I'm sure this has been beat to death, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My wife & I are expecting our first child this summer. Since we have started trying to get pregnant I have found myself evolving more into a protective minded kind of guy. Had a security system installed with a 48hr battery backup and cell phone transmitter for when I'm away, and have a kimber custom II tucked away for when I am home.... I'm not a small guy 6'1" 205lbs. I pruchased a small of the back IWB holster for it, but it is obvious and attention drawing.

Which leads me to where I am now. I don't know all that much about small arms, and am looking for a new carry side arm. Normally I don't mind saving and dropping a nice wad of cash, but with current status of economy and my wife I need to be more budget minded, lol...

I don't need a .45ACP like my kimber, but wanting something with more stopping power than a .22. Also would need to be small enough that I could use a pocket/IWB holster without being burdensome or obvious... I'm open to all suggestions... Looking in the $200-$300 new range

Thanks,
    R

I am not one to usually say something like this, but, going by the reasons you have stated, I don't think you need another gun. I think your problem is in the way you are carrying it. I started out preferring SOB carry (offset from my spine), but I quickly realized that it is more difficult to conceal. After playing with different ways of carry, I have found that 8:30 conceals better (I'm left-handed). SOB has a tendency of snagging your shirt whenever you move, and you end up spending all day tugging at your shirt. If you carry on your side, your shirt tends to conceal better because your shoulders are wider than your waist. There are exceptions to this rule, but, considering your height and weight, I imagine you aren't an exception.

I would suggest you look at a different holster. I carry in a Crossbreed - there are scads of other good holsters. Try this - unload your gun, tuck it in your pants with the butt forward of the muzzle (about 15 degrees) and let it ride relatively low. See if this lets you conceal better. I suggest unload considering it's a SA. If it does, try to find a better holster that will suit your needs. If not, move it until you are comfortable and then find a new holster.

FWIW - I have carried a full-size USP many times and still managed to conceal it well.

smileytrucker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Modoc IN
    I know that some may argue this but I have had good luck with my HI Point 9mm and its size is just right for CC. I have seen them priced around $160 but recently I saw that Impact Guns of UT had them for $103. Even with shipping and FFL transfer you would be at $140 (give or take). The only issue you may have was an issue I had to get used to also.. that is that at your size Im sure your hands are not small. The feel of the Hi point 9mm isnt bad but did take a little time to get used to. Anyway with the new baby comming and all the cost behind it, I really dont think you could go wrong with the HI Point. They come with a lifetime gnty and honestly mine shot better than my buddies Glock.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    There is a reason small of the back holsters are commonly called SOB's.... Uncomfortable, very difficult to retain in a grab situation, etc.

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP every day in an IWB holster, and I can cover it with a T-shirt (I'm 6-6 about 230#).

Look at Rafter S Gunleather or for the Cadillac of IWB's, Milt Sparks VMII.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I highly reccomend a .38 snuby. There are many great brands, and models to choose from. They will fit easily in your pocket, and with some quality hollow points you are ready to rock. :)

Top Bottom