• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would your interest level/reasonable membership fees be?

• Total voters

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    It seems that in my neck of the woods, there is a shortage of proper shooting ranges. The opportunity may soon present itself for me to buy some land that is eminently suitable for a high quality shooting range.

Specifically:

Multiple pistol and rifle bays.
    200+ (300?) yard rifle range.
    Suitable for Silhouette, IDPA, USPSA, benchrest, and 3-gun.
    Rifle steel gongs on the rifle range.
    Target stands, both static and movable, for easy stapling of paper targets.
    Falling plate pistol racks.
    Keycard swipe/gated range to keep range exclusive to members.
    Family memberships. (a slightly higher fee, but all immediate family are included.)
    Guests are welcome, but recurring guests will need to eventually buy their own membership if they continue to visit.
    There is a nearby range that offers shotgun exclusively (trap/skeet), I am debating arranging a partnership where members of that range get reduced rates.
    Dawn til dusk hours, no range officer, self policing, no trash shooting.
    Bulk targets available at cost.
    Safety will be paramount. All members must exhibit safe firearms handling. Transgressions will result in revoked membership if corrective action is not taken after one reported safety violation.

So my question to members who are native to Southeastern Indiana. What would such a range membership be worth you?

The range would be located a few miles outside Greensburg, IN. I was formerly a member at the Green Valley range in Columbia, MO. Home of the Chapman Academy and the Bianchi Cup. And I have shot at some excellent ranges in many states including good ol' Indiana. I feel that a proper range has a LOT to offer over your typical 100 yard static range with some concrete benches. I would like to bring USPSA and 3-gun to this part of the state, and make room for other disciplines as well.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    All of that sounds great to me except the "recurring guests will have to eventually buy their own membership".

Most people like to shoot with a friend or family member. Forcing their shooting partner to buy a membership might be a bad idea. I am the only one of my friends to own a firearm other than a pistol or shotgun, at which can be shot in front of a field, which is common in Indiana. My friends would never buy a membership to a range to shoot what they can at home and I'd never buy a membership to a range where I have to go alone.

300 yards would be spectacular and with all of the things you've mentioned, I don't feel a $300 sign up fee with $60 a year membership (like the Farmland Conservation Club) would be too much to ask at all. You can take the sign up fee money and put it towards more for the range.

I'm not great with distances on other cities, but if Greensburg is close to Scottsburg I know my uncle would definitely buy one.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    As I've never been a member of a range, I'm not certain about dues or what not. I'd like to see another close to Greensburg. The FOP in Shelbyville is fairly cheap, but I'm not sure if they offer as much as you're considering.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to find out more.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Im a member at SIRPC right now and they have a range out to 500 yards and it was 100 for initiation fee and 50 a year for individual and I forgot how much for family but they to have a rule about guests that is the same rule proposed here by the OP. The only thing I dont like about it there is that 1. you have to cross a creek to get to the range,2 its like pulling teeth from an alligator to get a date to teach a class there even with advanced notice.
    What youre talking about sounds great! I would be interested! If/when you decide to do it let me know and we can help advertise or something for you in our gun shop too. I know alot of people who are not happy with their current range so build it and they will come.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I'm for pay per day, because shooting on the farm is membership free. It would however be nice to have a place to go with others for a more range type experience on a day-by-day basis.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    All of that sounds great to me except the "recurring guests will have to eventually buy their own membership".

Most people like to shoot with a friend or family member. Forcing their shooting partner to buy a membership might be a bad idea. I am the only one of my friends to own a firearm other than a pistol or shotgun, at which can be shot in front of a field, which is common in Indiana. My friends would never buy a membership to a range to shoot what they can at home and I'd never buy a membership to a range where I have to go alone.

I understand what you are saying. But with what you are proposing I would soon have a range with 20% members and 80% friends of members. If your father/brother/cousin from out of town comes out with you when he visits 3 or 4 times a year, that is a guest. If your neighbors and hunting buddies come every time, they should be paying members. If 4 people go golfing, they all pay green fees.

Of course if you are bringing a new shooter out to bring them into the sport, they are a guest.

If they like shooting and intend to utilize the facilities, they should become a member.

USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun, et-al... those matches are open to both members and non-members. Members shoot for a reduced match fee.

Last edited:

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I'm for pay per day, because shooting on the farm is membership free. It would however be nice to have a place to go with others for a more range type experience on a day-by-day basis.

The more I think about it, a pay-per-day range would require full time staffing, or a very optimistic honor system.

I think a keycard and a gate, with yearly fees low enough to make them palatable, would be more doable.

I know what you are saying about shooting on the farm. But I would like to have enough steel arrays, bays, targets stands and benches, to make this place worth the expense and the drive from the farm.

A family membership will not be significantly more than an individual membership.

Please understand this is all in the planning stages, and this thread is part of the feasibility study.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I would be ALL over something in this area.

Trade you some steel for a membership.....

Duly noted. :ar15: :D

Do you have any experience building texas stars? I am in need of one. :rockwoot:

Edit: Perused the website. Great looking products!

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The more I think about it, a pay-per-day range would require full time staffing, or a very optimistic honor system.

I think a keycard and a gate, with yearly fees low enough to make them palatable, would be more doable.

I know what you are saying about shooting on the farm. But I would like to have enough steel arrays, bays, targets stands and benches, to make this place worth the expense and the drive from the farm.

A family membership will not be significantly more than an individual membership.

Please understand this is all in the planning stages, and this thread is part of the feasibility study.

You should make it profitable enough that you can greet everyone and be assured that they are acting the way you would like on your property.:twocents:

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    You should make it profitable enough that you can greet everyone and be assured that they are acting the way you would like on your property.:twocents:

There will definitely be a new member process. And ideally I would be able to be there full time. I'm not sure how realistic that is. I can't take a huge loss on running this but it would in large part be a labor of love. I don't expect to get rich running a range. I would love to have a self sustaining facility where people can shoot competition, take classes, teach their kids to shoot, and generally have a safe and fun experience.

Lots of ranges successfully operate with some level of trust involved with the membership.

Just the simple fact of having a membership fee of $1 would keep out a lot of the folks who shoot trash and leave trash behind, and who tear things up.

The fish and wildlife operated range (free) where I used to live in MO had a restroom until some scumbag shot holes in it.

The private range had a shoothouse, outbuildings, mowers, tractors, steel, et al... and was immaculate because MOST shooters are good people and if they have a small amount of fat in the fire, they want to keep their shooting spot tip-top.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Sounds very nice, but over an hour and a half away for me... not very convenient. I'm trying to come up with the capital to open a indoor range and gun store in the Bloomington area...

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West

I understand completely and applaud you for what you are trying to create. A smaller membership fee would be more appealing to me, but I'm just one person and you shouldn't run yourself into the ground for the sake of others. Good luck.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I was formerly a member at the Green Valley range in Columbia, MO. Home of the Chapman Academy and the Bianchi Cup.
    Wow!--a fellow Show Me person. I attended Ray Chapman's Academy way back when and was invited to the inaugural Bianchi Cup (really dating myself!) Didn't have a gun or holster that was worth a hoot back then, but still managed to finish in the top half.

Wish you all the best with the range, but it may be a bit too far from me in Fort Wayne (Dang!)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    You would have at least a few dozen memberships from our shops clienetele.

The big complaint, no rifle ranges near Shelbyville.

Top Bottom