• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wonder what the difference would be if you culled the public school down to the group who have parents as committed to them and their success as the home school parents are.

As a home school parent (one in college, one graduating this year, 2 others in the pipeline), but who is intellectually honest, I have wondered the same thing. Without any actually studies or stats, I have come to the conclusion that if the parents are caring, involved and have high standards, in many, or even most ways, it does not matter what educational format is chosen.

My wife and I are products of public and private schools and have turned out halfway decent. My sisters were public school all the way through and did fine in life. (Granted we're all from a different generation). I have numerous friends and colleagues who home school, send the kids to private, or send them to public and good kids with good parents turn out fine regardless. The key is not ceding the responsibility to educate and instill discipline and values to a subcontractor no matter where your kids attend school.

Sure, there are some things about public school that bother me, but that just means parents have to work a little harder to know what's going on. In sum, we home school parents are lazy.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My daughter was involved in competitive cheer leading for a number of years. The things I've seen, can't be unseen.:rolleyes:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My daughter was involved in competitive cheer leading for a number of years. The things I've seen, can't be unseen.:rolleyes:

One of my wife's friends has her daughters in dance. Its amazing how slutty they dress some of these young girls. I've seen less makeup on a drag queen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So I took my 10 year old daughter (we adopted her in May) to middle school orientation Friday. Here in Floyd County middle school is fifth through eighth grades. So when I am there to pick her up I see what I thought was an optical illusion. I see this girl I am figuring she is 13-14 years old walking at me. She is wearing a black top that is cut wide at the top and dives way down. There wasn't much left to the imagination. I was stunned. Stunned that someone would allow a child this age to even own such a piece of clothing, and then stunned they would allow them to wear it out in public. I figure that my daughter won't be around her due to the age difference and calm down. As I am pulling out of the parking lot there is the girl standing there and my daughter tells her goodbye. I am surprised and ask if she knows her. My daughter replies "Yea, she is in my class." I was not happy. So I guess battling the bad influences of other kids is going to get real this year. :xmad:

You should investigate what the school's dress code policy is. Be sure to express your recent concern while doing so.

Also, go ahead and start marking school board meetings on your calendar. Plan on attending them with frequency.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    There are some parents out there that non-participants in the raising of their children. I have two daighters, 26 and 13. These are proper and decent in their raising. We have the policy of "pants up, button up". The oldest daughter had a boyfriend in high school who showed up to meet and had pants hanging low so I pointed at the rack by the door that had a belt that would be worn in my house. Needless to say, he wore belts from that point onward. The girls wear nothing below nape of neck and nothing less than one hand width above knees. The oldest is grown and I am proud to say still has the appropriate attire.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wonder what the difference would be if you culled the public school down to the group who have parents as committed to them and their success as the home school parents are.

Those kids would still exist. They'd be out there in your neighborhoods, next door, down the street, still having an influence on your kids.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Open house update: The girl was properly dressed and had nothing on that would draw attention. Wish I could say the same for the parents. I made an effort to be dressed in good clothes looking nice (or as nice as I can). There were parents that were dressed like absolute trash. I would have been embarrassed to be seen in public like that. Especially when you are meeting your childs teachers. Unbelievable.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The other day, I took the kids to the mall to kill some time.

I knew I'd want to weep over the clothes splayed for all to see, but... Victoria's Secret had more skin covered than some of the other stores. Peer pressure is a weighty thing, but hopefully we (collectively) can teach our kids to be comfortable in their identity and accept that modesty catches better fish than other lures do...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Those kids would still exist. They'd be out there in your neighborhoods, next door, down the street, still having an influence on your kids.

I meant in outcome for the kid in comparison.

Essentially, home schooled kids do better than public school kids as a group. What do home school kids look like when compared to the subset of public school kids who have parents who are equally dedicated and involved with them. That's what Hough and I were discussing, how much influence does school have vs parent and home environment.

Top Bottom