• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So, if you could go back to your young, ignorant self, and repurchase your first handgun, would you choose what you bought in the first place, or would it be something different? What was your first handgun? Were you satisfied? Would you have got something different? If so, what?

Personally, I am satisfied with my decision. I purchased an old Ruger p89 Full Size, Steel Frame, 9mm off a friend for $80. Looked like an old police trade in. It had very evident holster wear. Despite looking like the rear end of a baboon, and being heavier than a fully occupied cruise ship, the thing shot and shot well.
    I've since sold it... well traded it, for about 170rds of m855, 3 Lancer L5 mags, a single point bungee sling, and some 9mm, but I regret it. The mags and sling were used by my best friend in 3 Afghan Tours though, so its pretty cool to have. He's with an elite group in the rangers, so I know they've seen some stuff haha.

I'm also a firm believer of everyone's first (defensive) handgun being a full size, steel frame. I feel as if it gives a great platform to learn on. Low recoil, much more accurate than compacts, or subs, and they most all have safeties (something that I feel everyone new owner should get use to using).

I've owned many C's and SC's, but i always sell them and go back to my 1911, p226 mk25, or Beretta m9 for EDC, even if its a 100* summer day. I just love a full size steel gun!

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I purchased my first handgun from a friend in about 1985. It was a blue .357 4"Colt trooper, in nearly new condition with the box, and had no holster wear.
    I have so far regretted all but I think two firearms that I have ever sold and this one is in the top three. I can not remember what made me think that it was a good idea to sell it, but now I will think a lot longer before I will ever sell any firearms again.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My first handgun purchase was a Model 66 S&W. I still have it, about 30 years later, so I guess I wouldn't change a thing.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Hmm... If I had it to do over again, I probably would wish more that I'd held onto a couple guns that I either sold or traded rather than giving into my changing tastes. As I've progressed and matured with what I like and what works best for me, I've often found that I've come full-circle.

That said, my first handgun was a Gen4 Glock 17. I don't really miss that one, and wish I'd gotten the do-it-all G19 instead (which I now have). In the larger scheme of what my first gun almost was, I was looking hard at a revolver, specifically a Ruger SP101, but ended up walking out with the semi-auto Glock. Much as I've come to enjoy my younger brother's revolvers (he has both a S&W 66 and 686 that are ridiculously sweet to shoot!), I'm not at all sorry I went down the semi-auto path, it has been a very enjoyable journey. I enjoy tinkering, whether it's with changing oil or brake jobs, or taking apart/cleaning/reassembling pistols after a range trip.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

My first pistol purchase as I needed to learn to shoot a pistol first. This was the first year the government model was sold to the shooting public. Second purchase was a smith model 60 38 special. Third was a contender 223 and 35 rem barrels in 14
    inch. Still have all 3 still use all 3. After that I did many weird buys including a Bren ten that I sold cause it did not feed right. The mags that were to fix the feeding never arrived at my local gun pusher and I sold off that pistol. I wish I had not they are worth a small fortune today.

The only pistol I wished I had pulled the trigger on was a h&k p7 m9 that I saved up 500 for but forgot about tax. Next show the German mark was worth more than the US dollar so the price was more and once again I was short of cash by a small amount. I still want one.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    My first handgun was a Glock 22 Gen 3. I originally bought it to carry at work right after I received my lifetime LTCH. I'm content with where I'm at. If I could back and change a purchase I would also lose the experience I gained from having that firearm.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My first was a CZ-40P.

And I'd do it over again for sure. I'd definitely have researched more.

Same with #s 2 & 3 - a KelTec P11 and a Beretta 9000s.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    My first was a sig sp2022 9mm, I really did like that gun and shot it extremely good it just got to big for EDC for my liking, I ended up trading it for a 38 ultralite for the summer nand $200. I still have the 38 and the $200 well that's a different story :):.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My P11 wasn't junk.

Just an itty bitty tiny gun firing a high-pressure self-defense round. Not at all fun to practice with. Carried like a dream, though.

-J-

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Short answer is yes, there are things I would do differently.
    Long answer:
    1: I wouldn't have listened to ex-wives and would have bought the guns I really wanted decades ago.
    2: The first pistol I actually purchased for myself (not carried, was given or had issued) was a Taurus .45 24/7. I regretted buying it, didn't really like it and ended up selling it a loss soon afterward just to finance a 1911 which is what I should have purchased in the first place.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    The first handgun I purchased / carried was a Walther PK380. I chose it because it felt comfortable in my hand. I shot it quite a bit but expirienced too many malfunctions. I contacted the manufacturer and they replaced it. Never had a problem after I recieved the new firearm but the damage (in my head) had already been done. I did not feel comfortable trusting my life to that firearm. Additionally there are far better firearms on the market that are the same size as the PK380 but in a larger caliber. I do not have a whole lot against the .380 caliber, I actually carry a .380 every day (Ruger LCP) in a pocket holster. Now my go to carry guns are a Shield 9mm or a Glock 19. I love both equally :D

I ended up trading the Walther for a Smith & Wesson 642-2 Airweight. I have absolutely no regrets in trading off the Walther. My only regret is that I sold the 642 to fund another project :dunno:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My first was an S&W 469. I enjoyed it very much. I regret buying a lot of guns but I'm not sure I would want to go back and not have the benefit of the experience.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My first gun sucked, never realized just how badly, until I got a different one. It was a .22 Jennings. If I could go back, I would have bought a quality revolver and trained more.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First handgun I purchased was a Walther P22. Still have it, and I still shoot it. My wife really likes it. Inexpensive, fun, and gets me to the range to plink.

First defensive handgun I purchased was my XD40SC. Still carry it every day. If I knew then what I know now, I MAY have gotten a full-sized model, but there is nothing wrong with this one.

If I would change anything, I would have gotten a REALLY nice holster on day 1. I've gone through several, and will likely go through more, trying to find "the one".

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    My first is a glock 17 Gen 3. I have had it less than a year and would not go back and change a thing. I have shot many different handguns over my life that were owned by family or friends. I never felt the need to buy one of my own until we moved to a place out away from any neighbors. At this point I felt it was a needed tool that was needed.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'd buy the same thing again. My first handgun was a Beretta 92F, I loved the way it looked and felt in my hand the first time I picked it up. Nothing has changed since I got it 25 years ago. Still have it, still love it!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Aw HAYell naw.
    I bought a lightweight snubbed nose because some man said that's what I needed.
    I didn't know any better at the time. But I have since slugged him.
    Kept the gun, though.

Top Bottom