• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Changing lanes is dangerous? Did someone have to brake or swerve to avoid this car?
    Funny it's almost like a law was passed not long ago that said you move to the right to give way to faster traffic without regard for what the speed limit is.

Ahh if only it was enforced.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Funny it's almost like a law was passed not long ago that said you move to the right to give way to faster traffic without regard for what the speed limit is.

Regardless of speed, I hate when somebody blocks off the left lane and traffic backs up in all the lanes.
    Being bunched up like that is much more dangerous than just letting people pass them and allowing the traffic to spread out.

When I'm in the left lane and somebody comes up behind me, I ALWAYS either move over and let them pass or speed up to match their speed until I can move over.
    It's NOT my job to play traffic cop.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Regardless of speed, I hate when somebody blocks off the left lane and traffic backs up in all the lanes.
    Being bunched up like that is much more dangerous than just letting people pass them and allowing the traffic to spread out.

When I'm in the left lane and somebody comes up behind me, I ALWAYS either move over and let them pass or speed up to match their speed until I can move over.
    It's NOT my job to play traffic cop.

This! Keep right except to pass. Move over to allow traffic to move on. Simple way to reduce congestion.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    55mph on interstate is a joke. Same w/ inner city of 35mph. This aint 30s or the 40s.

65mph should be the norm on I465 and the inner city at least 45mph.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've passed by them multiple times driving the Camaro and the Ram (so no way they knew I was a cop) at mid 60s and never gotten their attention. I've had people passing me not get their attention. I'm going to guess it take at least low to mid 70s based on what I've seen them pull out on.

My cruise is set at 64 on I465. I'm typically driving for work when I'm on 465, so I have no need to push it. But, if I go any slower, I'm getting run over by everyone. I have passed and have been passed by various police officers, and apparently have never been noticed.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    55mph on interstate is a joke. Same w/ inner city of 35mph. This aint 30s or the 40s.

Try driving in Plainfield, brand new 4 lane 30MPH?????? US40, 30MPH through half of town? Let's not even get started on the "parkway" between I70 and 74, 45 whopping mph and they keep adding stops? By 2020 it will literally be the Ronald Reagan Stopway.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Actually before the so-called "Arab oil embargo" in the 1970's, the speed limit on all Interstates was 70mph, and it was 65mph on the regular 2 lane highways.
    We were told that the lowering to 55mph was just "temporary" until after the "embargo" was over, JUST to reduce gasoline use nationally.
    THE GOVERNMENT LIED TO US.

As to the original Interstate speed limit being originally 70mph, THE WAY they arrived at that speed was testing with late 1950's cars, and using the speed that 80% of people felt comfortable. (i.e. 80% compliance as they called it then)

If you've ever owned late 1950's though mid 1960's type cars, you know who they handle.

The cars of today handle much better, have better brakes, and are much more crash safe for the driver.

SO YES, the speed limits are a joke.

Interstates should be at least 80mph (at least in the less populated areas), and the regular 2 lane highways should be restored to at least 65mph like they used to be.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Speed limits would be a joke if the criteria for obtaining driver's license wasn't. Since they allow anyone capable of holding their slobber in for 15 seconds to buy a driver's license many of the speed limits are perfectly reasonable. 98% of the population has no idea what the three shiny objects are positioned at 10:00, 1:00 and 2:30 on their car and are completely unaware of how to activate those yellow party lights they sometimes see blinking on other cars. The concept that the different lanes on an interstate are there for slightly different purposes would come as a complete shock to many.

Since we're complaining about traffic absurdities, anyone ever driven through Carmel? 25mph everywhere and school zones that run from 7am to 7pm. Really?!?!?! 7am to 7pm? I don't know what kind of torture the Carmel school system must be getting away with but a 12 hour school day seems a bit extreme to me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since we're complaining about traffic absurdities, anyone ever driven through Carmel? 25mph everywhere and school zones that run from 7am to 7pm. Really?!?!?! 7am to 7pm? I don't know what kind of torture the Carmel school system must be getting away with but a 12 hour school day seems a bit extreme to me.
    Performing Arts Centers are spensive! A 12hr school zone is definitely nothing more than a revenue stream, the same as Carmel PD running radar on 465, and ticketing for turn signals in roundabouts!

Top Bottom