• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    First was a Colt King Cobra Stainless Steel 6" barrel 357. It was ok, but I liked the GP100 6" Ruger my brother bought better.

I sold that gun off a long time ago. Would be nice to still have it, but it really would serve no purpose given where I am with my gun preferences for the past several years. I've bought several many years ago that I wish I had not wasted the money on. Some were good guns but just not for me, a few were just junk. For the most part no regrets on having sold guns off, except not getting as much for some of them as I should have.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    My first handgun purchase was a Model 66 S&W. I still have it, about 30 years later, so I guess I wouldn't change a thing.

This was my first purchase. Bought it used I guess 18-19 years ago. I would never sell it. Still love it and the boy who my wife was pregnant with when I first shot it, wants that gun when I kick the bucket.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    SpaldingPM,
    Thank ya sir. If you're looking for ivory give Jim a holler at Nutmeg Sports. He used to work for the Colt custom shop. His work is great and prices are fair. They are going up about 10% after the first of the year though. I was going to get another pair for an old blued Gov't model but the $200.00 I gave for the grips pictured, back in 02 has gone up to $275.00. (They were actually $230.00 with the deep dish medallions) He will put standard nickel or brass colored medallions on free of charge. He made the grips for the SAA and 380 Gov't as well.

loudpedal,
    DIRTROAD was close on the price but I cheated. My dad was a dealer and I believe I paid $165.00 for that pistol NIB.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SpaldingPM,
    Thank ya sir. If you're looking for ivory give Jim a holler at Nutmeg Sports. He used to work for the Colt custom shop. His work is great and prices are fair. They are going up about 10% after the first of the year though. I was going to get another pair for an old blued Gov't model but the $200.00 I gave for the grips pictured, back in 02 has gone up to $275.00. (They were actually $230.00 with the deep dish medallions) He will put standard nickel or brass colored medallions on free of charge. He made the grips for the SAA and 380 Gov't as well.

loudpedal,
    DIRTROAD was close on the price but I cheated. My dad was a dealer and I believe I paid $165.00 for that pistol NIB.

Thanks. I've written the info down.

Your collection is beyond words my friend. All I can say is wow.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    SpaldingPM,
    Again, thank you. I've always had a passion for ivory and would have more if it wasn't for the cost. It's surprising it isn't even higher considering any ivory imported after 1989 can't be used for commercial purposes. I think the day will ultimately come when a set of grips will be as much as the gun they're going on.
    If you really want to see some beautiful guns check out Nutmeg's website. Besides making and fitting ivory, Jim offers engraved guns as well. There are some real lookers on there.

Last edited:

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    1st purchase was back in 1983- a new S&W Model 586 4" barrel. Love it and still shoot it on a regular basis. I was torn between the Smithy and the Colt Python. Back then a few bucks made decisions. I really wish I would have bought the Python though!

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My first handgun was a Ruger Single-Six I bought in the early 70s for $105.00. I taught my children to shoot with it, and my son will teach his son to shoot with it. I guess it was a good purchase.

Tom

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first was a Ruger P97DC (45 acp). Not a bad gun, but I traded it in on an M&P .45 and never regretted it. Since then I've gotten several more, both revolvers and semi-autos. The M&P has been relegated to nightstand duty.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    My first gun was a Colt king cobra with 4 inch barrel, blued with rosewood grips, in .357 mag. I paid 375.00 for it , and was forced to sell it to pay bills a few years ago. I have regretted it ever since. It was big, it was heavy but boy was it a sweet gun.

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    I had my grandfather purchase my first handgun for me when I was 18 back in '91, a 2nd gen Glock 19. Sold it years ago, but I've always had a g19 in my collection.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    So, if you could go back to your young, ignorant self, and repurchase your first handgun, would you choose what you bought in the first place, or would it be something different? What was your first handgun? Were you satisfied? Would you have got something different? If so, what?

Personally, I am satisfied with my decision. I purchased an old Ruger p89 Full Size, Steel Frame, 9mm off a friend for $80. Looked like an old police trade in. It had very evident holster wear. Despite looking like the rear end of a baboon, and being heavier than a fully occupied cruise ship, the thing shot and shot well.
    I've since sold it... well traded it, for about 170rds of m855, 3 Lancer L5 mags, a single point bungee sling, and some 9mm, but I regret it. The mags and sling were used by my best friend in 3 Afghan Tours though, so its pretty cool to have. He's with an elite group in the rangers, so I know they've seen some stuff haha.

I'm also a firm believer of everyone's first (defensive) handgun being a full size, steel frame. I feel as if it gives a great platform to learn on. Low recoil, much more accurate than compacts, or subs, and they most all have safeties (something that I feel everyone new owner should get use to using).

I've owned many C's and SC's, but i always sell them and go back to my 1911, p226 mk25, or Beretta m9 for EDC, even if its a 100* summer day. I just love a full size steel gun!

My first gun was a SA XDm 9mm purchased new in November of 08. I wanted capacity, relatively inexpensive practice ammo(compared to .40 and .45), and yet a good defensive round as well. I don't regret my purchase so I don't ever intend to sell my XDm. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would go with a full size, steel 1911. A second gun purchase in .22lr would have followed soon after for training purposes. I made the mistake of shooting one of my dad's Kimbers. Once I got bit with the 1911 bug and felt the SA trigger in action, I find that polymer handguns just don't interest me very much any more. If I had to rank my trigger preference from first to last, it would be SA first, striker-fired second, and DA/SA a distant third.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Once I got bit with the 1911 bug and felt the SA trigger in action, I find that polymer handguns just don't interest me very much any more. If I had to rank my trigger preference from first to last, it would be SA first, striker-fired second, and DA/SA a distant third.

Interesting. I too like the 1911 type SA trigger. And I am not too excited about the "sproing" of the striker-fired trigger. Enough that I am going to sell my M&P.

But why do you put the DA/SA at a "distant" third? I am seriously considering a Sig P226 as a replacement for my M&P.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    nothing. still have it. orig g17.
    my one regret is giving back the colt 1911 commander my uncle gave me when I was moving across country... years later I gave it back to him out of respect and his dumb ass left it in his truck and it was stolen. if I had just kept it, I'd still have it too!!!

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    My first purchase was a brand-new blued Norinco 1911A1 in .45 ACP. I had spent several hundred dollars in modifications on it , as well. The weapon was a flawless shooter & very accurate. I eventually sold it & kind of regret selling it. However, knowing what I now know... If I could time travel, I would tell my less wise, younger self to spend those hundreds of dollars on a quality heirloom, such as a Colt Gold Cup.
    20+ years later, I finally have a Colt 1911 and wish I had bought one sooner. I will never buy any 1911 of lesser quality again.

Moral of the story: If you want a 1911... Save your money and buy a Quality 1911 that will increase in value & you would be proud to pass on to your children

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Interesting. I too like the 1911 type SA trigger. And I am not too excited about the "sproing" of the striker-fired trigger. Enough that I am going to sell my M&P.

But why do you put the DA/SA at a "distant" third? I am seriously considering a Sig P226 as a replacement for my M&P.

For me, it is simply personal preference on the DA/SA handguns. No matter how many times I shoot it, the DA trigger seems really long to me. Once the first shot is out of the way, then switching over to SA mode, something about the trigger action seems "off" to me. With that said, there ARE some nice DA/SA handguns out there I DO like. The Sig P226s, P229s, CZs, or even the Beretta 92fs are some of the ones that come to mind.

Like I said earlier, I have been bitten so hard by the 1911 bug that it makes it hard for me to look at or even feel comfortable shooting other handguns. My father and brother, on the other hand, seem to shoot all three trigger styles with minimal issues.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    First Handgun was a Stainless Taurus PT 100 in 40 S&W. Shot and carried that gun for quite a few years. I eventually stepped up to an XD45. If I had it to do all over again I would still buy that gun for sure.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    my first was sig 2022 in 9mm my mom had to buy for me in 2011. I loved it. It shot great I had no problem carrying and concealing it. only down side is that the extra sig mags are a little pricey. I trade all the time and ended up trading it for an ria 1911 and now im carrying a glock 19. Overall if I could do it again I think id still go with the sig. A lot of gun for just under $400 :D

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Theres a reason i have "family guns" and "disposable guns" my first buy was a sigma in 9mm. it lasted about 2 boxes before it got traded off.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I inherited all of my guns from my great uncle, so I havent bought anything till this summer, but the first handgun I really shot alot was a smith and wesson model 10-6 with a 4 inch heavy barrel and hogue grips. I couldnt think of another gun I would of had as my first pistol, it has a nice weight and feel to it(I dont know, polymer guns just dont feel "right" and the recoil seems worse to me), beautiful blued frame, and its very smooth and very accurate. And while I cant hit for **** with a semi-auto, inside 20 yards, I can get rifle like groups on single action.

I would do over having that as my first gun, and both me and my dad wil never give that gun up. Its a shame .38 special is so damned expensive now

Top Bottom