• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you pay attention to a lot of hunting dogs you will notice they have floppy ears. It gives them some protection from loud noises. Coincidence? Maybe...maybe not.

lol, that trait is bred into hunting dogs so they can't trap scent easier while on a trail. Hearing protecting is just a nice side effect. :D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My parents use the furminator on their GSD everyday. And the shedding still sucks.

I only use the furminator once a month. I can every 2 months, but it's nice to get that tiny bit off my Rotty.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    There is a very good program that is training companion dogs out at Plainfield Correctional Facility. I know quite a few of the Offenders that train them, it's their job inside. I have seen some of these dogs first hand and they are wonderful. You could probably contact them for a lead Que. If you don't get anywhere, let me know and I will see what I can do.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yes, the shedding SUCKS, but if you have a furminator and 5 minutes every few days, it's not that bad.

GSDs are probably the only breed I'll ever own. They are just too smart and loyal(and intimidating to burglars) for me to get anything else.

Pits can be too when your a delivery driver and you fail to pull in the drive and think your just going to walk up to my house off the street.... ask the fed ex guy that had to change his undies after he left my house tuesday. I told him they were upset about the cheap vegetarian milk bone he threw them. Ha seriously though they are big sweet hearts if I am around just ask CWood.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Pits can be too when your a delivery driver and you fail to pull in the drive and think your just going to walk up to my house off the street.... ask the fed ex guy that had to change his undies after he left my house tuesday. I told him they were upset about the cheap vegetarian milk bone he threw them. Ha seriously though they are big sweet hearts if I am around just ask CWood.

I'll probably own a Pit one day, but since there are so many that get abandoned, I'd like to go the rescue route...Since I have a 6 year old that likes performing wrestling moves on our dog, I want him to be older and more mature before I get anything but a puppy.

I know exactly what my dog is capable of, but wouldn't have any idea what an adult Pit(or ANY dog for that matter) is capable of, since I didn't raise it myself.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I'll probably own a Pit one day, but since there are so many that get abandoned, I'd like to go the rescue route...Since I have a 6 year old that likes performing wrestling moves on our dog, I want him to be older and more mature before I get anything but a puppy.

I know exactly what my dog is capable of, but wouldn't have any idea what an adult Pit(or ANY dog for that matter) is capable of, since I didn't raise it myself.

I know whatcha mean my good man, it is just too bad you aren't ready for one now I have it on pretty good authority there is a guy with 6 puppies looking for a good home.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There is an animal rescue place the operates out of Washington Square on the weekends. Two weeks ago, they had a nice adolesent Boxer, and a nice Black Lab with a healing broken leg. Would have taken the lab home if I already did not have two cats and one dog. And BTW IMHO ADHD = teachers don't want to deal with and active kid, Doctors have been sold a bill of goods by the Drug makers, Moms just want to protect and "mother their kids'. Teachers wanted two of my grandsons on ADHD meds (did not see and MD after their names) My son refused to do so, and is now home schooling. Every thing is fine. They probably would have diagnosed me ADHD when I was a kid if I was in school now. My Problem was School just bored me to death! Now I don't have an MD either...just my :twocents:. Good luck on everything

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Que you won't go wrong by choosing a Boxer. I have two of them one a rescue and one we got as a puppy. I have never had a Boxer before but I can tell you they are by far the best breed of dog I have ever had. They are very loyal and protective, especially child protective. They are energetic dogs, they will play as long as they have someone or something to play with, but they will make up for it when they rest. After a full day of playing they usually take the next day to rest. I would suggest getting a puppy so your son could focus his energy on training and bonding with the dog. Whatever dog you ever end up choosing I'm sure you will not be disappointed, but my vote is still for the Boxer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes, the shedding SUCKS, but if you have a furminator and 5 minutes every few days, it's not that bad.

GSDs are probably the only breed I'll ever own. They are just too smart and loyal (and intimidating to burglars) for me to get anything else.

Yeah, but sometimes that makes for good entertainment when you live on a main road and everybody thinks you're an easy stop for whatever it is they're selling.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    +1 for going with a rescue dog

+1 to you for considering what most people will not. Tons of great dogs end up in rescues unfairly. Please study up on the needs of which ever breed you choose (I do love Boxers as well). Temperments, health issues, actual needs, are different for each breed (I'm sure you already know these things, but as a responsible dog owner I feel that it's my job to at least mention it). We've been through 6 different training classes with our pup, and each one was worth it. It'll be a part of your family, as it should be.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I got a beagle from the Handcock Co. shelter and wouldn't hesitate to get a shelter dog again. I was looking for a beagle and went to petfinder.com and entered the perameters I wanted. And now my little girl is right next to me asleep on the couch. On petfinder you can choose the option of "already HOUSEBROKEN". Good call.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Alot of good suggestions!
    The only thing I could add is, don't forget the mutts! They need love to!
    Also, it might be better if your boy has a chance to go with you since your basically getting it for him. Whatching a kid bond with a random dog at the shelter is very neat thing to see!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Alright, I talked to my wife about the dog and she didn't say no, so you men know what that means... Anyway, for those of you who aren't married, it means, "No, I don't agree, but I won't say no, but if this doesn't work out, remember that it was your idea and I had nothing to do with it and I will take that particular opportunity to remind you that I was the one who said it would not work, but no, I won't tell you that at that particular point in time, but I will most definitely remember to remind you about this utter failure at the most inopportune time; one that will make you feel about the size of a bump on a gnats' butt, but go ahead and do it and I wish you well on your latest move that I don't necessarily agree with."

So, I will be taking my son to visit some dogs at our earliest convenience and hopefully everything will work out.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Alright, I talked to my wife about the dog and she didn't say no, so you men know what that means... Anyway, for those of you who aren't married, it means, "No, I don't agree, but I won't say no, but if this doesn't work out, remember that it was your idea and I had nothing to do with it and I will take that particular opportunity to remind you that I was the one who said it would not work, but no, I won't tell you that at that particular point in time, but I will most definitely remember to remind you about this utter failure at the most inopportune time; one that will make you feel about the size of a bump on a gnats' butt, but go ahead and do it and I wish you well on your latest move that I don't necessarily agree with."

So, I will be taking my son to visit some dogs at our earliest convenience and hopefully everything will work out.

1. :rofl:

2. YOU are the one responsible for the failure and you know it, so do absolutely everything in your power to get your new dog where it needs to be...Exercise, training, exercise, training. Rinse and repeat.

If you get the right dog, your wife will be putty in its paws, so WHEN you prevail, you can throw it back in her face.:D

IMHO, you should look for a puppy(1-1/2yo dogs are still puppies)...ADHD kids really like to rough house and you never know how an adult dog may respond.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I highly recommend Labs or Lab mixes. Smart, easy to train, great with kids, loving, protective, they are the best IMHO..

If you find one with a face like this, you won't be able to resist.. :D
    260324_10150284956268453_560318452_9106487_7620438_n.jpg

Top Bottom