• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, basically all you need to know is that they will both prepare you for a real gunfight. End of story.

USPSA = FUN
    IDPA = WTF?

C'mon folks!

Only one comment so far that is arguementative and nothing at all that is childish and futile.

My foundations are quivering.

Funny, I counted two that are childish and futile?!?! I hate this debate. Both disciplines are more alike than they are different.

I encourage you to try at least try both. Welcome to shooting sports!

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Funny, I counted two that are childish and futile?!?! I hate this debate. Both disciplines are more alike than they are different.

I agree looks like both are pretty close, that was why I asked but should have thought it thru and realized it might be a big can of worms I was opening.

I'm going to go to both a few times before I pick one and I guess I don't have to pick just one.

Last edited:

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I agree reed looks like both are pretty close, that was why I asked but should have thought it thru and realized it might be a big can of worms I was opening.

I'm going to go to both a few times before I pick one and I guess I don't have to pick just one.

Everything everyone has said so far is pretty spot on. Moral of the story: try both and decide on your own which you like.

I prefer the run and gun nature of USPSA and 3 gun, but I shoot IDPA also. It gives me a chance to practice with the pistol that I carry, which I'd never shoot in an USPSA match. USPSA and 3 Gun are DEFINITELY more gear intensive. Before you dive in a buy a bunch of gear for it, get in contact with the match director and see if you can borrow equipment first. I run USPSA at WVRPC in Lafayette. If you were to come for the first time and need gear, I'd do everything I could to get the extra stuff you need.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

aww. Somebody doesn't like humor. So sad for you.

Ok, just for CB I will be very serious.
    I have shot IDPA and USPSA and ACDPL. Now get ready, here come the opinions!

Idpa can be fun as long as people take it for what it is. If you have soneone in the background yelling "cover!" At you because 3% too much of your body is unconcealed it can be irritating. Also there are a lot of rules. If you like structure and want to compare yourself purely on speed and accuracy this is the sport for you since as RVB mentioned most people will shoot it the same way. It's possible that IDPA might be the better sport to start with if you have little to no experience shooting. But it may ruin the way you play USPSA at first since you will default to following IDPA rules which will slow you down.

USPSA is just good fun. There is more gamesmanship in this sport in that you often have to choose which targets to engage in what order and from what distance. This game is typically played on Sunday.

ACDPL is kind of a cross between the two. The focus is definitely on defensive shooting and techniques. but there aren't a lot of rules about how you have to do things. You do need to join the ACDPL if you want to play with them but they shoot 12 pistol matches a year; rain, snow, whatever. As long as the range is serviceable. They play on Saturdays and also sponsor a mid month long gun match which alternates between shotgun, tactical rifle, and precision rifle.

whatever you choose, I highly recommend you choose one of them if for no other reason than to realize how badly you (we all) need to practice to be competent carrying a gun in real life.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Try both. ... the personalities that show up at matches are somewhat different. You might as well shoot with people you wish to be around.

I honestly can say after, oh 12-13 yrs doing this, 7-8 yrs of idpa and maybe 9 yrs of uspsa, shooting in several states in different regions of the country that I don't share that opinion. People are people regardless if it's idpa or uspsa. The practical shooting sports attract more type As in general. Every club will have different core attendees, and I've seen a few bad apples at one match/club cause people to assume the whole idpa/uspsa barrel is bad. Generalities are generally a bad thing (how ironic).

I hate this debate. Both disciplines are more alike than they are different.

yup.

I haven't seen too many of the differences really highlighted yet, so I'll add a few to what's been mentioned...
    IDPA:
    Lower round count (max 18 per stage).
    Scoring puts an emphasis on accuracy.
    How you shoot the courses is more scripted, less personal judgement in how best to complete the course.
    Guns are generally production-type guns (glocks, 1911s, etc)
    Gun modifications are very limited, excluding even common carry/defensive modifications. There's still an equipment race (eg you'll see some STIs), it's just... different.
    Officiating is generally more subjective
    there's no rehearsing or "airgunning" before shooting a stage
    reloading is done when you are out of ammo, else If the gun isn't empty, the old mag must be retained.
    USPSA:
    higher round count (32- round stages are common, and occasionally go higher).
    Scoring is slightly weighted towards speed, but that somewhat depends on the division you shoot (eg production is weighted slightly towards accuracy)
    how you shoot the courses is generally up to you. Look for the fastest way to engage targets, even if it's not the most tactical/defensive.
    ANY type of gun is legal, but there are divisions for stock-ish glocks or 1911s, too.
    shooters get several minutes before shooting each stage to rehearse and "air gun".
    reloading is done whenever and however you want.

you certainly don't have to pick just one. There's not just IDPA/USPSA, but Steel Challenge, 3-gun, NRA action pistol, ICORE, SASS (that's not even getting into rifle/shotgun sports)... there are way more shooting oportunities than free time.

Many folks eventually get "invested" in one sport over the others for whatever reason... maybe it's the rules/goals, maybe the level of physical activity required, support for their club's activites, etc. I eventually gravitated to only shooting uspsa with occasional SC/3G mixed in; I only have so many free days/yr, and that's where I found I had the most fun for my own reasons.

[idpa] caused IPSC to come up with "production" class so folks could get into it and be competitive with a out of the box ready da, da/sa or safe action and be competitive however in short order the open and limited class was not enough for the gamers and they invaded production with not so real world 2-2 1/2 pound triggers and slide milling away. So the out of the box production gun was no longer competitive.

hardly. I run a G34 w/ aftermarket sights and a home stipple job. A couple yrs ago I shot our state match w/ my G19 (my carry gun, btw) with the only mod being aftermarket sights. I made master w/ a beretta 92G. Milling of slides? only allowed when installing sights.

