• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    ...it will be a miracle.

Folks, get ready for a ban. The chances we will see a new AWB are very high, IMHO. At a minimum we'll see a magazine capacity ban next year. The gears are already churning and given the horrific nature of the Sandy Hook shooting the passage of some new gun control measure is almost certain.

I don't go around beating the "get it now before it's gone" drums. I didn't after Obama was elected the first time and I didn't do it when he got reelected. But what I'm seeing out there strongly suggests we're going to see a ban. I'm reading comments from gun owners on places like Facebook saying they feel guilty for being so pro-gun given the events of Sandy Hook. It's that guilt by some of our own that will give the anti-gun forces the slight edge they need to get something through. If you fight against any new laws you will be painted as an insensitive Neanderthal... and many gun owners aren't all that die hard about their rights to begin with, they are what I consider casual gun owners. They will sign on with "reasonable" gun laws just because it makes them feel better about recent events.

I don't mean to detract from the tragedy at Sandy Hook by saying this, but we need to address this now if we want to have any hope of preserving our rights. The anti's raced to the cameras before the bodies were cold to start beating their political drums. They're always quick to capitalize on a tragedy and this one has been no different.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ...it will be a miracle.

Folks, get ready for a ban. The chances we will see a new AWB are very high, IMHO. At a minimum we'll see a magazine capacity ban next year. The gears are already churning and given the horrific nature of the Sandy Hook shooting the passage of some new gun control measure is almost certain.

I don't go around beating the "get it now before it's gone" drums. I didn't after Obama was elected the first time and I didn't do it when he got reelected. But what I'm seeing out there strongly suggests we're going to see a ban. I'm reading comments from gun owners on places like Facebook saying they feel guilty for being so pro-gun given the events of Sandy Hook. It's that guilt by some of our own that will give the anti-gun forces the slight edge they need to get something through. If you fight against any new laws you will be painted as an insensitive Neanderthal... and many gun owners aren't all that die hard about their rights to begin with, they are what I consider casual gun owners. They will sign on with "reasonable" gun laws just because it makes them feel better about recent events.

I don't mean to detract from the tragedy at Sandy Hook by saying this, but we need to address this now if we want to have any hope of preserving our rights. The anti's raced to the cameras before the bodies were cold to start beating their political drums. They're always quick to capitalize on a tragedy and this one has been no different.

:+1: You are right that the other team isn't (as one of their golden boys put it) going to let a good crisis go to waste. You are also right about wobbly gun owners and supposedly pro-gun politicians--after all, it's for the children! (I love the way that 'justifies' most anything, no matter how useless or stupid.) What did surprise me is that yesterday, I found myself scolding someone on INGO for coming to the conclusion that we need more restrictions on most everything other than Fudd guns. If we don't have a solid base here, I agree completely that it is going to be a long winter!

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    While military rifle sales have been brisk for many years, and I believe more people own them now than did back in 1994 when the AWB passed, I still think the "fudds" comprise the vast majority of gun owners out there.

The fact children were slaughtered at Sandy Hook is what will push casual gun owners to support what they deem to be "reasonable restrictions"... because it will make them feel better about being gun owners themselves. A ban on mags that hold more than 10 rounds or a ban on rifles with pistol grips does nothing to curb crime or spree killers as the 1994 law proved before its expiration. But its all about doing what feels good... and when you're having a knee jerk reaction to children being slain, a AWB feels pretty good to a lot of people including "fudds" or casual gun owners.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We need to get our :poop: together with solid professional non-confronting talking points. To start with, respectfully scolding the opposition for playing politics on the backs of dead children. We need to do it with a level, matter of fact, tone. If we let them drag us in the mud now, that is where we will stay.

All of our people will come to their senses with a little time. Jeez, look how many folks right here on INGO show pretty extreme emotional changes due to the tragedy.

At the same time, now is the time to gracefully push the narrative that the 2nd Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting. It never has.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Meh....
    With the fiscal cliff upon on and everyone's taxes going up by 7% the people are going to be more pissed about that they an awb. Yes we have a storm right now but the so call fiscal cliff is just a few weeks away and that is gonna be bigger news than this.

---purple---
    Come on end of the world :faint:
    --end purple---

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Whatever happens I just hope it's months from now. Give everyone a chance to cool off, maybe then they'll focus on the real issues at hand than try and take the easy way out. A ban will not stop or slow these shooters in any way, and that's what frightens me. If the ban passes and inevitably another shooting occurs, they will only fire back with more control, another shooter, more control, another shooter, control, etc. etc. etc. I know it's been said to death the last few days but the problem isn't the guns or the features they have, it's a mental health issue but that's the complicated path to take. It's going to be far easier to put smiles on sheep faces to ban pistol grips and shoulder things that go up.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We're going to see articles such as this pouring out over the next few months.

There Are Some Technologies We Should Not Have, and Guns Are One of Them

...coming from sources that have no business chiming in on the issue of gun control. I mean seriously, a technology rag that focuses on electronics posts this stuff? Oh yeah, it's going to get ugly folks.

This is indeed an unfortunate article. Some of the article's comments are worse. The writer, Joe Brown, like many other anti-Second Amendment activists, isn't even informed enough to know why it was placed in the Bill of Rights (to protect us against domestic tyranny vs a foreign invader).

