DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    5DxVABw.jpg

Opinels are great EDC blades…I have more than a few. I would also agree everyone should have at least one.

What makes these so good? I've never handled one, but just from the pictures in this thread, they look kinda "wimpy" or "cheaply made". I'm sure they're not, but if I were to see one laying on a table at a show or something, that would be my first impression. I'm not much of a knife guy so I trust those of you who are.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do tell, why you think this perennial classic does nothing well?
    Sucks at bushcraft work, one single pin holding the tiny tang together, batoning is dangerous, designed as a “fighting” knife, but balanced like a brick. Ok to sharpen but sucks at edge holding, leather rings that rot for a handle, shall I go on?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Sucks at bushcraft work, one single pin holding the tiny tang together, batoning is dangerous, designed as a “fighting” knife, but balanced like a brick. Ok to sharpen but sucks at edge holding, leather rings that rot for a handle, shall I go on?

Doesn't really suck that bad at bush craft work, but then, not what it was designed for either...

Don't like the idea of the pin holding it together, and you're right in that you don't want to go baton with it, but again... not what it's designed for...

I find that it has a pretty good balance as a fighting knife, when you consider that it also has quite a bit of general utility/camp knife in the design. I like it better with the top edge sharpened, as I had done with mine.

Leather rings won't rot if you take care of them, (and they are very comfy) but you're not really supposed to just leave your knives just sitting in a mud puddle for years on ends anyway... They are a blessing when it's 100 degrees out and you grab your knife, and it doesn't burn your hand. Same thing when it's freezing cold out, and you don't have gloves. The leather rings are a pretty good (no, not the best) grip in my book.

Also keep in mind that this is a 70+ year old design, so the the fact that the technology and designs in general have changed/improved a lot doesn't mean this classic shouldn't be in everyone's collection. As a daily use tool, I'd rather my ZT 0100, but it surely has earned a place in the collection with it's historic record of service. It's a classic everyone should own.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What makes these so good? I've never handled one, but just from the pictures in this thread, they look kinda "wimpy" or "cheaply made". I'm sure they're not, but if I were to see one laying on a table at a show or something, that would be my first impression. I'm not much of a knife guy so I trust those of you who are.

It's an inexpensive knife with a simple design, originally owned by farmers.
    I have one that my grandfather owned and carry for many years, still works fine.
    The lock is made of just one steel ring, no screws, nothing that can break.

They come in a variety of sizes as well, different woods and steel ... and can get really sharp.

opinel_collection_kindal-z.jpg

Some knife makers make custom versions of the Opinel if you want something more fancy.

a13c4bbdf432ac1844cf916bae47b348--edc-tools-handy-man.jpg

The knife has a pretty long history too.There's an Opinel museum in France right next to the factory where the knife is made.

It's a bit like a Glock.Few parts, simple design that works.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do tell, why everyone should own the knife that does nothing well?

I've never owned one but it's on my list of knives I would like to own based only on its history.

It's a pretty cool piece of Americana, especially if you get one that was carried during WW2 by a GI.

They make a replica of the WW2 knife.

1_b5b209b8fe790d087ba0c6df6f965e20.jpg

You can have it on your desk and open your mail with it, im sure it's good at that, even if you think it sucks at any other tasks. :)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have one that my grandfather owned and carry for many years, still works fine.

They come in a variety of sizes as well, different woods and steel ... and can get really sharp.

Some knife makers make custom versions of the Opinel if you want something more fancy.

The knife has a pretty long history too.There's an Opinel museum in France right next to the factory where the knife is made.

I like their light weight....

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I like Opies too, they are nice blades and make good EDC blades, easy to use, easy to lock if needed. I do wish I could find one of the Wharnies like are pictured in the smaller picture but I have not seen those here in the USA, ever.

Maybe someone like Gabriel can take one I have now and make the blade like that for me….

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think some of them even float depending on the wood used for the handle but I could be wrong.

I've heard the same..I even had it in my original post but took it out because I couldn't confirm.....

I believe they make a non locking model for nations that don't allow their citizens to have locking pocket knives...I always considered it the "Barlow" of Europe...

images

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well,my #6 Opinel with a beechwood handle floats. I was out in a boat once and dropped it over the side by accident. Thought it was gone to the bottom then it popped up a bit away from the boat so I rowed over and grabbed it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Nice! I may have to keep an eye out for them. They look better than Glocks. ;)

Top Bottom