• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    yep, and tonight someone's got a chance of winning the powerball!... and i prefer not to win the "only 1 mag lottery"

right now ive got 2 (31 rounds of 9mm hornady critical defense)mags on me, 1 in the gun and the other on my week side just in case i run into a p!$$ed off gang of hells angels.

Critical Defense is not very good ammo. You're gonna lose the penetration lottery against those Hell's Angels with that crap.

Personally, I stick with Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot. That ammo is street proven.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Critical Defense is not very good ammo. You're gonna lose the penetration lottery against those Hell's Angels with that crap.

Personally, I stick with Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot. That ammo is street proven.

Not trying to start an argument. But, what makes you say Critical Defense isn't very good ammo? I'm always trying to learn.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not trying to start an argument. But, what makes you say Critical Defense isn't very good ammo? I'm always trying to learn.

It has been shown to not meet the minimum FBI standards for penetration. (12") This was some time ago, I don't know if they've improved it or not. Critical Duty (not to be confused with Critical Defense) is supposed to be up to standards, but I just stick to the ammo that passes the FBI minimums and has also been shown to perform well in actual shootings. This list has been widely circulated in various tactical forums on the web:

The approved list of self-defense ammunition (is your ammo on this list?) pt 3 of 3 | Prepared Gun Owners

There are probably some newer loads that also make the grade, but I've not seen anyone say that anything performs better than HSTs, Federal Tactical Bonded, Gold Dots or Rangers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has been shown to not meet the minimum FBI standards for penetration. (12") This was some time ago, I don't know if they've improved it or not. Critical Duty (not to be confused with Critical Defense) is supposed to be up to standards, but I just stick to the ammo that passes the FBI minimums and has also been shown to perform well in actual shootings. This list has been widely circulated in various tactical forums on the web:

The approved list of self-defense ammunition (is your ammo on this list?) pt 3 of 3 | Prepared Gun Owners

There are probably some newer loads that also make the grade, but I've not seen anyone say that anything performs better than HSTs, Federal Tactical Bonded, Gold Dots or Rangers.

HST and Gold Dots are my go to's. I have some of the ammo in question. But not loaded into the HD/EDC mags.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HST and Gold Dots are my go to's. I have some of the ammo in question. But not loaded into the HD/EDC mags.

Me also. My EDC has 135 gr Critical Duty +P, one spare mag has that and the other has 147gr HST. I do have three mags loaded with Critical Defense. I don't have concerns about 115gr Critical Defense, but I carry what I carry for a reason.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You can call, but I might not answer.

Do you mean you personally won't answer, or I'll be hearing an instrumental version of Girl from Ipanema and a computer-generated voice will tell me I'm the 12th caller in line?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Do you mean you personally won't answer, or I'll be hearing an instrumental version of Girl from Ipanema and a computer-generated voice will tell me I'm the 12th caller in line?
    I won't personally answer. You'll reach a real person that sounds like she is young and attractive but really old and heavy. And what I meant is I'll probably be on vacation the day you call.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Interesting read, and some good info. Now, I will need to do some research on the Critical Defense. I have some CD, but mostly I currently carry Speer Gold Dot (have for years). Based on info when the CD ammo came out, I thought it would have performed at least equally well. Interesting

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Do a search for DocGKR and read what he has to say about the testing and real life work of much of the ammo out there. I think he has the best collected data and trust his judgement more than you tube vids or testing where the manufacturer paid for it.

Top Bottom