• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'd be interested in a couple years. Looking to eventually do some more long range stuff, but I don't know of any spots around here that have more than 100 yd distances. Definitely be interested in this.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I now live in MI, so I won't make it to your range...
    But what i look for is:
    Steel targets allowed
    Drawing from holster allowed
    Generally clean facilities
    Accessible in cars/vans (not just truck/suv)

in addition to the other items mentioned

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Forgot to mention that YES, going out to 300 yds would be a big bonus as a lot of guys like myself typically only get to do 100 yds (maybe 200 on occasion, but not at our local club)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I currently have memberships at clubs 45 minutes both East and West of you. I drive right past you all the time going both ways. Allow drawing from a holster, and I will be there.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Depends on what your policy would be on full auto and what sort of amenities you might offer (resetting steel plates, etc).

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If you do build it, be sure to set aside a good chunk of dough to advertise the living crap out of it! The indoor range we built here in Clarksville took off very slow, even with a huge amount of interest locally. We didn’t start getting the numbers we wanted/needed until we sunk money into radio ads and as many other forms of getting the word out as we could. That being said, don’t panic if all you hear on your range is crickets for the first week or two, if you build it, they will come.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I’d be in. I drive 45 minuets to atterbury or deer creek so I’d have no problem driving a little bit more for what you’d offer.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I would consider it but sadly I am on the wrong side of Indy. I live east of town and would love something like that over here. If I had the money I would love to do something similar out this way. A nice shooting complex with indoor, outdoor, and other amenities would be great. Guntry club is needed. 300 yard range, 100 yard range, 50 yard range, and 25 yard range outdoors. Then 25 yard and 50 yard indoor range. Skeet , trap ranges, and a sporting clays course all in one place would be wonderful. Come in the morning and spend all day. Sell ammo and have a place for buying food and drinks. If this was within an hour of me I would gladly pay a membership fee and then pay additional for targets. Say $250 a year and then cost of targets plus 10%.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Putnam County will not allow the zoning. Ask Bob Cheek.

I had a range in Putnam County and the zoning nazi's dropped the hammer. There is anti-gun range crowd in Putnam County that will show up a zoning meetings and raise holy hell. I moved out of the county for that reason. No commercial adventure will fly there. If the climate changes Bob Cheek already has the range built and ready to go.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Yes there will be drawing allowed from a holster in the advanced classes but not in the beginner classes. (Class instructors will have say on whatÂ’s allowed in thier advanced classes). As a member you can practice in of the pistol bays on any of the disciplines. (Yes drawing. How are you suppose to become efficient on something if you donÂ’t practice.) Yes as in anything worth doing there are always hurtles (zoning boards) but if you educate them and keep them informed on whatÂ’s going then things always seem to work out.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Putnam County will not allow the zoning. Ask Bob Cheek.

I had a range in Putnam County and the zoning nazi's dropped the hammer. There is anti-gun range crowd in Putnam County that will show up a zoning meetings and raise holy hell. I moved out of the county for that reason. No commercial adventure will fly there. If the climate changes Bob Cheek already has the range built and ready to go.

Would be prudent to talk with Cheek at PSS. He already paid big money to build the range you want to duplicate. I'm sure he tried every possible way to change minds, and certainly had a clientele that would've paid to shoot. I'd want to proceed with eyes wide open.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Go somewhere else. This is STRONG advice:

Would be prudent to talk with Cheek at PSS. He already paid big money to build the range you want to duplicate. I'm sure he tried every possible way to change minds, and certainly had a clientele that would've paid to shoot. I'd want to proceed with eyes wide open.
    And...
    Yes as in anything worth doing there are always hurtles (zoning boards) but if you educate them and keep them informed on whatÂ’s going then things always seem to work out.
    ...do not kid yourself: Bob did not encounter "hurdles", he was hit in the face with jersey barriers, and no, it does NOT 'always work out'.If Bob could have gotten it done, it would have BEEN done.

I assure you, the local Board of Zoning Appeals is rather well-versed in rifle ranges and use.

I further council you that it is NOT always the zoning "nazis"--as Coach so eloquently put--that are of any opinion about a given land use exception. On any such Board, if they have integrity and know the LAW, they enforce it to protect the general public's property rights and to support their jurisdiction's planning goals. Neither LAW nor PLANS are set out by the BZA.

I LIKE Bob, but he and his wife went about the thing ass-backwards. They bought, improved, and started shooting...THEN asked permission. That permission never came, and is unlikely to ever do so at this point.

Putnam County does not need nor want anymore ranges, and that is made clear by examples such as the Cheek's. The zoning is prohibitive on it's own, and getting a rifle range established ANYWHERE is quite challenging. Pair that with the fact that DNR just did their own thing, and you have a recipe for wasted blood/sweat/tears/money.

Montgomery does not have zoning, and though there are several 'ranges', none of them have any range. It's also straight up the 74 Corridor. It is also flatter, which is good for rifle ranges, but BAD for land prices, and for natural berms. But if you locate carefully, you can probably get decent topography and price. Those farmers like flat black dirt a lot more than the marginal junk that would catch lead so well.

IF you won't listen to reason and move your idea to a county without zoning, then make damn sure the NRA is onboard, planned it, has the required surveys and ENV's done, and you have sought all the advice and blessing of every local politician under the sun. THEN go through the PROPER channels int he CORRECT order, and hope for the best. But do not invest a ****pile of money in range development until you are legally buttoned up.

And call Bob.

-Nate

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Feel free to PM me for any other insight I might have.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom