Illegal to play live music in Indiana without a permit from IN Homeland Security

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    So, why the sudden quiet over the nonsense the OP posted in this thread after the snopes citation?

What was the result of the admin hearing? Is there civil litigation over this?

Sure did get quiet about snopes was dropped.

'Cause it was really nothing to get excited about in the first place. Most of the conversation/debate was based on hearsay. From my experience in the music scene, there are basically three different music licensing groups. SESAC from Canada and BMI and NASCAP from here in the states. BMI is free to musicians, but good luck in seeing any royalties if your music is played on radio or TV. NASCAP is a pay service which all the big names are associated with. The big names are signed by big labels who like to make sure every cent possible is funneled to them. That in mind, most bars have to pay their dues to NASCAP due to all the cover bands playing the music of popular bands. The bars usually have a sticker they put in the window to show their affiliation.

This all might have to do with the above.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm taking a break from the music scene right now but have many friends in many bands that I haven't heard one single mention of this.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm taking a break from the music scene right now but have many friends in many bands that I haven't heard one single mention of this.

The people you need to talk to are business owners who support those bands. Ask them if they paid Homeland Security for the privilege.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    The people you need to talk to are business owners who support those bands. Ask them if they paid Homeland Security for the privilege.

Like I said, not one mention. If you've played stages as long as I have, you come to know the owners, whether they like you or not and how things generally work. Of course there may be more than one license or permit or fee you have to consider when operating an entertainment venue. I just think something else is at work here that got the venue in trouble by its own doing. I've seen venues come and go over the years for various reasons whether it be not up to fire code, zoning, neighborhood complaints, not paying the bills, etc.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    As an individual, you have autonomous rights. When you go into business and your clientele is expected to come to your place of establishment to pay for the product they've come to see, there is an expectation of safety from your clients. You no longer have autonomy. In order to establish that your business is safe for the client, professionals must be paid for their services to make that determination and certify your business.

There's nothing NWO about this. The guy is trying to skimp on providing a safe environment to the musicians and the fans.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Yeah, count me right along with those crazy fools who support a law that prevents my neighbor from being allowed to collect barrels of radioactive waste in his yard.

A "law" can not stop someone from doing anything. How can a "law" prevent anything? Individuals prevent or start things. But but this code or law says you must obey cant you read.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    As an individual, you have autonomous rights. When you go into business and your clientele is expected to come to your place of establishment to pay for the product they've come to see, there is an expectation of safety from your clients. You no longer have autonomy. In order to establish that your business is safe for the client, professionals must be paid for their services to make that determination and certify your business.

There's nothing NWO about this. The guy is trying to skimp on providing a safe environment to the musicians and the fans.

How in the world did you get anything done today in a safe manner with out a professionals help?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    How in the world did you get anything done today in a safe manner with out a professionals help?

Gee, I'll play...

wow, I just don't know how I could have survived without the help of professionals. I woke up to my iPhone alarm, which I made in my own basement, drove my kids to school in the car I pieced together in the garage by myself. Then I went to lunch at a self serve restaurant. Then I decided to head out to the dealership to sit on some new motorcycles that were magically put together by elves.

Nope, no professionals did I see.

Im just a messenger of common sense. I didn't make the rules, I just pointed things out. So why so testy with me? :wallbash:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Gee, I'll play...

wow, I just don't know how I could have survived without the help of professionals. I woke up to my iPhone alarm, which I made in my own basement, drove my kids to school in the car I pieced together in the garage by myself. Then I went to lunch at a self serve restaurant. Then I decided to head out to the dealership to sit on some new motorcycles that were magically put together by elves.

Nope, no professionals did I see.

Im just a messenger of common sense. I didn't make the rules, I just pointed things out. So why so testy with me? :wallbash:

The difference here is, of course, that in none of the examples you posted were you required by the government to make use of those professionals' services. You did it merely by free choice.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    The difference here is, of course, that in none of the examples you posted were you required by the government to make use of those professionals' services. You did it merely by free choice.

Once again, another stab at the extraneous and not the man at the core of this "issue". It's such a common tactic. A person feels wronged on an individual matter. They then scream and shout about how their matter affects everyone around them and how everyone else MUST take issue along with them to then justify their own course of action.

A perfect example would be a recent nationalized case stating racism as the basis for the "crime" which biased the nation (including the president) before the case even went to court.

Now, if you think I'm some .gov apologist, you have NO IDEA. You just can't jump onto the coat tails of every guy claiming his constitutional rights are being raped. Now, if you want to further pick apart my words so as to some how prove the claims of the venue owner, have fun...have the last word...I don't care.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom