• ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Wreaver said:
    I'm not sure why I did considering Feinstein says ownership would be illegal and there is no grandfather clause in the bill.

TRENDING: Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Feinstein said:
    "It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation, and the possession. Not retroactively, but prospectively. It will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets," she said. "There will be a bill."

As much as I'm sure "trigger finger" Feinstein would love to make her new law retroactive, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution addresses that pretty definitively.

Remember: this is the person who says YOU shouldn't own an "assault weapon"
    281290_10102006166538108_1348664278_n.jpg

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I am not sure how you can say that a Valedictorian speaking about any topic during a speech is not pushing their opinion on others. That is exactly what it is. The nature of the topic is irrelevant.

Your valedictorian example is more akin to Bob Costas and his speil on gun control the other weekend. Both are talking to captive audiences about topics that don't pertain to the event.

My question to you is, would you feel the same if the Valedictorian was praying to Allah?

What about if he was talking about how Obama was great and has been a mentor of his?

What about if he was talking about the recent events and that he thinks guns should be banned?

What if they were talking about how religion was a bunch of bunk?

Would you be so supportive of their 1A rights in that case? Something tells me probably not.

Personally I would have zero issue with a Valedictorian praying, not even a little. I am merely pointing out the hypocritical nature of many of these type of debates. Many think that whatever it is they are passionate abotu should be allowed, but look the other way when its something they dont care about.

Now onto your OC example, I am not for the government banning open carry. I never would OC, but doesnt mean I want it banned. But I do support the rights of business owners or anyone on their private property saying they do not want guns or people OCing. Ya know property rights and all.

Pushing your opinion on others and forcing them to do something and/or violating their rights are two different things.

I don't think anyone's 1A rights are being violated if a Valedictorian prays. Nor would I think my rights are being violated in any of the above examples you cited.

God has certainly been kicked out of schools when students are not allowed to pray publicly.

It's one thing to be offended, it's another thing to have your rights violated. Preventing a Valedictorian from saying a prayer is a violation of her 1A rights, not a protection of the audience's 1A rights.

brentlh

Marksman
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    May 11, 2012
    Muncie
    If it did happen, how would it affect current owners? Whether it be the gun itself or 30 round mags? Would they just ban future sales or what? I am curious if anyone knows or could speculate. :dunno:

dking1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    I am truly sorry for what happened at Sandy Hook. It’s a tragedy that impacted many people and their lives will forever change. I recently lost my wife while on vacation. She died while riding a rollercoaster with my 12 year son. Our lives changed forever. I know that people want to blame the guns that were used to take their family members away. But in my mind it was a 20 year man the killed all those people. Yes the guns were used but he could have done the same thing many other ways. I’ve always believed in this statement. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. I think gun bans are wrong way should everyone have to suffer for way a few people do.

hd1971

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    I am truly sorry for what happened at Sandy Hook. It’s a tragedy that impacted many people and their lives will forever change. I recently lost my wife while on vacation. She died while riding a rollercoaster with my 12 year son. Our lives changed forever. I know that people want to blame the guns that were used to take their family members away. But in my mind it was a 20 year man the killed all those people. Yes the guns were used but he could have done the same thing many other ways. I’ve always believed in this statement. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. I think gun bans are wrong way should everyone have to suffer for way a few people do.

I'm so sorry for your lose . I cant imagine how you must feel . I have a fiance and two children . I can't imagine them not being here.

May I copy your post?

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I think 20 murdered children, 6 and 7 years old, gives the gun control an awful lot of fuel. I don't usually get into the panic buying but I agree with OP and ordered several magazines for each firearm I own. I'm not sure why I did considering Feinstein says ownership would be illegal and there is no grandfather clause in the bill.

She said the language of the bill would ban hi-cap magazines (clips in her head) prospectively, not retroactively. So magazines bought before the ban will be legal if her bill survives....or in another way, there will be a grandfather clause. Of course this is verbal information, the actual bill may say something different. But I think the idea of making tens of millions of citizens instant criminals for owning magazines with a more than 10 round capacity is something most middle of the road voters in the house and senate would never allow.

