If you carry, do you have a lawyer at the ready should you have a need?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Since I carry, it would probably be a good idea to have lawyer to contact should a self defense situation occur. Do you have any recommendations for one in central Indiana? If you do, have you introduced yourself and stuff? I am not sure where to start so any advice would be appreciated!

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I have Guy Relford and Kirk Freeman both listed in my phone. Neither of them know it though. :shady:

As an attorney myself, I also have both of them in my phone as well... (Old legal saying...Lawyer that defends himself...has a FOOL for a client...)

However,

1. Don't count on having your cell phone available. If you are involved in a SD shooting you are likely NOT to have it available as you are (if you are) being processed...
    2. Have it written down on a separate card available to spouse or significant other. (I also gave it to my sister as well ...) This way you can first inform her that you are ok, and second get your legal defense triggered.
    3. Dont wait !!! .... call them immediately (even if you are not being arrested or held, which is highly unlikely )and get them on site as soon as possible. And DON'T be giving any statements until they are present. other than... I was attacked, I will press charges, and those are the witnesses. (if you know) and SHUT UP!!! Guaranteed you are not in a psychological or emotional state to be trying to recount anything, especially if your body is still reacting to the adrenaline, fear, relief (from surviving...) or whatever...
    4. Have THEM call your attorney(s), not you! If you are talking to them, you are most likely on a recorded line and also you are then giving up the attorney-client confidentiality for whatever is disclosed in the discussion. It is also good idea to tell that SO person (in advance) DON'T ask questions, or ask for explanations or details. That is for you to discuss with your attorney. In a nutshell, Name Rank Serial number... "Honey, I have been involved in a shooting.... I'm not hurt (or if you are hurt, if it is not life threatening, just say your fine... ( One of the few times that a white lie to the wife might be appropriate), but Call (attorney So and so) right away, and tell him I am at...(place). The phone number is.....
    I will talk to you later about this privately..."
    5. Then remember the following "Officer, I will fully and completely cooperate and give you a full statement, once I have been able to calm down, and with my attorney present." This is the automatic answer, even if they continue to ask you seemingly simple and general questions. There job is NOT to console you or be your confessor... they have a shooting, a dead (or more often than not, only shot...) person, and their job is to get the facts of what happened... At that point, even if you think you do, you DONT KNOW for fact... see automatic answer 1 above.

As to the NRA... are you willing to BET your familys entire financial future (and possibly your personal freedom) on trusting that the NRA is going to be there to help you out when you need it? Not me...
    Although I know they sometimes get involved, (either with Amicus Briefs to the court, or in some cases expert testimony) I have NOT heard that there is any support for legal defense costs. Therefore, unless you have a handy 75-100 thousand laying around, you should consider this in advance. There are several options, and each has their advantages and disadvantages, but strongly consider one if not two of the following...

ACLDN- Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network- Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. (Member driven)
    USCCA- US Concealed Carry Association- Home » Concealed Carry Report - USConcealedCarry.net + Shield Program (Insurance with member/beneficiaries driven)
    And incidentially an excellent excellent magazine... well worth the cover to cover read...

CCWSAFE- CCW Safe defends those who carry concealed against criminal, civil and administrative actions. (this is a more recent entry into the CCW insurance field... private entity )

Regardless, It could be the most valuable insurance you ever take and for the cost ($75-150) is more than reasonable.
    Stay Safe...
    IN_Sheepdog

Disclaimer:
    AIAAL/IANYL YMMV (although I am a lawyer, I am not YOUR lawyer, your mileage may vary...) This reply should NOT be considered personal legal advice.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I do not have an attorney at the ready.. I actually had never put much thought into this. Something I definitely need to look into. Thanks for bringing it up!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not have an attorney on retainer.

I have traveled and worked in many cities where I did not know anyone or have any relatives. Most of my travels I have also been single. Whenever I move to a strange town, I find a reputable bail bondsman, and make friends with him. Sort of setting up an account. I have never actually needed to have one bail me out. Even if you are totally innocent and get picked up on a mistaken identity error, you need someone to come get you out so that you can take care of business.

rdb700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Southern IN
    Im not positive without looking into it but I believe the NRA is to be purchased. And like all other insurance the more coverage you want the more $$$.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    As an attorney myself, I also have both of them in my phone as well... (Old legal saying...Lawyer that defends himself...has a FOOL for a client...)

However,

1. Don't count on having your cell phone available. If you are involved in a SD shooting you are likely NOT to have it available as you are (if you are) being processed...
    2. Have it written down on a separate card available to spouse or significant other. (I also gave it to my sister as well ...) This way you can first inform her that you are ok, and second get your legal defense triggered.
    3. Dont wait !!! .... call them immediately (even if you are not being arrested or held, which is highly unlikely )and get them on site as soon as possible. And DON'T be giving any statements until they are present. other than... I was attacked, I will press charges, and those are the witnesses. (if you know) and SHUT UP!!! Guaranteed you are not in a psychological or emotional state to be trying to recount anything, especially if your body is still reacting to the adrenaline, fear, relief (from surviving...) or whatever...
    4. Have THEM call your attorney(s), not you! If you are talking to them, you are most likely on a recorded line and also you are then giving up the attorney-client confidentiality for whatever is disclosed in the discussion. It is also good idea to tell that SO person (in advance) DON'T ask questions, or ask for explanations or details. That is for you to discuss with your attorney. In a nutshell, Name Rank Serial number... "Honey, I have been involved in a shooting.... I'm not hurt (or if you are hurt, if it is not life threatening, just say your fine... ( One of the few times that a white lie to the wife might be appropriate), but Call (attorney So and so) right away, and tell him I am at...(place). The phone number is.....
    I will talk to you later about this privately..."
    5. Then remember the following "Officer, I will fully and completely cooperate and give you a full statement, once I have been able to calm down, and with my attorney present." This is the automatic answer, even if they continue to ask you seemingly simple and general questions. There job is NOT to console you or be your confessor... they have a shooting, a dead (or more often than not, only shot...) person, and their job is to get the facts of what happened... At that point, even if you think you do, you DONT KNOW for fact... see automatic answer 1 above.

As to the NRA... are you willing to BET your familys entire financial future (and possibly your personal freedom) on trusting that the NRA is going to be there to help you out when you need it? Not me...
    Although I know they sometimes get involved, (either with Amicus Briefs to the court, or in some cases expert testimony) I have NOT heard that there is any support for legal defense costs. Therefore, unless you have a handy 75-100 thousand laying around, you should consider this in advance. There are several options, and each has their advantages and disadvantages, but strongly consider one if not two of the following...

ACLDN- Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network- Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. (Member driven)
    USCCA- US Concealed Carry Association- Home » Concealed Carry Report - USConcealedCarry.net + Shield Program (Insurance with member/beneficiaries driven)
    And incidentially an excellent excellent magazine... well worth the cover to cover read...

CCWSAFE- CCW Safe defends those who carry concealed against criminal, civil and administrative actions. (this is a more recent entry into the CCW insurance field... private entity )

Regardless, It could be the most valuable insurance you ever take and for the cost ($75-150) is more than reasonable.
    Stay Safe...
    IN_Sheepdog

Disclaimer:
    AIAAL/IANYL YMMV (although I am a lawyer, I am not YOUR lawyer, your mileage may vary...) This reply should NOT be considered personal legal advice.

Ok, I'm dense. In #4 who is "them".

Top Bottom