Pertaining to your OP: How do you expect the impending AWB to behave? Do you believe it will ban all pre-existing high-capacity magazines, or will it just ban the sale of new ones to civilians?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am afraid the bans are coming after this one. I Just ordered a bunch of pmags myself.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I am starting to believe that the anti gun movement is dying in this country. The statistics are moving more and more in our favor every year, and gun ownership is increasing rapidly. The AR-15 has become the most popular rifle platform in America. Honestly I find it hard to believe that any strong push at a federal level would be political suicide. Look at what's happening state by state. Things seem to be trending towards loosening up.

I'm not suggesting we let our guard down, but I do think perhaps our fears are exaggerated.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    History would show a grandfathering in and only ban new ones. However it could bring registration like the NFA anmisty period for machine guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Media has been jumping all over the fact that the weapons used were semi-automatics rather than stating "Assault Weapons" like they have in past events. So, do you think they will go after "Assault Weapons" alone, or Semi-Automatics in general?

I agree that something is brewing for our country on some sort of ban, what type of ban do you guys think is on the horizon? (limited mag capacity, AWB overall, etc.)? This isn't good either way.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I doubt we will see a ban.

I have a feeling it will be attempted, and many will cry for stricter gun control - but they will not be successful.

Too many people have their eyes open and realize that the type of guns used is not the big factor in the tragedies that have unfolded recently.

What we will see for sure, ban or not - is yet another rush to purchase AR15s, AK47s, magazines, and ammunition out of fear. Everyone in the firearm community will freak out, and prices will reflect the frenzy.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've seen a bunch of people that don't own guns, haven't ever shot, and don't see the point in owning guns talking about how it is time to stop blaming tools for what someone does. The people talking about gun control because of this are doing it on an emotional level. I've seen anti-2A people mentioning the kids in China that got stabbed and how if guns were banned, people would just use something else. Quite a few also seem to be understanding that criminals will always have access to guns even if they're banned. Many saying there needs to be more done in the home if someone is suspected of being a bit unbalanced. I've also seen gun accessory vendors trying to profit off of the shooting with t-shirts and other items. I find that more disgusting than people that have a different opinion.

As far as anti articles, we've had plenty of people on here saying they'd support "common sense" gun control simply because they don't own that type of firearm.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sepe, which vendor has t-shirts for sale?
    PM me if you don't want to put their name here, but I would like to know if they're as distasteful as it sounds.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The shirts said something about God not protecting the kids because he doesn't go where he isn't allowed. I'm not sure where the shirts originated but I've seen several vendors on Facebook sharing the pictures for the shirts. I'd go back and find them but I decided when I saw it that it was a good time to stop following their posts.

Here is what the shirt looks like. While it isn't specifically about this incident, the timing sure doesn't look good.

violenceinschoolsgod.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The shirts said something about God not protecting the kids because he doesn't go where he isn't allowed. I'm not sure where the shirts originated but I've seen several vendors on Facebook sharing the pictures for the shirts. I'd go back and find them but I decided when I saw it that it was a good time to stop following their posts.

Here is what the shirt looks like. While it isn't specifically about this incident, the timing sure doesn't look good.

violenceinschoolsgod.jpg

The line between this and the Westboro Baptist Church folk's rhetoric seems thin....

Simply pathetic.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    God is allowed in schools, he is allowed anywhere you are. God is in your heart and your mind if you are Christian, he cannot be taken away anywhere.

It always baffles my mind when people say they take away prayer in school, no they dont. You can pray to yourself anytime you want, you just arent allowed to make others pray too. Prayer/God/whatever shouldnt be forced upon anyone, but you are always allowed to pray and have your faith. That has never changed.

Back to the topic at hand, I am not sure about any bans yet. I dont think a total gun ban is really feasible, there are too many guns in too many hands right now. An awb may happen, if it stopped crimes like this one I think most gun owners would be for it, but it wont stop anything, history has proven that out.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Diane Feinstein was on Meet The Press and said she is going to introduce a AWB in the next Senate session. So get ready, the attempt is coming.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I think the ban is certainly coming. The question is, how will it affect you? I am not advocating a law against hi-cap mags but in all honesty, the law never affected me earlier last decade when I got into shooting/carry during the AWB and won't affect me now.

I simply never feel under-gunned with a 1911 at my side and two spare 8 round mags on my other hip. 99% of the time I have a S&W 3913 with a spare mag or two and would never think this isn't enough to defend myself or family when I'm out and about. 8 rounds of Speer GD or Federal HST in the mag with one in the pipe and another 8 to 16 on my belt is certain to do the trick if god forbid I ever have to defend myself.

If anything, a new AWB will force people to practice high stress shot placement, marksmanship and quick mag changes, which to me, is half the fun of owning a gun...the other half is rolling my own!

Again, this is just my own personal experience and I am in no way advocating any new laws. Just offering an anecdote or two to add to the thread.

I do own 15 and 18 round mags for my service sized pistols but always felt that 30 to 45 rounds on me was a bit superfluous for self defense. Now in a situation of total social breakdown would I like that comfort...sure, but I am fairly certain that is statistically very unlikely to happen. We've been through a major depression and even Civil War and the societal glue held together. Besides, if I find myself in the midst of a zombie apocalypses I have no doubt that my 1911 and 6 to 8 spare mags all along my belt and a shotgun slung over my shoulder will handle my defense needs just fine.

To each his own but for me, I think a hi-cap ban, which is the MOST they could ever pass right now, would be no big deal....again, for me personally. YMMV

Top Bottom