• Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    The guy that hit me informed me he has no insurance

Oh and he doesn't have a drivers license either

And he'll get a slap on the wrist, and then go jump his non-DL-and-insurance-having-ass back in a car tomorrow. Same thing will happen next time he gets pulled over too.

I do feel sorry for you though. I've been in your shoes.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I hear you there. I was involved in a collision a month ago. The other driver fled but stopped a half mile away parked her car and left in another vehicle. She returned later after the police located the vehicle but was only given a citation for her license. Not sure if it is a county thing or what.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a misdemeanor exception, there is nothing preventing an arrest based on PC. The officer does not have to witness it like most misdemeanors.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Not sure what happened to the other driver, as the officer said I was good to go after he gave me the report number. He said he was going to be yelling at the man for not having a license/insurance so I don't think he was arrested. The only ID he had was a Mexico ID. I am honestly curious how the yelling at him by the officer went, as the other driver didn't speak much English and his son had to translate most of it.

This is new to me, being in an incident where the other driver has no insurance. What am I to expect when I file the claim? I have been involved in another accident where the driver was at fault, and his insurance simply paid for my car to be fixed, but what happens from this? Am i going to have to pay my $500 deductible to get my car fixed, even when I was at 0% fault simply because this ******* was driving without insurance?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Good luck getting anything out of the other driver. My bet is he has a new ID with a different name by Monday if he does not already have 3 others.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Not sure what happened to the other driver, as the officer said I was good to go after he gave me the report number. He said he was going to be yelling at the man for not having a license/insurance so I don't think he was arrested. The only ID he had was a Mexico ID. I am honestly curious how the yelling at him by the officer went, as the other driver didn't speak much English and his son had to translate most of it.

This is new to me, being in an incident where the other driver has no insurance. What am I to expect when I file the claim? I have been involved in another accident where the driver was at fault, and his insurance simply paid for my car to be fixed, but what happens from this? Am i going to have to pay my $500 deductible to get my car fixed, even when I was at 0% fault simply because this ******* was driving without insurance?

Depends on what kind of underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage your policy has. You could also take him to small claims if you think there is any chance of draining blood from a turnip...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

Yes

Happened to me once in beach grove.

Woman didn't park her car and it rolled into mine. It was winter and my bumper was covered in salt and I didn't see any damage but I took her info anyway. She gave me a fake address, fake name, and fake insurance info. I got home, cleaned off my bumper and saw a small crack in the bumper. Called her insurance company found out she lied, progressive said I didn't have the right plate number. Had a family friend who is a private investigator run the plate, I had all the information I needed and then some.

I had every court record, residence, and current employment info. Turns out she didn't have insurance and judging by her court record even if I sued her I wouldn't get anything. It wasnt the first time she'd been in trouble for driving without insurance or the first time being sued.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Hmmm, considering that driving on a suspended license, nor operating while never receiving a valid license is not a misdemeanor exception and requires the officers witness the drivers...drive...in order to make an outright arrest...interesting. I ticket them and tow the vehicle.

Damn it, everytime I go running my mouth you have to come along with logic/laws and make me look stupid.

Am I wrong in thinking if you pull someone over for a simple traffic infraction and find their license is suspended that you just write them for it and let them walk?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Damn it, everytime I go running my mouth you have to come along with logic/laws and make me look stupid.

Am I wrong in thinking if you pull someone over for a simple traffic infraction and find their license is suspended that you just write them for it and let them walk?

Depends on a bunch of things. Simple driving while suspended is an infraction, not arrestable. If they have a prior within 10 years, or it is suspension as a result of a conviction, on one of the other enhancers, then it is a misdemeanor which the officer can arrest for or cite at his discretion. Every department has its own policy on this.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I will write them and tow their vehicle. Paying to get it out of impound can be more painful than anything they will get from traffic court.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    So I just noticed on the form the officer gave me, it has both my address as well as his address listed. I didn't notice this last night, because by the time I got home, I was just too pissed about my upcoming charges I would have to pay to get my car fixed, that I just crashed on the couch.

Would he have also received a form that would have my address listed on it as well? If so, I can't say I'm too comfortable with a criminal having my street address, as well as knowing what kind of car I drive.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So I just noticed on the form the officer gave me, it has both my address as well as his address listed. I didn't notice this last night, because by the time I got home, I was just too pissed about my upcoming charges I would have to pay to get my car fixed, that I just crashed on the couch.

Hopefully the car was not involved.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Figured this was a good place for this.
    Police: Woman?s body found in basement of Eastside home

Lady lamenting the state of her eastside neighborhood.
    But the hood can be the jungle, and this is the hood. This is the slums. The people in Carmel, Noblesville, Avon, they don't know what goes on on this side of town.

Well, as a resident of one of those cities... yeah, I kinda know, but what exactly are we supposed to do about it?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nope. You can use it to get a warrant. You can't use it to outright arrest.

Hypothetical... What if YOUR "official" dashcam catches it but you are looking away, are in Dunkin getting a refill, etc. and someone calls it to your attention? is it actionable then?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Figured this was a good place for this.
    Police: Woman?s body found in basement of Eastside home

Lady lamenting the state of her eastside neighborhood.

Well, as a resident of one of those cities... yeah, I kinda know, but what exactly are we supposed to do about it?

I grew up in Plainfield then lived in rural Martinsville. It is a different world in the city. I don't know what someone can do that does not live here. I try to keep my yard nice and call the cops if someone is up to bad ****.

My neighborhood is relatively quite compared to many in the city. Just in the past few months with in two blocks of my house I have seen two high speed chases and one stand off with SWAT.

Top Bottom