The current fad is rare/expensive tangfo's, but that's a trend of "look what the top guy shot this year."

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's possible that IDPA might be the better sport to start with if you have little to no experience shooting.

I would agree with that statement. In fact, the old idpa rule book used to say something like "this sport is geared towards the new/average shooter..."

You do need to join the ACDPL

You also need to join idpa after your first match.

USPSA you don't need to join for just club-level matches. You do have to be a member for Level-II+ matches (eg state/section championships).

-rvb

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I honestly can say after, oh 12-13 yrs doing this, 7-8 yrs of idpa and maybe 9 yrs of uspsa, shooting in several states in different regions of the country that I don't share that opinion. People are people regardless if it's idpa or uspsa. The practical shooting sports attract more type As in general. Every club will have different core attendees, and I've seen a few bad apples at one match/club cause people to assume the whole idpa/uspsa barrel is bad. Generalities are generally a bad thing (how ironic).

-rvb

Assuming someone is likely to attempt their first introduction into the shooting sports close to home, personalities do come into play. Match directors run different types of matches. RO's have a lot of similarity, but also have different personalities. Squads have personalities. Perhaps you don't see it because you've become used to it.

It is also true of most competitive arenas from about the first grade marble tournament to the Olympics. People vary and sometimes like people group with like people. And while the dickishness might be limited, it is always there in all sports. A newer shooter is more sensitive to it than an old hand.

You might think Jerry Lewis is the greatest comedian of all time. The French would agree with you. I can't stand him. Some people like broccoli. If a match was based on a Jerry Lewis Broccoli Joke theme, I'd probably avoid it. But, I can certainly imagine the types of folks who would attend!

As I said: Try both disciplines. Find the one that fits your needs.

If you like both, great!

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Assuming someone is likely to attempt their first introduction into the shooting sports close to home, personalities do come into play. Match directors run different types of matches. RO's have a lot of similarity, but also have different personalities. Squads have personalities. Perhaps you don't see it because you've become used to it.

It is also true of most competitive arenas from about the first grade marble tournament to the Olympics. People vary and sometimes like people group with like people. And while the dickishness might be limited, it is always there in all sports. A newer shooter is more sensitive to it than an old hand.

that's all true. my point was I don't think it's a uspsa vs idpa thing....
    don't like the squad you're on, get on a different one next time or try the gun club down the road. What I got from your first post was "you might pick X sport because Y has a bunch of a-holes" and I don't agree with those generalizations. There was one person in all the years I've been doing this I refused to squad with. No big deal.

-rvb

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No, I certainly didn't mean that. It boils down to: Life is too short to muddle through with folks you wouldn't want to go to dinner with.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    hardly. I run a G34 w/ aftermarket sights and a home stipple job. A couple yrs ago I shot our state match w/ my G19 (my carry gun, btw) with the only mod being aftermarket sights. I made master w/ a beretta 92G. Milling of slides? only allowed when installing sights.

The current fad is rare/expensive tangfo's, but that's a trend of "look what the top guy shot this year."

-rvb

The trend at the Nationals and other regionals and it is bound to "trickle down" for state and local IPSC production class is a LOT of folks are running 2 1/2 pound triggers and tweaking it so it is not really a "box stock" duty type gun as production class was originally intended. That is my one issue with IPSC is they should have a true factory production class. Say what you want, there are a few good shooters that might run with some with a mostly stock production guns but to stay competitive they soon have to do their mods of they won't stay on top.

IDPA while a good idea and a little more friendly to stock guns has a few to many Tactical Johnnies trying to be all that from that article they just read in SWAT magazine. One thing I found funny from a lot of the IDPA founders was most of the ones that wrote articles for gun mags to read their work you wouldn't live through the night without a 1911 or 45 acp of some type. IDPA comes out and them 9mm was cool again because almost everyone went back to it again. Change of heart I guess.

Again they are both enjoyable as long as you don't let the silly stuff get to you. Just try a couple of matches each and you will surely like one of them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You guys suck at Google.

and reading the thread! ;)

There are two groups that shoot at FWRR. One is USPSA ... The other is ACPDL (action/combat pistol defensive league, iirc). The ACPDL is a local group that runs matches with their own rules; it is more defensive oriented and more comparable to idpa. The are not affiliated afaik with any national organization such as IDPA.

[even if I only got 2/5 words right in the acronym...]

-rvb

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Or maybe you are just not funny? :dunno:

You are almost figuring out how to troll. I'm impressed.

Hmmm. You get pissy with me because I post a joke which you don't get because 1. You have no sense of humor or 2. You don't know the history of this topic on INGO and how my post relates. Or possibly3. Both.
    Im gonna guess #3.

furthermore, while you encouraged the OP to try both, you didn't answer his question either so...hypocrit much?

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hmmm. You get pissy with me because I post a joke which you don't get because 1. You have no sense of humor or 2. You don't know the history of this topic on INGO and how my post relates. Or possibly3. Both.
    Im gonna guess #3.

furthermore, while you encouraged the OP to try both, you didn't answer his question either so...hypocrit much?

Neither. Jokes in bad taste aren't funny. You are an internet bully, get over yourself.

I didn't feel the need to reiterate others comments. Rather I tried to welcome a newcomer to the shooting sports. You however have done nothing to help the shooting sports on this thread.

Top Bottom