I'm thinking of clearing out the gun safes a bit, again. Anyone else do this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I find myself wanting to get some new guns, but I have no idea what to get. I have every role filled with my current collection, so it's difficult for me to consider new guns when I think "Well that's kind of redundant since I already have XXX gun." I might even have 2 or 3 guns that all fill the same role already.

This happens every few years, and my usual solution is to sell off some stuff, then it's easier for me to figure out what my next gun experience will be. I'm not the type that says "Never sell a gun", as I have only 2 that have family attachments, and I have no sentimental attachment to the rest.

Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again. :abused:

Anyone else do this?

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    This sounds like the situation I’m finding myself in right now. Just listed 5 for sale only to find others I want more. :)

I expect in a year or two I’ll have at least couple back.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm considering it. I've sold some in the past and sort of wished I did not.

But I'm not sure.

I get some that I shoot lots and like.

I get a few that I try to shoot but don't like for whatever reason - but I think I can change a grip or sight or something that will make me want to keep it.

Then there are a few that I've bought that I've never even shot. And I don't know why I haven't shot them. Still sorting out the others, I guess.

I'd like to lighten the load. I don't need any of these...

...but I definitely need these.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    The silly fun guns I want to buy back are now ridiculously priced compared to when I bought them. TEC-9, HK4 with 3 barrels, stuff like that.

I enjoy owning and trying new guns, and seeing if they're a good fit for me.

I'm going to try to not sell ammo and optics, though, because it's funny how I find myself needing to buy those things again when I get a new gun.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I find myself wanting to get some new guns, but I have no idea what to get. I have every role filled with my current collection, so it's difficult for me to consider new guns when I think "Well that's kind of redundant since I already have XXX gun." I might even have 2 or 3 guns that all fill the same role already.

This happens every few years, and my usual solution is to sell off some stuff, then it's easier for me to figure out what my next gun experience will be. I'm not the type that says "Never sell a gun", as I have only 2 that have family attachments, and I have no sentimental attachment to the rest.

Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again. :abused:

Anyone else do this?
    I'm about ready too myself. Thinking of selling off the low capacity 9mm and 45s, that aren't a 1911 configuration in my collection, except for maybe 1 pocket gun

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve got many WWII rifles that if I sell off I could never replace again at the ever escalating prices. Same goes for vintage Smiths that I currently have in the safe. It’s always a quandary about what to sell with everything else and what we hold off buying. It’s a constant mind game affliction.:runaway:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I do this on occasion. When I can, I try to sell or trade guns I find that I rarely shoot. The guns are always fine, often great guns, I just don't shoot them much. Yesterday I traded a Canik TP9SF Elite that was becoming a safe queen for a Sig P322 that I'd been wanting. Just worked out and I didn't increase the number of guns I own. I'm trying to keep the number down to what can easily fit in the safe.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Been down that road a few times. Wifey needed a work car, during covid, and cash was tight. My LGS was sold out of most of his inventory, ammo gone, and he would deal if you had some trades or outright sales,

I emptied the gun safe of the Safe Queens, all cleaned, and made enough to buy Wifey a clean used ride. I didn't expect 70% trade value, but did get decent price. Even brought home an older 357mag revolver with a 6in bbl, currently stored as a house gun.

I have noticed that gun sales are in a bit of a glut right now, getting closer to Elections Days may spur demand. Most ammo is available too, best to stock a little bit even with prices being higher.
    Welcome to Brandon Finances! Gas prices up too, you name it. We are taking a hit on all sides.
    Good luck.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Anyone else do this?
    I've only been doing the hobby for 6 yrs (after a fling in my 20s & early 30s), but I'm getting to the same place about "every role filled with current..."

In retirement, the days of 2-300 round range sessions with larger calibers are dead to me now. :spend:
    Thank you Covid & ruling political party for economy going & headed "to-hell-in-a-handbasket."
    I have kept two CZs (pics below) & a SW 38 DAO revolver (w/sentimental value), that I can't let go of yet.

I identify with your statement: "Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again."
    Literally, a half-dozen of some guns. :dunno:
    I enjoy, "the hunt." :coffee:
    It would be accurate to say, I simply "rent" (most) guns.

That said, even though I've been AGAIN trying to trim the safe, I have a weakness for those "special somethings" that come along & this has been a stellar month for such. :ingo:
    That includes three .22LRs that are more accurate than anything else I've previously owned. :wow:
    Keepers. :rockwoot:
    I am selling 4 guns when I get back from vacation b/c the safe is simply out of money. :lmfao:
    I had to do a quick 9mm ammo buy yesterday & had to take $100 from the "vacation" money.
    The wife doesn't know yet, haha!
    There might not be a 50th wedding Anniversary. :lol2:
    Taking a couple of Browning Buckmarks to the range today to a final decision for a parting goodbye to one of them. :crying:
    Or not. :wallbash:

CZ Rami bought here all "liquored up" by the Wizard from the previous owner. :ingo:
    Rami pic.jpg
    Range 02.25.2022 CZ Rami 21ft & 3.75in circles.jpg

CZ Rami bought here that I had the Wizard upgrade mechanically & Allen Cerakoted Tungsten Grey. :rockwoot:
    pic of Shadow 2 with Tungsten Cerakote finish.jpg
    Range 5.27.2020 Shadow 2 21ft.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I tend to change directions a bit over a period of years, having switched from 357, to 45, to 40, to 9mm, then from Glock to S&W, to Sig. Mind you this is over a period of decades. Switching to some extent toward optic cut guns in some cases now, etc. With that comes some turnover, especially as I tend to have more than one of any particular gun at a given time.

I don't generally just swap or sell to buy an odd duck or do so on a whim, but rather as a part of a platform change.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not a "can't own a gun unless it fills a specific role" kind of guy. I just don't have a lot of space to store guns, hate to clean guns and have a limited budget. If it weren't for those factors I would own two of everything possible... :):

I love to shoot different guns. What I train with and shoot the most is my carry gun and backup gun. I'm confident with those weapons, however, I also shoot other guns and don't think there's an issue doing so. I like being comfortable and confident with a wide range of firearms. I'm lucky that I know plenty of people with a lot more guns than myself and can meet up with them to shoot a different guns pretty often.

Not trying to say you're wrong if you do things differently, just explaining my situation. Everyone is different when it comes to firearms and I'm okay with that.

Top Bottom