• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IIRC it was the womens libbers who started this nonsense decades ago. The thinking was that they didn't want to give up their identity. Back then I thought it was stupid, now I just don't care.

PS: My boxer was schoerner graf Franz aus Nord. A German lady I worked with got a laugh out of it when I told her. Not quite a hyphen, but he was a dog blue blood, so.

It goes back quite a bit farther than that. In Britain it was originally common among the peerage and had to do with retaining claim to family titles and properties. Something similar was common in other parts of old Europe but quite often with the proliferation of names but w/o the hyphenation

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;sIaxSxEqKtA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaxSxEqKtA[/video]

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    IIRC it was the womens-libbers who started this nonsense decades ago. The thinking was that they didn't want to give up their identity. Back then I thought it was stupid, now I just don't care.

PS: My boxer was schoerner-graf-Franz-aus-Nord. A German lady I worked with got a laugh out of it when I told her. Not quite a hyphen, but he was a dog blue-blood, so.

FIFY

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And then there's stealth hyper-hyphenated people, with dual citizenship and unavoidably divided loyalties.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I work with a woman from Trinidad. She finds it offensive to be called African.

She would prefer that I call her Christine.
    When I read a news story,I almost always replace the descriptive offering of the author with "a person". There are some that will write a news story from that perspective. I have more respect for that journalist because that shifts the focus of the story from racial to factual(who,what,when and how) After all, it's a person that does something. Just a person.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    A friend of mine is a true African-American. Born in Africa, emigrated legally to the USA. Looks like and talks just like Gary Player. He wants reparations too!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Are people really concerned about hyphenated Americans when there are dual citizenship people in the upper reaches of our government?

Top Bottom