If you could live anywhere in the U.S. .......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I am considering moving at some point and have been asking friends for their opinions and ideas on where would be an "upgrade" from Indiana's schizo-frantic weather.

Obviously firearm ownership is important to me but so is a more agreeable climate for riding my motorcycle. BTW - Being a big guy, I can take heat but man oh man do I freakin' hate humidity!!! :chillout:

So...... ideas, experiences, comments???? :dunno:

EDIT: OK while I do want to hear where YOU want to live, I'm also interested in recommendations for ME, (i.e. NOT in any part of Indiana, Low humidity levels, More stable weather patterns).

Interesting responses!!! Thanks to everyone so far!!! :cheers:

Last edited:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    NO, Phoenix, AZ is kind of HOT!!!

I am thinking of Northern AZ. Around Williams/Grand Canyon area. High enough you don't get the really hot weather but still have the low humidity. Real beautiful area also.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Pheonix Arizona is a tough place. Kind of ghetto imo. Hubby lived there for years and has swore to never move back to that death trap!

I don't have anything better...

SC?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I lived near Denver for 10 years and loved it. I'd move back in a heartbeat. Amazing beauty, great weather (really!), no humidity, decent gun laws, and people really like living there. It's one of those cities that people move to from all around the country for quality of life.

Cost of living is higher than Indiana, though.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've visited half the states in the ConUs, but only lived in two - IN & FL.
    The spousal unit informed me this morning that he's strongly leaning toward trying to find work in TX (one of the places he used to live). I'm not fond of the idea of living some place I've never even visited, and that's one I haven't.
    I'm kind of attached to Indiana for a litany of reasons and if his TX job search really comes to fruition, I guess I'll have to let go of some really strong ties.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Flagstaff, AZ is a really beautiful area...just south of the Grand Canyon and north of Sedona. During the winter, you will see some snow, but not like here in Indiana.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    s
    I've visited half the states in the ConUs, but only lived in two - IN & FL.
    The spousal unit informed me this morning that he's strongly leaning toward trying to find work in TX (one of the places he used to live). I'm not fond of the idea of living some place I've never even visited, and that's one I haven't.
    I'm kind of attached to Indiana for a litany of reasons and if his TX job search really comes to fruition, I guess I'll have to let go of some really strong ties.

Depending on where in TX, there are completely different climates almost. I was raised down in the Rio Grande Valley and I would not wish that on anybody. I have lived in TX, IL, IN, and NE and like Indiana the most so far. I once took a 9000 mile trip around the United States (in a 20 yr old sports car) after getting out of the service to look for a different place to move to.

Of all of the places I went through a couple spring to mind. Denver has been mentioned, if you want big city and mountains, it is not bad there. I had a lot of trouble with the lack of humidity. You have to drink twice as much water as you think you need to get along there. Grand Junction was interesting looking. I thought I would like Phoenix but found Flagstaff to be much more inviting. Most places in Komifornia were nice, I just wouldn't live there for obvious reasons, or at least should be obvious.

All in all, everyplace I went, I found pluses and minuses and did not move to any of the places I visited. I felt claustrophobic in Denver after living on the plains for years. I love the Atlantic and Gulf but then you have to put up with Hurricanes. I love the Pacific but wouldn't live in Komifornia or Seattle for that matter. I just really like Indianapolis as a city and Indiana as a state. I didn't pick Indianapolis, but I am glad I ended up here.

Phoenix, AZ would be kind of cool.

I know a big bike rider that moved there and thought the same thing. It is too hot much of the year to ride during the day for him.

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    If not here I'd be in Colorado, Arizona third, Missouri fourth.
    Stopped in a diner off of i70 last week called Bobbers (Missouri), one in three were either openly carrying or not bothering with concealment.
    No one seemed to care/notice, food wasn't bad either.
    Laws in Colorado aren't bad though the population is booming. Cost of living has gone through the roof.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    TN is beautiful. I could see myself living there or in KY. I've lived in Texas and they can keep it (sorry, Texans).

I've owned or rented places in KY, OH, TX and IN. Ultimately, I came back to the land of Hoosiers. We've got to do something about this SBS law, though.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    The Florida Keys for me. Someday I'm gonna have a house down there and spend the winters tarpon fishing. I like Indiana in the summer though. And there's no way I'd be in Florida for the month of May.

Top Bottom