• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    This will eventually turn into a drive for more money to the .gov, and less freedom for the rabble. Similar to the cries for more military spending..... the Pentagon just can't operate without more funds, even though military spending has doubled in less than two decades, and they can't account for more than $100 billion of that spending. Just shovel more money into the hole.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Whatever happens, I don't want it to be societally acceptable to charge people with crimes they might commit, or to commit people to mental institutions unless they actually need committed. Those 39 times show that the guy has some mental/socialization issues. But has he committed a crime, and is there a clear reason to detain him for mental issues? I don't know.

I do think that if people called local police to report his Youtube videos and other social media posts, and they still didn't do anything, then I'd say they have some major explaining to do. I'm just not willing to give up standards which protect people's rights not to be detained by whim, just because it seems obvious to us that this guy should have been.

After 9/11 didn't they refer this as unable to connect the dots?

BBI is right. If every time some kid gets mad and posts some stupid FB post, his mom and dad's house gets raided and their guns get confiscated, that would be an untenable eventuality. But there is probably some room between swatting every gun owner or kid being bullied and lashing out and guys like this who've been on the radar for months or years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    After 9/11 didn't they refer this as unable to connect the dots?

BBI is right. If every time some kid gets mad and posts some stupid FB post, his mom and dad's house gets raided and their guns get confiscated, that would be an untenable eventuality. But there is probably some room between swatting every gun owner or kid being bullied and lashing out and guys like this who've been on the radar for months or years.

Well, the case where the grandmother turned in her grandkid, I think that was appropriately handled.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, the case where the grandmother turned in her grandkid, I think that was appropriately handled.

I think so too. Seems like there's an opportunity to study why one worked and the other didn't and maybe learn some lessons for the future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Whatever happens, I don't want it to be societally acceptable to charge people with crimes they might commit, or to commit people to mental institutions unless they actually need committed. Those 39 times show that the guy has some mental/socialization issues. But has he committed a crime, and is there a clear reason to detain him for mental issues? I don't know.

I do think that if people called local police to report his Youtube videos and other social media posts, and they still didn't do anything, then I'd say they have some major explaining to do. I'm just not willing to give up standards which protect people's rights not to be detained by whim, just because it seems obvious to us that this guy should have been.

And in this I completely agree. I am just looking at the long paper trail of many who have went off the deep end and started shooting up schools political gatherings and movie theaters. How in the name of (insert favorite deity) do we connect the freaking dots. After 39 visits by the locals I would hope someone takes notice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully, this will be the straw that breaks the camels back. Many of us are very pro law enforcement, but there is no excuse for this.

The same applies to the school administration. If reporting was properly done, this terrible tragedy didn't need to happen.

On top of all of this, the lack of these authorities doing their job throws us into a fight to keep our 2A rights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hopefully, this will be the straw that breaks the camels back. Many of us are very pro law enforcement, but there is no excuse for this.

The same applies to the school administration. If reporting was properly done, this terrible tragedy didn't need to happen.

The LEO's in the trenches I am sure are not to blame in this. Where do these reports actually go. Who reads and files them if at all. Can the street LEO's push this into the light so more gets done. Are we dealing with more budget BS here. Or a total disregard from management level.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm sorry, but all people need to be acountable. Stupid kids posting on the interwebs, their parents and any authorities that are brought into the loop.

Otherwise, here we are;

No one is responcible.

See something , say something is useless.

Oh and we'll just go ahead and turn in our guns, because the gun is the real fault in this?

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I read (:dunno:) that there were 20 some odd calls to the local sheriff and we see how that worked out for the dead and wounded.

39. 39 times they were called to his residence for domestic issues. Crazy
    For me that number just blows my mind. For some of the Leo's on here I bet they have addresses on their beat that probably rivals that number.
    I'm deffinately not a fan of "pre-copping" or "pre-crime" but it just bafles me that we don't have some way to hold people or make them seek help if they threaten schools or cops or government officials, or even just regular citizens.

Mother of all that is Holy. WTF.
    That is not really all that unusual. Lots of addresses we deal with have a similar frequency.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    [video=youtube;AZk6yiNq6sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZk6yiNq6sw[/video]

Idiots on an emotion train.

Stop making schools a soft target. Arm and train willing teachers and coaches and yes, even janitors. Attacking our children should make you an instant target of opportunity. Guaranteed the number of school shootings will go down.
    They attack schools because they know that nobody is gonna shoot back. BASTARDS.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Idiots on an emotion train.

Stop making schools a soft target. Arm and train willing teachers and coaches and yes, even janitors. Attacking our children should make you an instant target of opportunity. Guaranteed the number of school shootings will go down.
    They attack schools because they know that nobody is gonna shoot back. BASTARDS.

I think is a little beyond the pale to call the people from the community that just endured this tragedy, "idiots." Emotional, and maybe even blinded with grief, but I wouldn't ever say that they were idiots.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is being an illegal a felony? Serious question.
    Next time the local cops won't arrest an illegal that hits you in a traffic accident Maybe a citizens arrest and transport to ICE office is necessary

State code can't give you (or me) the authority to enforce federal law. State/local officers have to be "dual badged", as in sworn in as a fed as well, in order to do so.

39 times shows a certain pattern don't you think. Just saying. We have to learn to see the difference I would guess.

A pattern isn't necessarily a crime or actionable. As others have stated, we get called to the same address for the same family squabbles quite a bit, but if nobody is breaking the law or meets the criteria for a involuntary commitment, there's not a lot other than talking we can do. The law and due process remain, no matter how many times we get called.

Intervention is a reasonable response to seeing evidence that the kid was planning to do a mass shooting. I don't think intervention is treading all that close to the concept of "pre-crime".

Whatever happens, I don't want it to be societally acceptable to charge people with crimes they might commit...

Reasonable minds can differ on where the line is drawn, but you've got to have the ability to intervene and segregate dangerous people from society.

It's more than just a soft target. They attack schools because it'll make them famous, that's where the people who "wronged" them are, and at that age it's a big part of their world. That said, I agree with the premise of armed and trained people on site. If nothing else, it should reduce casualty counts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;5dQGsPmvOJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQGsPmvOJE[/video]

[video=youtube;xn6Z7tY_EJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6Z7tY_EJE[/video]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom