• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So the title might be a little misleading. I don't think this will end up being a true homestead based on what I would consider a homestead, but my goal is to produce at least 1/3rd to 1/2 of the food my family eats off my own land within 5 years. I have had many threads where I have gotten lots of good advice on things to this point and at some point will go find them all and provide the links in this thread so others who I am sure will go through similar debates with themselves can see all the information I waded through and it might help them. There are conversations about insulation, geothermal, post frame homes, ICF, doing it myself, hiring a contractor, what size barns, tractor purchases, implements ect ect. I will put those links in here in one spot.

The other main purpose for this thread is a place for the remaining discussions (or links to threads about those discussions) pertaining to turning a piece of raw land 6 acres in size (3 wooded flood plain 3 phenominal pasture) into the place where I am going to raise my family.

We close on the construction loan Thursday, should have the building permit pulled by then, and the excavator is already scheduled for installing the fingers of the septic system this Friday at 830 am.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    First thing I would like advice on is what shortcuts would an excavator normally take in installing footers, and septic fingers that I should keep an eye on to be sure I don't get shorted?

When I applied for the permit I had to supply a seeding plan that if any soil is going to be left exposed for more than 15 days I had to put seed on it. Not much of a concern since I am building over winter, but If I am going to be throwing seed down, I would like to be throwing seed that will eventually give me the lawn I desire.

Its full sun for now, but eventually will have SOME, shade but not a huge amount. Its well drained terrace soil that's loamy and sandy. as I move to turn the rough pasture into a yard what should my procedures be? Spray and kill the orchard grass then wait? (how long?) scrape the top layer of w/ the grader box then seed?

Ideally I would like a grass that's durable over anything else. My german shepard is really good at tearing the grass up right off porch steps and the side of the driveway where we play fetch from and where I live now, I just cannot get grass to grow back there, but the existing grass not the newly planted stuff seems to hold up well, so I would like a grass that can handle that. I will not be watering, and it will have minimal fertilizer put down.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a backstop already on the property, that I will unfortunately have to use during the final grading. I do have about 150 yards of trees that I plan to clear to set up a backstop in the woods though. I doubt I will shoot anywhere else again, unless its to shoot with friends who have way better property.

I plan on about a 1/4 acre 10-14 foot deep rubber lined pond on the property so I can raise some bluegill to go fishing w/ the kids in. as well as have a neat little spot to hang out, but the real reason is that I am going to have to get dirt for a backstop from somewhere and if I am going to dig a hole for dirt, I might as well fill it in with water and raise some food in it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    In no way am I trying to burst your bubble because it's great you are working towards this, but 6 acres really is not enough land to produce half your own food for a family unless you are prepared to be extremely intensive in your production or are raising small stock where the feedsource is coming in from outside. Doing so is something that takes a lot of time and effort and coming from someone who has spent his entire life working towards self sufficiency, you can't work a regular job and do that level of food production at the same time.

I grew up reading The Mother Earth News, Backwoods Home, and all the related periodicals (even written a few articles over the years) but the common denominator among all of them is they gloss over just how much time, skill, and knowledge is necessary. I've watched dozens of people try to move to the country and become self sufficient and most of them gave up when they figured out just how much hard work it is.

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just giving you fair warning from someone who has been living it most of his life and still is only about 10% of the way there.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    In no way am I trying to burst your bubble because it's great you are working towards this, but 6 acres really is not enough land to produce half your own food for a family unless you are prepared to be extremely intensive in your production or are raising small stock where the feedsource is coming in from outside. Doing so is something that takes a lot of time and effort and coming from someone who has spent his entire life working towards self sufficiency, you can't work a regular job and do that level of food production at the same time.

I grew up reading The Mother Earth News, Backwoods Home, and all the related periodicals (even written a few articles over the years) but the common denominator among all of them is they gloss over just how much time, skill, and knowledge is necessary. I've watched dozens of people try to move to the country and become self sufficient and most of them gave up when they figured out just how much hard work it is.

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you, just giving you fair warning from someone who has been living it most of his life and still is only about 10% of the way there.

I am moving to the country because I grew up in the country, and living in a subdivision is not for me. I want to raise my family with the same work ethics I was raised with and where I am now is just not possible. The food production is a goal. What is the point of having a goal if its easily attainable? I am in no hurry, and have no real financial need to do this so if I don't make it that's find. I am not trying to be "off grid" or even self sustaining for that matter, just striving for as close to that as I can get while still living a comfortable lifestyle. I do appreciate your caution, but if I don't reach the stated goal I will not be terribly disappointed. I do look forward to all of the knowledge I will force myself to gain because of this endeavor.

I don't have a "normal" job either. I work 24 on, and 48 off. That gives LOTS of full days at home to get stuff done. It also might cause issues provided things that HAVE to be done on a daily basis must be done by either the rest of the family, or someone living close by, possibly as barter for some fresh produce.

I do not have dreams of being self sustaining, mostly dreams of having the knowledge needed that I could be if I had no other choice. I might grow some wheat learn how to thresh and minnow it the old way, grind it up, and make a few loaves of bread. By doing so I learn how to do it, gather the equipment needed to do it, and if I MUST, I can resort back to that. once I feel like I have a good grasp on it I will go back to buying wonder bread for 125 a loaf, but at least I have the ability and the knowledge to get that far.

to further complicate it, I don't really have 6 acres. I have 3 that are not wooded flood plain and poorly drained soil. and on that three 1 is set aside for yard space, house and septic. So I will have about 2 acres to really work with, unless I can figure out a way to get some food production out of the back 3.

Life is an adventure, and I am enjoying the ride.

Not to invite myself or anything, but I would love to come and check out what you have going on and take any tips or advice you would be willing to give. Trying to start from scratch will allow me to organize my space to be the most efficient and convenient, but w/out having done a lot of the stuff I want to do I will admit I am very ignorant on the layouts of things.

IGW, if you don't already have a copy, I'd suggest downloading a copy of "The Have More Plan". It was written back in the 40's and has tons of ideas for people like you who are wanting to get a little independent. It's a good read and well worth printing out. Chock full of how to's for the homesteader.

http://www.webpal.org/SAFE/aaarecovery/1_farm_recovery/ftpfiles/the_have_more_plan.pdf

I am about 2 chapters away from finishing The encyclopedia of country living. its almost 1k pages long and reads just like a text book, dry and boring but full of information. After I am done reading it I am sure it will make a great reference book. Ill check out the book you recommend though and see if its something I would be interested in.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I am moving to the country because I grew up in the country, and living in a subdivision is not for me. I want to raise my family with the same work ethics I was raised with and where I am now is just not possible. The food production is a goal. What is the point of having a goal if its easily attainable? I am in no hurry, and have no real financial need to do this so if I don't make it that's find. I am not trying to be "off grid" or even self sustaining for that matter, just striving for as close to that as I can get while still living a comfortable lifestyle. I do appreciate your caution, but if I don't reach the stated goal I will not be terribly disappointed. I do look forward to all of the knowledge I will force myself to gain because of this endeavor.

Well you are starting with the right attitude. Too many people are of the "all or nothing" mindset and it sets them up for failure.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am about 2 chapters away from finishing The encyclopedia of country living. its almost 1k pages long and reads just like a text book, dry and boring but full of information. After I am done reading it I am sure it will make a great reference book. Ill check out the book you recommend though and see if its something I would be interested in.
    It's a free download so you can download it and read it at your leisure.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Well you are starting with the right attitude. Too many people are of the "all or nothing" mindset and it sets them up for failure.

My wife is a VERY VERY good check valve to the all or nothing mindset I assure you. She is mostly on board to my goals as moral support, and her dedication once we are there are still to be determined. Either way, this is going to beat the 1/4 acre I currently live on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you can come up with a nice hybrid lifestyle between complete self-sufficiency and the everyday life you are currently living.

Going to can a couple cases of beets now, cause they have to be done. ;)

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    depends on the layout and how I decide to utilize the space. The first concerns are the garden, orchard, and perennial areas. Once I have decided where to put those I will need to choose a place for chickens (possibly rabbits) and the occasional set of turkeys. If there is room left over I would do goats, and HOPEFULLY, feed out a steer sell half and eat the other half. I had ruled out a pig, but after reading how much nasty scraps they can eat I am considering one of the dwarf breeds for nothing other than making sausage and having the ability to turn nasty scraps into meat instead of compost. I will also need to leave some space for a greenhouse, so I am not sure yet how the property is going to be laid out to allow what sort of animal, but chickens are a gimme.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Don't let anyone tell you that it is not enough land. Watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbODJiEM5A&list=TLvDlInul08Cg

I didn't say it wasn't enough land, I said it wasn't enough without a lot of intensive work. The folks in the video live in an area with year-round growing and three times the amount of available sunlight. They also bring in a lot of outside energy into their system. The video is typical of the pie-in-the-sky pieces like you see articles on in TMEN and the like.

As an example, IGW talks about raising a steer. If he is not going to buy feed then he's looking at pretty much being limited to one steer on his land. 12-18 months to market weight. As he stated, it's a goal he wants to work towards and that's awesome because it'll give him a better life that he wants for his family.

To be sure, ANY land you put under production for yourself is that much less you are relying on a system that is pretty broken right now, and I think everyone should provide at least some of their own food. I feel pretty good about us providing about a tenth of our own food. Point to all the videos you want about living off one acre, but until YOU have done it here and can provide me with a breakdown of what you do and how much time, energy, and money you have put into it, I remain skeptical because I sure as hell haven't been able to come close in almost 30 years of working towards that goal with a whole lot more land.

Yeah, I know I'm a wet blanket here, but the parade of people over the years who've told me exactly how I can live off my land whose sum total experience with doing so was raising a tomato plant on the balcony of their condo, but are just sure I could do it if I only had their wisdom (and money, you can do a lot when you can throw a lot of money at it!) leaves me a bit jaded when people tell me how easy it is.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was going to recommend the Encyclopedia of Country Living, but I see you already have that one. That book has a lot of common sense info and good tips. I have a copy that I refer to for recipes and tips fairly often.

Chickens will eat all sorts of scraps too...I always referred to mine as pigs with feathers. They do have a lot of natural predators though so strong fencing/pens is a must as coons, possums and other critters can wipe them out quickly otherwise.

Top Bottom