If you could live anywhere in the U.S. .......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've lived in Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and California.

Texas is great. The farther away from the Mexican Border and big cities, the better, although San Antonio is pretty nice. DFW has a lot of really bad storms and tornados. Alpine is a nice area if you don't mind being in a remote area. The hill country, say around Kerrville, is really nice. Texans, for the most part, are very friendly. A big drawback for me is that there is little public land in Texas.

Florida has a lot going for it. It is gun friendly. The bad side is the weather, i.e. hurricanes and humidity.

I hear a lot of good things about Arizona. I've vacationed there. Sedona is beautiful, but expensive. I would want to live in central or northern AZ if it were me. Phoenix is way too urbanized with the blight and problems that come with it.

And now for my pick:joke:
    Central and Northern New Mexico is a well kept secret. The people are really nice there. The climate and scenery is super. The NRA's Whittington Center has the nicest shooting ranges in the country.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    After thinking about it some more colorado would make my short list. Maybe not downtown dever, but somewhere around there would be neat.

The Lake Tahoe area also looks like it has potential as a cool place to live :)

I have lived in Florida, Connecticut and Indiana so far. I would consider moving back to florida, but everything is so urbanized there is hardly any rural land left. There is also the hurricane possibility, awful humidity, daily thunder storms, and the endless plethora of strip malls.

Connecticut was my least favourite of the three states I lived in. Way to expensive for no good reason, the typical stuck-up attitude shared among almost everyone, and the bad gun laws. On the plus side the countryside was really pretty, and we were pretty close to Boston which was fun for weekend trips.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Galt's Gulch for me. That's about the only thing that will probably draw me away from here. Maybe Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, or Colorado.

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    I am considering moving at some point and have been asking friends for their opinions and ideas on where would be an "upgrade" from Indiana's schizo-frantic weather.

Obviously firearm ownership is important to me but so is a more agreeable climate for riding my motorcycle. BTW - Being a big guy, I can take heat but man oh man do I freakin' hate humidity!!! :chillout:

So...... ideas, experiences, comments???? :dunno:

EDIT: OK while I do want to hear where YOU want to live, I'm also interested in recommendations for ME, (i.e. NOT in any part of Indiana, Low humidity levels, More stable weather patterns).

Interesting responses!!! Thanks to everyone so far!!! :cheers:
    Somewhere on the west coast Weather is typically pretty stable out there, I used to live in California in the valley it has great weather doesn't rain in the summer, can ride a motorcycle for most of the year. Bad thing there is gun laws so maybe try and look into Oregon might be nice and I hear they are gun friendly up there.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would like to live in Hawaii. It is always 70s and 80s there.
    My Dad, who lived there for a few years, said he got island fever.

I told him I would like to TRY and get island fever. I have been there and not one minute was not fabulous. It was fantastic. I even visited my company's office there to peek in on them. I would likely get skin cancer quickly, there though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'd go back to South Dakota in a heartbeat. It's beautiful country and the pace of life was so much more relaxed. Of course if you are not a fan of snow and strong thunderstorms it's not the place for you. I had no idea you could experience thunder during a snowstorm until we moved out there....talk about weird! Another favorite area of mine is around lake Cumberland in KY.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've thought of the very same things CS1. Bikes, guns, and tax freedom are key selling points.

Northern AZ, southern UT seem like prime spots. Low humidity, heat isn't as bad as the southern regions, scenic, twisty mountain roads, relatively gun friendly, plenty of outdoors stuff to do....

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Florida Keys for me. Someday I'm gonna have a house down there and spend the winters tarpon fishing. I like Indiana in the summer though. And there's no way I'd be in Florida for the month of May.

I think the median average temp in the Keys only varies 14 degrees. I love it down there. I talked to a guy that worked for the govt on the docks of Key West. He was one of the only ones he knew that stayed in Key West after retiring and still had his house on Key West. All of his friends moved away and wished they could move back but could no longer afford a house on the island. I will never forget the smell of the ocean from my youth and anytime I am near one it brings back a lot of memories.

I still love Indiana just the same.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I'm originally from Indianapolis but have lived in Texas and New Mexico. Was stationed in central Texas in the 80's with the Army. Got out and worked for a company that moved me from Ft Hood to Albuquerque, NM. Stayed there for a year and then was moved to Austin, TX and finally down to Houston.

I would move back to the Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country. Climate, people, beauty, taxes, jobs, outdoor sports. Just about all the things I like. Houston was neat because I fished on the gulf quite a bit. Had friends at work who were natives and showed me how to fish for flounder, speckled trout, and redfish. Very cool...Took our motorcycles on some long road trips...Langtry Texas..down in the Big Bend area..."Law West of The Pecos"
    (Remember the Paul Newman movie, "Judge Roy Bean" Lots of history!

New Mexico was neat too...but I was single and there seemed to be an abundance of single ladies. I had a nice paycheck coming in ...and...well...:rockwoot:

Indiana can be very pretty too...As they say, great place to raise a family!

Top Bottom