• ...and so much more!
  • RClark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hi
    in your footing questions. Watch the digging and the soil for the footing over digging can be costly. Rebar in footing not properly set. Check references and longevity on your contractors. Not all are bad. Good luck and best wishes on your new journey sounds like a good plan.

RClark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Sorry I didn't realize all that was there. Still new to this thread. Based on what I read. The contractor should be open with you on all accounts there is to much technology today. We all get busy at times and sometimes there are openings but communication is key. Good luck to you.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    For whatever it's worth on all the projects I have been involved in...a total of one and one now in progress. I try to appear every day the contractor is there, even though I have known him since we were kids. It gives me a chance to see his progress and keep him accountable because he never knows when I might pop in. I trust him but I am also paying the bill. It also is exciting to see the things materialize. It will all be worth it when it's done and you call it home! By the way that construction contractor standing in your picture appears a bit young by Union standards! He also looks to be slacking a little! Good living soon!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    that is a pretty awesome kitchen. I did not realize you could upgrade like this in a prefab style construction. Have the kids get some sort of "time capsule" in something before it gets covered if you can.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am not shy to talk about finances like a lot of people. I bargain shop, and will not pay a price if I do not think its a fair price. That being said, somethings I have overpaid for in life just to have it. My wife and I don't make GREAT money, but we do pretty well for ourselves with a dual income house. For what we have spent we could have bought a pretty nice place already build in pretty nice land.... BUT, we decided to spend a bit more, and get a bit less going this route, but that allows us to get a lot closer to what works for how we run our family and live our lives. SO, the cost breakdown is as follows.

Land 42,000 for 6 acre's 3 of which are wooded and has a substantial creek on the property that runs year round, and we can even catch rockbass, smallmouth, and crayfish out of. But that makes the woods a floodplain as well so we can't "develop" anywhere in the woods, but neither can a builder so what we have now is what we will always have.

Barn less than 9k for a 24x32 with concrete floor/apron/back patio. Uninsulated, but between the barn, and the substantial downpayment we put down on the land we were able to finance the house w/ about 2k out of pocket.

House 125 for the house and foundation. We added 34,000 in upgrades including the kitchen, second story walk up attic (which can be converted easily to living space) 2 6ft dormers, one 28 foot dormer all functional not cosmetic. added a well and septic, upgraded the insulation. and lots of upgrades inside like solid harwood doors and trim, stainless apliances, tile backsplash, gas cooktop, soft close cabinets and drawers. clay package, and 9/12 roof. If you think its been impressive so far then you will be floored when I post some of the photo's after we finish with some of the stuff we already have currently in the works.

this house even though is a "modular" is constructed with much higher quality than you will find in about any subdivision, and is only one step under a full blown custom.

the downfalls to modular is limited floor plans, and typically smaller spaces for bedrooms and living rooms. We are a pretty tight old school family so the kids don't get queen size beds, or their own TV areas which makes the modular route perfect for a family that spends most of its time together.

In the end I don't know if we got the best deal going, and have thrown a lot of money at it that we have been saving for YEARS, but its ours... and something can really be said for building what you want from scratch instead of taking over somebody else's place.

I appreciate all the comments, this is a huge step for my family and its nice to share it with the community because I am sure my adventures are helping other people who are considering going the same route. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I would be more than happy to help.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Couple more of the better photo's from yesterday. A few of the kitchen, a few of the "walk up attic" that we can eventually finish off to be livable space. A few of the set. Here is one that shows how closely the barn and the house colors will match.

Moving the first half to the foundation

Raising the roof on the first set half.. its a 9/12 pitch

Securing the knee wall that holds that half up

There is an issue with the tile we though we ordered here by the range hood. We have to go back and look at the contract to see if it made it in there and we paid for it, but the tile is supposed to be full mosaic tile behind the rangehood all the way to the ceiling. It was a last minute change though... Either way it looks really nice, and will be great to cook with gas under good lighting, and without a microhood 20 inch's above the cook top.

Convection oven/microwave on top, electric range on bottom. No more bending over to get into the oven... This will allow the pots and pans to be stored in drawers under the cooktop where they will be close to the spot where they are used. The inside of this microwave is a tad smaller than what we are used to, but I don't anticipate that being an issue.

a better lit view of the kitchen... The original island was MUCH larger, but we downsized it because we felt this was all the surface we really needed, and would rather have more space around the island. It will also make replacing countertops with solid surface way in the future cheaper. I think the original island was 44x80something, and this one is 36x72

Full stone fireplace. We will be putting a much larger mantle on it, and probably adding a better insert. the ones that come with these modular just don't crank out the heat and are more cosmetic than functional... we would like one that we can use to actually overtake the furnace if needed. There are two air returns in the space off the fireplace so if it can put the heat out, it will get circulated. Upgrading the insert was not an option. (one of the drawbacks to modular)

42 inch wide stairwell with a 36 inch wide door off the main living area should make this feel less like an attic, and more like a second floor.

Adding the rest of the roof peak... These will be the full length ridge vent, as well as a lot of structural stability to the roof system.

The "attic" this window opening will be framed in because that's where the peak of the roof for the garage will go, and I don't want to have to worry about doing it later.

The other side of the upstairs

All said and done the upstairs will be about 15ish feet wide and 68 feet long. There will be one 28 foot section of that which will be about 22 feet wide, that's where the 28 foot walk out dormer will be built. It will also have two 6 foot dormers on either side of that, both functional.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't know if we will be in a position for afford a 1k dollar replacement insert for quite some time. Like probably next year at the earliest, and even then three decks, property fencing, and a garage are going to be our top priorities, so it might even be a few years until we get around to replacing it. I don't even know what something like that is worth.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Very nice IGW. I look at the pics of your new home and land like a prisoner watching another as they walk out of prison. Oh how nice it would be to get out of Marion County.....

Congrats!

Top Bottom