• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't think the guy was racist, per se, but rather had difficulty believing the vet, because he was Black. Lot's of people have pre-conceived notions that don't make them raging racists. But your post has plenty of truths in it. The biggest threat to Trump's presidency, will be the vocal minority of actual racist supporters, and how the majority of his sane supporters handle them. As referenced in other places, they are the silent majority, but silence won't do if they can't kept that, again, vocal minority, in check.
    All around agree. I used racist, but perhaps prejudiced would have been a better choice?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think this all hinges on the guy who tried to call him out.

I cant get the detailed story I read earlier to come up (router acting flaky, need to call an expert to diagnose :):) but the story I read earlier is vet got his food. A stolen valor activist saw his non compliant uniform/hat and asked him what unit he was in and where he was stationed. Vet answered the unit/station and was told "HA! That unit (Black?) isnt stationed/allowed in Europe, you sir are a fraud! Hey manager, I'm an expert, this man is a fraud, dont give him the perk!!!!" The manager thought it sounded legit even though the soldier was able to (supposedly) provide ID to the contrary. Management took the blowhard's word over the vets paperwork and there is the problem.

Reminds me of a few Facebook arguments I've seen...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I cant get the detailed story I read earlier to come up (router acting flaky, need to call an expert to diagnose :):) but the story I read earlier is vet got his food. A stolen valor activist saw his non compliant uniform/hat and asked him what unit he was in and where he was stationed. Vet answered the unit/station and was told "HA! That unit (Black?) isnt stationed/allowed in Europe, you sir are a fraud! Hey manager, I'm an expert, this man is a fraud, dont give him the perk!!!!" The manager thought it sounded legit even though the soldier was able to (supposedly) provide ID to the contrary. Management took the blowhard's word over the vets paperwork and there is the problem.

So many issues here. Alleged Stolen Valor expert: did he miss the memo on the DoD being desegregated in 1948? Does he have some age-related issues and thinks it's still 1947? Is he just an ***hole? Was that actually what was said? Was his lawyer's picture and phone number on the side of a bus or is there more at work here? We don't know. I still maintain the manager's action was wrong, I think Chili's Public Affairs staff would agree.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't think the guy was racist, per se, but rather had difficulty believing the vet, because he was Black. Lot's of people have pre-conceived notions that don't make them raging racists. But your post has plenty of truths in it. The biggest threat to Trump's presidency, will be the vocal minority of actual racist supporters, and how the majority of his sane supporters handle them. As referenced in other places, they are the silent majority, but silence won't do if they can't kept that, again, vocal minority, in check.
    Should the democrats have kept their vocal minorities in check? For the record I agree that the racist supporters should be ignored at least, shouted down at most. But does that go for both parties? Many would say that the LGBT community, which comprises only about 3 % of the population, were a "vocal minority". :dunno: Many in the BLM movement also exhibit racist behavior. Same deal for them?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Should the democrats have kept their vocal minorities in check? For the record I agree that the racist supporters should be ignored at least, shouted down at most. But does that go for both parties? Many would say that the LGBT community, which comprises only about 3 % of the population, were a "vocal minority". :dunno: Many in the BLM movement also exhibit racist behavior. Same deal for them?

Let's say, I said "no, that only goes for the Trump supporters." Does that change, in any way, how people should address the fringe members of their group?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Let's say, I said "no, that only goes for the Trump supporters." Does that change, in any way, how people should address the fringe members of their group?

No, not in my opinion. They both should be held in check by both sides I think. However, one side's vocal minority is reviled, while the other side's seems to be revered.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, not in my opinion. They both should be held in check by both sides I think. However, one side's vocal minority is reviled, while the other side's seems to be revered.

I'm in agreement that both sides should check those in the fringe. As of yet, neither has been inclined to do so. Both revile the other, and revere their own, making excuses, and pointing fingers. INGO should be quite the interesting place the next few years, as I'm sure people will struggle to find creative excuses for the next administration.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm in agreement that both sides should check those in the fringe. As of yet, neither has been inclined to do so. Both revile the other, and revere their own, making excuses, and pointing fingers. INGO should be quite the interesting place the next few years, as I'm sure people will struggle to find creative excuses for the next administration.

Well, I think both sides should revile their own, at least at the point where it is disruptive to society as a whole.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Was race even a factor in this or was it just added in later? Sounds like a stolen valor activist who should just mind his own business.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Was race even a factor in this or was it just added in later? Sounds like a stolen valor activist who should just mind his own business.

How could we possibly know? I guess it depends on what you're inclined to believe. If you doubt vet's story for whatever reason, then you can assume he decided to lie about that part.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    How could we possibly know? I guess it depends on what you're inclined to believe. If you doubt vet's story for whatever reason, then you can assume he decided to lie about that part.

I don't doubt his story at all. I just think people are sometimes quick to see racism where simple *******ism is to blame.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't doubt his story at all. I just think people are sometimes quick to see racism where simple *******ism is to blame.

He didn't call it racism. That should be made clear. However, it's very hard, particularly for black people, to disconnect unjustified grief given to them as individuals, as being related to skin color. I myself am guilty of it, but having endured numerous examples of it, it regularly comes to the forefront of your mind.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    He didn't call it racism. That should be made clear. However, it's very hard, particularly for black people, to disconnect unjustified grief given to them as individuals, as being related to skin color. I myself am guilty of it, but having endured numerous examples of it, it regularly comes to the forefront of your mind.

I can understand that and I deeply regret that that is the case. I think I want this cloud that hangs over us to disappear so badly that I may choose not to see it even when it is there. Hard to admit but probably true.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I would rather give a free meal to a fake veteran than risk taking away a meal from a real veteran.

If it's a case of stolen valor that's on the guy's conscience that he got a free meal out of it.

That's just the honor system, if someone says he's a vet then he is to me, if he's lying he's just fooling himself and not me.

I wouldn't ask to see a military ID either but I guess that's the restaurant's policy to give free meals to vet.

:twocents:

This

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So many issues here. Alleged Stolen Valor expert: did he miss the memo on the DoD being desegregated in 1948? Does he have some age-related issues and thinks it's still 1947? Is he just an ***hole? Was that actually what was said? Was his lawyer's picture and phone number on the side of a bus or is there more at work here? We don't know. I still maintain the manager's action was wrong, I think Chili's Public Affairs staff would agree.

Reminds me of a few Facebook arguments I've seen

Exactly. Manager got bad intel from an apparently valid source and then acted on it. Oops!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Exactly. Manager got bad intel from an apparently valid source and then acted on it. Oops!

Why would the manager, in this situation, even consider the "intel" from a third party? Does Chili's require production of proof of military service in order to honor the "free meal on Veterans' Day" promotion?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    This is what happens when hating, controlling, busy-bodies stick their noses in where they don't belong. They should have just left the issue alone. If the restaurant did not "vet" their client adequately when they gave him the free meal, that is their problem. Second, if the restaurant staff failed then the manager should have left it alone too. What a deek to act as he did.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why would the manager, in this situation, even consider the "intel" from a third party? Does Chili's require production of proof of military service in order to honor the "free meal on Veterans' Day" promotion?

I agree. But the real problem was that the manager doubled down when shown proof. As soon as the vet produced his ID, it should have been end of discussion. Its like Churchmouse telling me something bogus about a furnace, then somebody pulling out the manual that contradicts his advice. Rather than saying "oh, look, you were wrong sir, the printed documentation says otherwise." the manager ignored the proof and went with hearsay.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I agree. But the real problem was that the manager doubled down when shown proof. As soon as the vet produced his ID, it should have been end of discussion. Its like Churchmouse telling me something bogus about a furnace, then somebody pulling out the manual that contradicts his advice. Rather than saying "oh, look, you were wrong sir, the printed documentation says otherwise." the manager ignored the proof and went with hearsay.

Exactly. Though, I doubt this (hopefully ex-)manager is self-aware enough to realize that he is not an SME regarding military/veteran service/status, given that he even entertained the third party's comments. So, even being shown proof, he had no clue what that proof meant - and didn't realize that he was not in a position to be making that particular judgment call.

Hopefully, Chili's has fired him, and has made amends with the offended veteran.

Top Bottom