• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Nate, thank you for your insight and advice on this outdoor range plan. Let me say that I am NOT putting the cart before the horse on this business plan. I have been in contact with the NRA for advice on different layouts for the pistol bays and the 300 yd range. Of course, Nate, I am not going to sink money into land or materials until I know that I have the right people on board with this outside range project. I wasn't aware of Bob's circumstances but I do believe in keeping the right people in the loop from the get go (Like the zoning board) and if they chose to vote down the project after I present them with all the facts and who is in support (like neighbors, local business's, ect) then I will have to look elsewhere. I do believe in transparency. Thank you

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    I'd love to be able to have access to a 300-yard range, but I think it might be a tad far away for me to sign onto for an annual membership. I'd be all over a day-pass option, so I could get out perhaps every few months.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not intended to sideline this thread, but this is why it's important to support local gun clubs that are established & have some protection by being grandfathered due to Indiana legislature. Lost Creek Conservation Club spent 20k defending from frivolous lawsuit, Riley Conservation Club purchased additional 40 acres ($120,000) to protect what they already owned. Environment requirements often prevents new shooting ranges from opening. Support your local gun range.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am looking for input from INGO followers on an outside range. I am looking to purchase some acreage in Putnam county or somewhere there about and if I find the right property I am looking to build a new outside range with pistol bays (6 to 8 bays) wide enough to accommodate specialty training with vehicles and approximately 300 yard rifle range as well. So my question is 1) if I build it would you come and shoot. 2) would you be willing to drive up to an hour to shoot at this range.
    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you

I like the idea, but unless you have serious political connections in Putnam Co, the zoning board isn't going to allow anything like that for any kind of commercial use.

You should look in a county that doesn't have zoning yet, like Montgomery.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Didn't Bob from PSS try this several years ago in Putnam county? Not sure of the location or what issues caused them to drop it.

Zoning. It's not going to happen in Putnam County unless you are connected or buy some connections.

Edit to add: some others covered this before I read far enough into the topic!

A new commercial range in Putnam County isn't going to happen without some kind of miracle.

Someone else mentioned Montgomery Co. It's your best bet for possible because we don't yet have zoning. Your primary obstacles will be finding a suitable piece of land for sale and then paying for it.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    To the OP, we're all on your side and want you to be successful if you pursue this. After 45 years of mostly management positions, I learned to value the advice of those playing devil's advocate and encourage you to do the same.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Would be prudent to talk with Cheek at PSS. He already paid big money to build the range you want to duplicate. I'm sure he tried every possible way to change minds, and certainly had a clientele that would've paid to shoot. I'd want to proceed with eyes wide open.
    Not a betting man but if I was in Vegas I would put my dollar at the "Not happening" window.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    With DNR here already, zoning probably would use that against you, even though DNR is short.
    The range in Brazil is large, but less $$ per year. But they are kind of finicky and not up for bringing guests at all.
    DNR type rules like no holstered
    pistols stop me. You can't really train that way--
    or cowboy shoot.

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    I live in Putnam County and would love to be able to shoot 300 yards. I can currently shoot 175 or so but only when the crops are short or gone and only when it's not deer season or close to it. That pretty much leaves only April/May. $150 sounds reasonable.
    Would it be open access for members? How many lanes on rifle?

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Were you planning on turning flat farm ground into a range or are you looking for a place that requires minimal earth moving? I'm wondering if western Boone/ eastern Montgomery county near exit 52 on I 74 might not attract people from Crawfordsville, Lebanon, and Lafayette as well as Indy.

[I just now saw this thread has 5 pages of replies, I only read the first one]

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Good luck, I know Bob was looking forward to getting his range approved in that county, maybe you know people he doesn't. Sounds like a bunch of anti gun people on the board over there.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No, there are other ranges that are closer, better, insured.

The main question I have is, will it be manned at all hours? I'm assuming its going to be open to "Members" sun up to sun down.

What is your budget for material? If you are asking folks to help with moving earth, I'm not to hopeful that you have the right business plan.

Sounds like the area you have picked, it isn't dense population so it may end up being a money sink and fold.

My former club I was a member of, the guy who owned it, owned all the surrounding land. He sank tons of money in it because it was his hobby. I'm not talking 5 or 6 figures, talking 7.

But because of he and his staff, I'm now into long range shooting.

Top Bottom