Here's the exact quote from Meet the Press:

Feinstein will introduce assault weapons ban in Senate

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I think 20 murdered children, 6 and 7 years old, gives the gun control an awful lot of fuel. I don't usually get into the panic buying but I agree with OP and ordered several magazines for each firearm I own. I'm not sure why I did considering Feinstein says ownership would be illegal and there is no grandfather clause in the bill.
    I heard her speak this weekend and she did say that a new law wouldn't ban existing weapons (no confiscation) but would ban all future sales.

Her saying that only reinforces the fact such a law has nothing to do with community safety or the safety of children, it's purely about moving their political agenda forward. If she were truly concerned that semi-auto rifles were the cause of such shootings and she was concerned about public safety, she would move to ban everything she could. A new AWB would be no more effective in stopping shootings in schools than the 1994 AWB was in stopping the 1999 Columbine shooting.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    If it did happen, how would it affect current owners? Whether it be the gun itself or 30 round mags? Would they just ban future sales or what? I am curious if anyone knows or could speculate. :dunno:
    No one knows. It depends on the wording of the proposed laws.

The 1994 AWB only banned the manufacture and importation of new rifles and grandfathered existing firearms and magazines.

They could write a law that forced us to turn them in if they thought they had the votes.

They could write a law that forced us to register existing weapons and bans the sale of new ones.

They could write a law that mandates certain features must be removed in X number of days to be compliant with new restrictions (like do away with pistol grips or flash hiders).

Most likely they will try to pass a law that grandfathers existing firearms and magazines. It would likely prohibit you from selling them or transferring them to others. Once you die they must be turned into be destroyed and can't pass to even family members. The original 1994 law allowed us to continue to sell and trade in banned firearms, something that the anti's hated.

It's anyone's guess.

The President could also do all sorts of things with an executive order. He could stop the importation of all firearms and ammo with the stroke of a pen. He can have the ATF reclassify firearms by reinterpreting what "sporting purpose" means.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Here's some new data that speak to the point of the OP, just released today:

http://www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1145a1GunControl.pdf

59% are ok with limiting magazine capacities...I think this might give political cover to moderate republicans and blue dog democrats to vote on a restriction. However if you look at the opinion trends (support and oppose) over the last 20 years for gun control laws in general, it looks like any new restrictions will not be easy to get through the House. The favor/oppose levels are much tighter now than they were in '93.

Lots of other interesting data points in that PDF.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't mean to be cold or non-caring, but if we can get by the sad music, crying people and funerals dominating every newscast, we can think more clearly.

I am really, really beginning to resent those (including INGOers) who want to keep using the "because I have young children," excuse for why they are wavering on this issue. The majority of us have or have had young kids and are not wavering.

My god, INGOers are making threads and polls determining how much we should compromise. WHAT??? This was a terrible thing, but our kids need us to fight for our rights and theirs.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I don't mean to be cold or non-caring, but if we can get by the sad music, crying people and funerals dominating every newscast, we can think more clearly.

I am really, really beginning to resent those (including INGOers) who want to keep using the "because I have young children," excuse for why they are wavering on this issue. The majority of us have or have had young kids and are not wavering.

My god, INGOers are making threads and polls determining how much we should compromise. WHAT??? This was a terrible thing, but our kids need us to fight for our rights and theirs.

Old man.... If only you were a woman.

:thatshot::thatshot::thatshot:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Judging from my FB, I don't see the passion for an AWB. Most of the comments are in sympathy to the victims, but most of my Obamanoid friends aren't railing on about a new law.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Judging from my FB, I don't see the passion for an AWB. Most of the comments are in sympathy to the victims, but most of my Obamanoid friends aren't railing on about a new law.

