• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I would love to speak with the individual who was pulled over by Valparaiso Police in his vehicle after eating at the North side McDonalds on Wednesday afternoon 8/16/12. The stop happened on East Evans Av. I was listening to the whole incident on the scanner. If you happen to be an INGO member please PM me.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There was a call placed to Valpo PD regarding a man wearing an exposed handgun in a holster eating in the McDonalds on the north side of Valpo. It is unknown whether the call was placed by the restaurant staff or a patron.

Two officers were dispatched, but the individual had left the restaurant with his female friend before they arrived. Using a vehicle description and plate number provided by the caller, they caught up with the individual several miles from the restaurant.

One of the officers initiated a traffic stop, and subsequently requested drivers license status and warrant information on BOTH individuals in the vehicle. Neither individual had any issues, and the dispatcher also informed the officer that the male subject had a "lifetime personal protection permit". Shortly after that a second officer ran a check on a handgun.

Shortly thereafter both officers returned to service with no further action taken.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Hmm, wouldn't that be an illegal stop? Also, once they were informed there were no warrants and that the man had a valid LTCH how can they take his gun and run a check on it? I know LEO are above the law but is this kosher?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    There was a call placed to Valpo PD regarding a man wearing an exposed handgun in a holster eating in the McDonalds on the north side of Valpo. It is unknown whether the call was placed by the restaurant staff or a patron.

Two officers were dispatched, but the individual had left the restaurant with his female friend before they arrived. Using a vehicle description and plate number provided by the caller, they caught up with the individual several miles from the restaurant.

One of the officers initiated a traffic stop, and subsequently requested drivers license status and warrant information on BOTH individuals in the vehicle. Neither individual had any issues, and the dispatcher also informed the officer that the male subject had a "lifetime personal protection permit". Shortly after that a second officer ran a check on a handgun.

Shortly thereafter both officers returned to service with no further action taken.

Thanks for the info. It sounds pretty routine to me except for the very last part but hey I'm sure the individual doesn't know all his right, Indiana codes and case law. It would be nice to get his side of the story.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmm, wouldn't that be an illegal stop? Also, once they were informed there were no warrants and that the man had a valid LTCH how can they take his gun and run a check on it? I know LEO are above the law but is this kosher?
    I didn't read that in the narrative anywhere.

What I did read is an opportunity for the 911 dispatcher to get a description of what the MWAHG (Man with a holstered gun) was doing with the holstered gun and then educating the caller as to fact that such conduct is not unlawful in Indiana.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

:noway:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

What I did read is an opportunity for the 911 dispatcher to get a description of what the MWAHG (Man with a holstered gun) was doing with the holstered gun and then educating the caller as to fact that such conduct is not unlawful in Indiana.

:+1:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

On what grounds was the traffic stop done for? :dunno:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI

I don't believe dispatchers have that authority. Their job is to take the call, provide the information to an officer, and allow them to take it from there. If a decision is to be made as to whether or not to continue with the call, that decision is to be made by the shift supervisor. In this case, the shift supervisor is the officer that initiated the stop.

How do I know this, you ask? Valpo has a hierarchy for officers. 300's patrolmen/women, 200's sergeants and corporals, 100's lieutenants and above. The officer making the stop was a 100 class officer, and there was only 1 on duty at that time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom