the fast lane for fast commuting typically aren't the problem. It becomes a difficulty when they have to drive like a nascar race to find a hole through the clueless, distracted, self centered, lollygaggers pacing everyone else.

What about the same for distracted driving period? What % of drivers do you come across with their phone in their hand?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What about the same for distracted driving period? What % of drivers do you come across with their phone in their hand?

Usually every freaking one of them. Sitting at a light, it goes green, car in front is on the ****ing phone and maybe 3 cars clear the light. I hate those inconsiderate butt heads.
    Car wondering around in the lane to your left....yup.....on the damn phone.

Car runs the light in front of you....yup, eyes down watching you tube.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    When I think of the times through the years that I've come closest to a pileup on I-465, it's NEVER been because of somebody driving fast.

Instead it's been when the police have somebody pulled over, and suddenly everybody's slamming on their brakes and cutting into traffic to get out of the right lane.

So this BS we hear about stopping people for exceeding an artificially low speed limit in the interest of "safety" is pure BS.

I remember the speed limit on I-465 was 70mph before the so-called "Arab oil embargo" in the early 1970's.
    When the speed limit was "temporarily" dropped to 55mph, we were assured by the government that the speed limit would be restored as soon as the Arab oil embargo was over.

I believe the government liked the income they got from ticketing people for not being able to abide by a BS speed limit and couldn't bring themselves to go back.

Exectly this. I do field service so I'm on the road a lot and it is scary how fast a highway can come to a halt just because a cop has somebody pulled over.

I believe an LEO's job shouldn't be mainly tax collection.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds as if you are at least moving at decent pace, while doing so. :):

I don't like to be in the way.

In all seriousness, I hated driving a marked car on the interstate. It's nerve racking to me to be the grand marshal of the traffic parade.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I don't like to be in the way.

In all seriousness, I hated driving a marked car on the interstate. It's nerve racking to me to be the grand marshal of the traffic parade.

I've seen this occur on I-465 in the past. It's like watching a large scale version of the pace car leading the field around the track at Indy Motor Speedway. As soon as he peels off for an exit, the race is on.

John

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    During morning rush hour, 80mph is normal cruising speed in the fast lane on northbound 465 on the west side. If you wanna make the 65 ramp, you go with the flow.

75 average on the east side, northbound. 80 for those who are impatient. (typically women)

Though nothing is as dangerous as the jackwagon I saw today at 4:15 on WB 70 between Emerson and the north split. I literally lost count of the lane changes the orange crossover of unknown origin made. I swear they were in a race. If there was room, they would cut you off and change lanes with inches to spare if it meant passing the person directly ahead of them. ANYTHING to drive faster than the flow. They went from one side of the interstate to the other in whatever pattern was required to get ahead of EVERYONE. No exaggeration, if this person had been riding a motorcycle, they WOULD have been lane splitting without a doubt. I actually considered calling 911 they were so reckless, but realized by the time the cellular dispatch patched me through to the ISP dispatch, they would have been out of sight and who knows where.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does the police action actually slow anyone down? I drove 465 and 70 repeatedly when my son was at Rose-Holman. I came to understand the Indy drives do not obey the law. Driving through there is the most dangerous thing I have ever done. It is worse than Jakarta or Kolkata. As many have said above, it seems the Indy drivers have decided that the law is either irrelevant or does not apply to them. Very, very few American drivers are actually safe at 80mph in high density traffic—on the open interstates with less traffic, no problem; but with the volume in Indy, most of them are an accident waiting to happen.

I appreciate the effort by the police to slow them down. I know it won't work, though, as these folks will not allow anyone to control their behavior. They will do 80, and let the devil have the road kill. I do not think the cops are out there for income. I think they are actually trying to slow folks down and save a few ives. The fact that the populace will not obey the law, artificial or not, just demonstrates they will not be controlled. Says something about the nature of people in general.

Just one more reason to stay out of Indy. Their town, their rules. NMP. I go through at night or other off-peak hours, or I take other routes to avoid the city, just like I do for Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, etc. Freedom rules.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    75 average on the east side, northbound. 80 for those who are impatient. (typically women)

Though nothing is as dangerous as the jackwagon I saw today at 4:15 on WB 70 between Emerson and the north split. I literally lost count of the lane changes the orange crossover of unknown origin made. I swear they were in a race. If there was room, they would cut you off and change lanes with inches to spare if it meant passing the person directly ahead of them. ANYTHING to drive faster than the flow. They went from one side of the interstate to the other in whatever pattern was required to get ahead of EVERYONE. No exaggeration, if this person had been riding a motorcycle, they WOULD have been lane splitting without a doubt. I actually considered calling 911 they were so reckless, but realized by the time the cellular dispatch patched me through to the ISP dispatch, they would have been out of sight and who knows where.
    Changing lanes is dangerous? Did someone have to brake or swerve to avoid this car?

Top Bottom