I've got an aunt living in England calling for better treatment for those with mental health issues. She isn't a big fan of guns and I don't think she has ever shot a gun. She has posted several rants about the incident but not one single mention of gun control. She has actually mentioned how it isn't working in England as people are still getting shot and more are being stabbed. I do have one idiot of a friend trying to equate owning semi automatic rifles to someone owning nuclear weapons...even though he'd be to the house and stayed there for days on end with firearms in the house and a couple being unsecured (a shotgun and a Mauser because it didn't fit in the cabinet because of the height).

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011

Im a children and I don't want anyone touching my gun rights

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    TRENDING: Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

As much as I'm sure "trigger finger" Feinstein would love to make her new law retroactive, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 of the US Constitution addresses that pretty definitively.

Remember: this is the person who says YOU shouldn't own an "assault weapon"
    281290_10102006166538108_1348664278_n.jpg

We need to have a talk with that AK. A fine weapon like that shouldn't be hanging around with a skank like Feinstein!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Im a children and I don't want anyone touching my gun rights

If I have my way, we'll be banning children and whack jobs. This will mean adults are allowed to retain their gun rights and we'd have more money for more guns because we wouldn't need to buy kids crap.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will say this simply for everyone, including those INGoers who are crossing the line.....

NO COMPRIMSES, NOT NOW, NOT EVER. PERIOD.

Yes I have a little girl, yes I am heart broken for those lost and for their parents, but HELL NO will I waiver when the pressure is turned up. We need to come together as a community of like minded responsible adults. Not crumble and divide when tragedy hits. This is how the age ol saying goes "divide, and conquer".

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    04DarkShadowGT, great post with great questions, just giving my take on it. I see too many INGO'ers that are on the fence on many topics because it doesn't affect them personally which is shown in this thread.

I am not sure how you can say that a Valedictorian speaking about any topic during a speech is not pushing their opinion on others. That is exactly what it is. The nature of the topic is irrelevant.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Valedictorian is not pushing anything on the assembly. Each can choose to pray or not. Why destroy their Liberty?

Your valedictorian example is more akin to Bob Costas and his speil on gun control the other weekend. Both are talking to captive audiences about topics that don't pertain to the event.

Bob Costas did not have a captive audience, in fact, I changed the channel and have not supported the NFL or NBC in any way since, as has my family and others I know.

My question to you is, would you feel the same if the Valedictorian was praying to Allah?

The Jewish, Christian, and Islamic God are the same God. The differences are in the Prophets and the Holy Trinity. I have spent years listening to Muslim prayers, and it never bothered me one bit. OTOH, taking fire from a Mosque and being unable to deal with it really chapped my butt.

What about if he was talking about how Obama was great and has been a mentor of his?

It is that persons experience. Most people I know are polite enough to at least listen to what has affected others in their lives.

What about if he was talking about the recent events and that he thinks guns should be banned?

Most of those I know would politely argue the point, with facts pertaining to firearms ownership, though it is a waste of time when it comes to people that are set in their ways and beliefs.

What if they were talking about how religion was a bunch of bunk?

It is their choice. See the First Amendment above.

Would you be so supportive of their 1A rights in that case? Something tells me probably not.

The reason we have the 2nd is to protect the 1st.

Personally I would have zero issue with a Valedictorian praying, not even a little. I am merely pointing out the hypocritical nature of many of these type of debates. Many think that whatever it is they are passionate abotu should be allowed, but look the other way when its something they dont care about.

I am passionate about a lot of things, even the blonde laying next to me snoring as loud as a jet plane. But my support of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is unwavering. I spent 22 years under oath in that respect, and every organization I now belong to takes a similar oath. I will not surrender those Liberties under any condition, nor allow the Liberty of others to be taken.

Now onto your OC example, I am not for the government banning open carry. I never would OC, but doesnt mean I want it banned. But I do support the rights of business owners or anyone on their private property saying they do not want guns or people OCing. Ya know property rights and all.

Too bad the state is taking those property rights away incrementally right now, and there are MANY on this forum that wholeheartedly agree with the legislation.

Top Bottom