I'm thinking of clearing out the gun safes a bit, again. Anyone else do this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It feels like guns are down right now, so unless it is something special, you aren’t going to get much for them right now. At least That seems to be the case for ARs and plastic handguns.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Been thinking of doing some house cleaning myself. Got several that haven't seen the light of day in a long, long time. Might as well sell them to somebody who will use them. Even thinning out the C&R horde isn't out of the question. Haven't actively looked for anything in a couple of years, and maintaing them is turning into more of a chore than enjoyment. Don't shoot enough to justify having a mountain of ammo, got way more than I'll shoot so that is on the chopping block also. Plus I'm getting older and don't really have anybody to pass them on to when the time comes.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Been trying to clear some things out also...put a few on the sale board here and so far nothing...not sure if it's my offerings or the market in general....guess I just wait and see....

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    ^^^^^^^
    I've notice that by watching some prices on an auction site. Seems in the summer people are out shooting or doing other
    things but when hunting season and the winter snows come they are perusing the gun shelves.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I occasionally clean out the safes. Usually this is in the pursuit of quality over quantity. Last year I got rid of 3 ARs in exchange for 1 AR. Saved some precious safe room.

I am really not interested in acquiring new guns right now. I have what I need to fill the roles. My son is a sophomore in college and I fully expect him to take half or more of my guns in a few years. By then the wife and I will be ready to downsize. He can have what he wants, I might sell off a few things to upgrade. Overall I will keep what I think I need.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I occasionally clean out the safes. Usually this is in the pursuit of quality over quantity. Last year I got rid of 3 ARs in exchange for 1 AR. Saved some precious safe room.

I am really not interested in acquiring new guns right now. I have what I need to fill the roles. My son is a sophomore in college and I fully expect him to take half or more of my guns in a few years. By then the wife and I will be ready to downsize. He can have what he wants, I might sell off a few things to upgrade. Overall I will keep what I think I need.
    Sounds wise. Thinking ahead is a good thing.

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    I have several firearms I’ve acquired or inherited that I have never shot… with that said. Everytime I sell one or give one to my boys I automatically regret it and wish I had it back..

This is a very strange phenomenon I haven’t been able to understand or control… lol

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    Ive always wanted a full blown custom bolt gun for hunting but couldn’t stand the thought of buying say a gunwerks for 9-10k, so after many many semi customs I decided it was time to build my own.
    Sold most of my semi customs (was very nervous) and purchased all the parts for my own custom build.
    Turns out I went a path where I did not need a gunsmith and built it myself.
    Only need one more part (and it’s a major one) rifle stock - coming from manners.
    But right now sits in a temporary stock.
    But boy I’m happy.
    I only spent $9,254.88
    DOH!!!!
    Lol

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have several firearms I’ve acquired or inherited that I have never shot… with that said. Everytime I sell one or give one to my boys I automatically regret it and wish I had it back..

This is a very strange phenomenon I haven’t been able to understand or control… lol
    Not sure I understand this concept owning firearms you have not shot, but then maybe I just don't have enough yet to get into that category. Whenever I get something new to me, it bothers me until I get out and make sure it works like it should.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure I understand this concept owning firearms you have not shot, but then maybe I just don't have enough yet to get into that category. Whenever I get something new to me, it bothers me until I get out and make sure it works like it should.
    I did that once. I bought a new Sig P226, put a SRT in it and at that point in time I wasn’t hitting the range as regular as now, it was winter and I was eyeballs deep into my home reno. It sat in the box for probably 6 months and then I sold it. Never even shot it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I do this, on occasion, when I'm consolidating calibers, buy something I like better (and sell off its predecessor model, etc.) or I'll sell a few toys to buy a better toy! Currently reducing my 357SIG collection as it's just not a caliber I have in the rotation anymore. Most of my acquisitions this year have been in the single-stack version...offering true pocket or ankle-sized concealability.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    In a year or so i want to buy a house and I am also 5-6 years from beginning the step down process of retiring. As such I have been rethinking a lot of stuff. I made a quick list of guns to sell. Half of them I have never shot, the other half I've only shot a couple times. All but a few I have owned for 5 years or more. I mean an M4 AR, unfired and of equal quality to others, is an easy source of capital.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again. :abused:

Anyone else do this?
    Has happened a few times and sometimes it does not take years to buy again. Took 6 guns to be sold on gunbroker in 2021 and even after I was heading back home I kind of had this feeling there was one I should not have left behind (2012 Sig P226 9mm) So I end up with a new Sig P226 again last year.

But the rest I had no regrets parting with. I guess in 45 years of shooting the only ones I have the most regrets on were the ones I passed over that are now too freaking expensive to buy.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yeah, that makes no sense to me, either. I try to at least have some practical excuse to buy something, even if it's not necessarily a good excuse, lol. But they all make it to the range, usually that same day.

I don't have unlimited space, and I don't like accumulating or keeping stuff around that I don't use. I have some milsurps, revolvers, and leverguns that don't necessarily get a lot of rounds through them, but I do shoot them occasionally and I'm not parting with them because I'll never be able to afford to replace them.

I went through an AR phase for a bit, and ended up offloading a bunch of them. ARs are the worst for clogging up a safe, especially if you mount an optic. I kept four...a patrol rifle in .223, a lightweight 9mm carbine, a dedicated .22LR M4 clone, and an M16A3 clone in .233 to round out the milsurp collection.

Semi-autos that get kept are predominantly Sigs and Berettas along with a couple of 1911s and .22 target pistols. I also try to have one or two at a time that are kind of "T&E" status...I'll buy something that interests me and if I like it it might get kept, or if not it can get traded off guilt-free on the next thing that comes along that I want to try. Currently that gun is a full-size PX4 9mm, which I'm really enjoying apart from having to master the trigger reset/takeup, and I kinda wish it was a compact. I haven't decided if it's going to earn a permanent place in the safe yet or not, but it has been fun to play with.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have a habit of impulse purchase and then scrambling to raise money to cover it.

A big hinge point for me is commodity items versus irreplaceable items. Some stuff is off limits for selling simple because it's impossible to find now at anything approaching a rational price.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I've been pondering this one a lot lately. I recently gave my stepson a Henry .22 and my Dad's Winchester 94AE that were just talking up space. I suck at letting go of stuff; but, I figure there's a start. I've got several pieces that I bought on a whim and for which I have no use. That's the next step.

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    I find myself wanting to get some new guns, but I have no idea what to get. I have every role filled with my current collection, so it's difficult for me to consider new guns when I think "Well that's kind of redundant since I already have XXX gun." I might even have 2 or 3 guns that all fill the same role already.

This happens every few years, and my usual solution is to sell off some stuff, then it's easier for me to figure out what my next gun experience will be. I'm not the type that says "Never sell a gun", as I have only 2 that have family attachments, and I have no sentimental attachment to the rest.

Of course, I do find myself selling off some guns and years later buying the same thing again. :abused:

Anyone else do thiI've been downsizing a lot lately. I think I may sell off my surplus collection to fund better gear and things more practical.

I find myself wanting to get some new guns, but I have no idea what to get. I have every role filled with my current collection, so it's difficult for me to consider new guns when I think "Well that's kind of redundant since I already have XXX gun." I might even have 2 or 3 guns that all fill the same role already.

This happens every few years, and my usual solution is to sell off some stuff, then it's easier for me to figure out what my next gun experience will be. I'm not the type that says "Never sell a gun", as I have only 2 that have family attachments, and I have no sentimental attachment to the rest.

Anyone else do this?
    I've been downsizing a lot lately. I think I may sell off my surplus collection to fund better gear and things more practical. I just got some omni7 pvs14 and now I need some risers and IR lasers more than I need collectables.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I toy with the idea of trimming the collection and over the years, have let stuff go. Given the political climate today as well as my creeping up on retirement, I'm holding on to what I have for now. Once I retire, all of the stuff that I never shoot can be sold to fund stuff I can no longer afford. At least for a bit maybe.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I should also add, I really don't find myself wanting much anymore. I like what I have and seem to have lost the 'gun-a-month' itch that plagued me for a long time.

Top Bottom