• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If a state like Texas or Montana were to succeed from the Union, would you move there? If they put their foot down against the federal government and demanded sovereignty?

I'd definitely be interested but would probably wait it out a little to see what kind of leadership would be put into place and how it is enforced. Unfortunately, if not handled correctly, it could end up worse than what we have now. I think this will be our only opportunity for a Galt's Gulch.

Yes, assuming the new government was based on the US Constitution, something the federal government no longer is. I'd prefer Texas, though I do not think we will have to choose from just one state when it happens.

I think a break up is inevitable. There are two distinct and diametrically opposed ideologies fighting for control in this country, and the lines can be drawn geographically. It has reached a point where neither can be in control without actively oppressing and enslaving a sizeable percentage of the population. It will not much longer be possible for the situation to continue peacably. I would hope for an "amicable divorce." I will reserve for myself what I think the probability of it actually happening that way is.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If a state like Texas or Montana were to succeed from the Union, would you move there? If they put their foot down against the federal government and demanded sovereignty?

I'd definitely be interested but would probably wait it out a little to see what kind of leadership would be put into place and how it is enforced. Unfortunately, if not handled correctly, it could end up worse than what we have now. I think this will be our only opportunity for a Galt's Gulch.

Texas and Montana act like free state, but really they are no different than most others:

Montana: Has a statewide public smoking ban from what I can tell. Everywhere I went from Billings to Whitefish to W. Yellowstone. Funny how in this aspect, Indiana is more "free" than Montana.

Texas: Gov. there tried to use executive order to force Gardsill on all younger girls in the state. Come to find out, he took lots of money from big pharma. While it got blocked, he obviously isn't _that_ big of champion of individual freedom.

Even with the above, I wouldn't mind moving to a more rural state. The larger the population, the more problems you get. You have so many insiders and power players trying to get more and more taxpayer money, that they push things that government has no business providing. In the end, the state/municipality is bankrupt.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Assuming that the reason for the idea of succession is to get back to following the Constitution I would pick MT. No way I would go to Texas. You think there is a problem with illegal immigration now, imagine what will happen should Texas break away from the US. Not to mention that Mexico may see it as a chance to claim some territory.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This I doubt. Suppose Texas secedes. Do you really think the US military is going to invade Texas and fire on US citizens? No way. We don't have the stomach for Civil War 2.

Not until it involves money or power.

Then that governor and the rest of his cohorts will be in the brig the next day and the state house surrounded by guard troops. Banks and oil fields siezed and military check points at high way intersections in less than a day.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This I doubt. Suppose Texas secedes. Do you really think the US military is going to invade Texas and fire on US citizens? No way. We don't have the stomach for Civil War 2.

Military fire on civilians?

Kent State
    Mississippi State
    Waco

Granted Waco was more non-uniformed government troops (ATF,FBI, etc.) but the tanks and copters sure looked mil-spec.
    How soon we forget.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Think the only way a state can secede without bloodshed is if they are a net drain on the federal coffers.

MoTown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    West Lafayette
    I would be very interested in seeing a PEACEFUL secession.
    Peaceful secession in America?

Is that an oxymoron?

Regardless of whether I can rationalize a possible future secession or not (intriguing, I must admit), I can never see secession occurring in this country without bloodshed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    But, I always wanted to say "don't mess with me...I'm from Texas:draw:"

:D

Things might be bigger in TX, but I can find more places to hide in MT. :D

Peaceful secession in America?

Is that an oxymoron?

Regardless of whether I can rationalize a possible future secession or not (intriguing, I must admit), I can never see secession occurring in this country without bloodshed.

:+1:

I'm sorry, but the Feds aren't just going to say, "OK, good luck! Fairwell! Hola! Aloha!" and watch them leave... :dunno: However, I seriously doubt US troops would intervene. I'd be more watchful of Blue Helmets.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Wyoming might be the best choice.

Though if any of you really think the Federal Government would let that happen, I suggest you haven't been paying attention to the de facto takeover of pretty much anything they want to take over by using the commerce clause.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Did not some of the States in the Union try just this what a hundred and fifty years ago... How did that peaceful secession work out for them...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Military fire on civilians?

Kent State
    Mississippi State
    Waco

Granted Waco was more non-uniformed government troops (ATF,FBI, etc.) but the tanks and copters sure looked mil-spec.
    How soon we forget.

Well, Waco was with military-grade equipment: flamethrowers and tanks and CS gas, which evolves into hydrogen cyanide upon deflagration.

I'm still waiting for the missing left door to show up. Don't think it ever will, though, because it will just confirm what we already know.

Ruby Ridge wasn't military at all, but it was still insane... I'm surprised that it wasn't the flashpoint for revolt of itself. Granted, the Weavers are a bit out there with their brand of evangelicism, but I don't care if they believed in a pink dragon who arose from the sun a million years ago, they did nothing to deserve assault from the FBI or US Marshals.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Could it happen, yep, and I think it will happen at somepoint in my lifetime.

My only question is...why would the states have to implement a new form of government? States are by definition independent soveriegns that all consent to the union. This means they have automous state governments, etc. They also have their own constitutions, which are probaly very similar to the US Constitution.

Granted, it doesn't seem like states are really sovereign these days, and the Feds are certainly excersizing a lot more power than they should be.

bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    if tejas secedes, i am driving down there post haste.

and in this "economic times" texas is the exact state that can survive a secession. they are singular in that ability.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I'd be more watchful of Blue Helmets.
    e017001f.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Well id be volunteering to fly the first plane that drops the first bomb on them. And talking about secession in a open forum isnt all that conducive to a good public image.:twocents:

IBTL

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well id be volunteering to fly the first plane that drops the first bomb on them. And talking about secession in a open forum isnt all that conducive to a good public image.:twocents:

IBTL

Has it occured to you that those against secession are on the wrong side of the issue? Is not the United States of America made up of voluntary states? Do they no longer have the right to become their own sovereign nation if they so choose? If you say no, then I guess you believe divorce should be illegal and anyone who tries to get one should have a bomb dropped on them.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    If any of this were to happen.. would we still be Americans?

If not.. I'll pass.. I like being an American.. no matter what state I live in.

If so.. I'm game.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom