Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pray that they fail to pass anything. Then IL reverts to constitutional carry. :)

WRONG!

If they revert to 'Constitutional carry' without any other laws then it would allow EACH city to pass its own carry law restrictions (think of May Issue, Gun Free Zones, etc) and all of that would be legal for cities to limit since the state does not have preemption and does have home rule!!!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    WRONG!

If they revert to 'Constitutional carry' without any other laws then it would allow EACH city to pass its own carry law restrictions (think of May Issue, Gun Free Zones, etc) and all of that would be legal for cities to limit since the state does not have preemption and does have home rule!!!
    THIS^^^^^ Times 10000

People complain about a patchwork of laws going state to state...Imagine it town to town/county to county!!!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    With Chicago being in Illinois I really do not expect any law to pass that will be state-wide preemption. I could see them writing an exception in for Chicago and letting it pass but not state-wide 100%.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    In all seriousness, even if they allow firearm carry in IL...I'm willing to bet LEO's in IL will harass everybody into not carrying.

I work construction in Chicago and deal with the LEO's there almost daily, everyone I've talked to in the last week or so is all for people carrying guns.
    Heck last year I had one advise me to carry then because of the area we were working in.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    WRONG!

That can only go so far. Remember the appelate court ruled that denying the right to carry violated the state and federal constitutions. It order the state to come up with a law to allow citizens to carry. If any town or county goes so far as to deny the right to carry outside the home or business they are in violation of the court order.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ill. Senate plans modified gun-carry legislation - Wandtv.com, NewsCenter17, StormCenter17, Central Illinois News-

here is a news article that talks about the senate mods.

1) it removes the per-emption that the House bill passed.
    2) it changes to carry is banned in any business that serves alcohol (house bill says revenue has to be over 50% from alcohol sales)

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    My faith in the universe is restored and the control that S***cago has appears to be back at work.

WRONG!

Let them continue to squabble and procrastinate. If they pass nothing, all's the better.

See the text by melensdad. By them going "green" it will be a mess.

That can only go so far. Remember the appelate court ruled that denying the right to carry violated the state and federal constitutions. It order the state to come up with a law to allow citizens to carry. If any town or county goes so far as to deny the right to carry outside the home or business they are in violation of the court order.

:scratch: So how would this work?
    Lets say IL goes GREEN and Chicago keeps its current ban on weapons.
    Then say IL resident John Doe gets arrested in Chicago for CC.
    Now what?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    My faith in the universe is restored and the control that S***cago has appears to be back at work.

See the text by melensdad. By them going "green" it will be a mess.

Now what?
    Chicago is not going to keep its ban, it is going to go MAY issue. The cronies of the mayor and police chief get to carry, anyone else will have to know who to bribe and be in good political standing with the machine to be able to.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Ill. Senate plans modified gun-carry legislation - Wandtv.com, NewsCenter17, StormCenter17, Central Illinois News-

here is a news article that talks about the senate mods.

1) it removes the per-emption that the House bill passed.
    2) it changes to carry is banned in any business that serves alcohol (house bill says revenue has to be over 50% from alcohol sales)

My understanding is that it doesn't completely kill preemption, it just restricts preemption only to where you can carry. This would all Chicago to keep their AWB but not be able to add any extra GFZ's. The IL Senate Prez is still selling this as a bill with preemption.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    By the time its done it will be very weak. Chicago runs (ruins) the state. Watch and see. Don't be so sure carry after not meeting the June 9 date will be a reality either. These people are in the business of controlling the public and are very good at it. They are not interested in any type of freedom for the public. Look for a last minute maneuver that blows it all out of the water.
    Any type of legal carry in Cook County ain't about to happen. Business as usual for the Prarrie State of Chicago....er I mean Illinois.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Chicago is not going to keep its ban, it is going to go MAY issue. The cronies of the mayor and police chief get to carry, anyone else will have to know who to bribe and be in good political standing with the machine to be able to.

This is the way MI was for years. You contributed enough to the Sheriffs election campaign and you got an "unrestricted" permit from the gun board.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    jedi said:
    Now what?

Based on what passed, Chicago gets to keep its Assault Weapon Ban, BUT does not get to restrict magazine capacity so if you are carrying under an Illinois Carry Permit then you can carry your Glock 17 with a 33 round magazine if you choose to do so in the city of Chicago.

This is a SHALL ISSUE law, not a MAY ISSUE law so if you qualify then you will get the license.

There is a fairly long list of GUN FREE ZONES which includes sports stadiums, schools, hospitals, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, places that serve booze (and make 50.1% of their income from booze), etc.

On the bright side, your car is considered a safe haven and you can legally store your gun in your vehicle in most circumstances and not be subjected to search/seizure.

16 Hour training requirement . . . but I believe its only 8 hours for ex-military.

Its not ideal, but its better than I expected.

So downstate IL resident John Doe is not going to get arrested for CC in Chicago as long as he is not in a GFZ.

NO RECIPROCITY . . . but Hoosiers can buy an OUT OF STATE Illinois Carry Permit, renewable every 5 years.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Based on what passed, Chicago gets to keep its Assault Weapon Ban, BUT does not get to restrict magazine capacity so if you are carrying under an Illinois Carry Permit then you can carry your Glock 17 with a 33 round magazine if you choose to do so in the city of Chicago.

This is a SHALL ISSUE law, not a MAY ISSUE law so if you qualify then you will get the license.

There is a fairly long list of GUN FREE ZONES which includes sports stadiums, schools, hospitals, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, places that serve booze (and make 50.1% of their income from booze), etc.

On the bright side, your car is considered a safe haven and you can legally store your gun in your vehicle in most circumstances and not be subjected to search/seizure.

16 Hour training requirement . . . but I believe its only 8 hours for ex-military.

Its not ideal, but its better than I expected.

So downstate IL resident John Doe is not going to get arrested for CC in Chicago as long as he is not in a GFZ.

NO RECIPROCITY . . . but Hoosiers can buy an OUT OF STATE Illinois Carry Permit, renewable every 5 years.

Did you see the part where you can carry in a car with a LTCH?
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    6 transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    7 Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    8 vehicle and the non-resident:
    9 (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    10 firearm under federal law;
    11 (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    12 laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    13 (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    14 If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    15 he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    16 locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    17 subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Top Bottom