• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Can anyone tell me how I can find one of those rescue people who works with certain breeds of dogs? I have always been fond of Boxers and would like to adopt if possible. Understanding these dogs are usually full-grown, would this be a good idea or would it be better to find a puppy?

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    This would be a great idea. Go to dogbreedinfo.com and look up boxers. They should have multiple links to rescues. Be prepared to pay $300 minimum and possibly have to drive a couple states to get the dog but rescues are the way to go. Good luck, you've picked a great breed.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Many of the rescue sites for each breed Will give you a resume how haw the animal acts in different situations. They want you to succeed! They will work hard to find a match for you. +1 for wanting to save a rescue!!!

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I know a few people who have rescued boxers. They both couldn't be happier. Both dogs were VERY skiddish around ANY person, but have both more than warmed up to their owners and would do anything for them now. Good luck on finding a new best friend.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Any desire for a Pit?

He's right around 1yo and he's a sweetheart, but the owner is changing apartments and can't have a big dog.

IMG_0406.png

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Good luck Que! The few boxers I've known were all very intelligent and loving dogs. The link to Central Indiana Boxer Rescue should be a step in the right direction.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Can anyone tell me how I can find one of those rescue people who works with certain breeds of dogs? I have always been fond of Boxers and would like to adopt if possible. Understanding these dogs are usually full-grown, would this be a good idea or would it be better to find a puppy?
    I saw an ad in a store window last nite about a female boxer. I'll get the info tonite, Thurs, and shoot u a PM

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My father has 2 boxers... had them since puppies so there isn't any surprise history there, but they are just great dogs. Very loving and fun to be around.

Good luck finding yours!

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    I got my boxer from Central Indiana boxer rescue. Someone has already posted a link to them. He was $200 dollars and had all shots, neutered and microchipped. They did a home visit first. Of course this was 10 years ago.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    +1 for going the Rescue route! I've never had a dog that wasn't either from a shelter or from someone who couldn't care for them any more.

(Not sure why you're choosing boxers though, they tend to bunch up and bind. I'd go with boxer/briefs if I were you. :):)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Boxers are great dogs. They can be stubborn, but they are great family pets. Central Indiana Boxer Rescue would be my first stop. Make sure to check for possible hip problems in a dog you want to adopt.
    Good luck! Post pics when you get one. :)

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Boxers are wonderful dogs, very protective of the family they are in. Also, be aware of a few "issues" with boxers.... They are people dogs; if you don't want a dog following you through the house and curling up at your feet, then you don't want a boxer. The other big thing with them is they are very prone to having their stomachs "twist". You don't want that to happen, try to keep their eating slow, and make sure you have an elevated feeding station.

I had my boxer for 8 years... his stomach twisted and cost me over $1500 to get him fixed up... sadly he suddenly passed 2 years later.

Boxers are great with children, good with other pets... they like to play, and when I say they like to play, I mean it! They are also very intelligent dogs, and as others have said they are stubborn!

Good luck on your boxer endeavor, they are a great investment!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I also think getting an older dog is a better idea than getting a puppy.

There are so many unknowns with a puppy.

When you get an older dog, you know exactly what you're getting.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    While I love boxers, after mine died, I decided against getting another. He had big time seperation anxiety. Was OK with small dogs, but would go nuts in the presence of bigger dogs, he once broke his line to attack a huskie. Great with kids, needs lots of exercise and can be stubborn. They want to be boss, it was an ongoing power struggle. He was a good companion, but I had to put him down just before his tenth birthday as he was in sucgh pain (arthritis) he could barely move. The vet coouldn't help. They also tend to get ane eye problem that costs several hundred dollars to correct. PM me if you want more.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I'm a mutt girl myself, but besides the boxer rescue you can also check with Treasured Friends and/or I Wanna Go Home. Both are rescues who's dogs live in foster homes until adoption. The dogs are usually well socialized, have some basic house training (my Tazzy has never had an accident since day one), and live with people. They tend to have a very good idea of the dogs abilities, temperament, etc.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Que I still have 6 puppies that REALLY need a good home pm if interested. Although I have to warn you they are devoted, loyal, protective, loving babies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom