• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    This is what burns me, I own a boat, car, old military truck that I seldom drive/use and it just cost me an extra $45 bucks for them to sit in the garage. The DMV has already proven they charge incorrect fees.

Increase the fuel tax and tax the user fairly.

The boat/trailer is exempt. The military truck might be eligible for a collector plate or something. Two of our vehicles are going to be switched to collector vehicle plates as those are exempt since they are not used as main transportation vehicles. The motorcycles also appear to be exempt. Here is the link to the full text. https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/bills/house/1002#digest-heading

This is copied from the text of the bill.

Establishes a $15 transportation infrastructure improvement fee that applies to the registration of all motor vehicles except trailers, semitrailers, non-motive recreational vehicles, special machinery, vehicles registered as military vehicles, vehicles registered as collector vehicles, motor driven cycles, trucks, tractors used with a semitrailer, and for-hire buses with a declared gross weight greater than 26,000 pounds. Increases annual registration fees for certain motor vehicles with a declared gross weight that equals or exceeds 26,000 pounds. Requires a person who registers an electric vehicle to pay a supplemental registration fee of $150 with an increase every five years based on an index factor. Requires a person who registers a hybrid vehicle to pay a supplemental registration fee of $50 with an increase every five years based on an index factor.
    I just opened my registration forms. How in the world is my motorcycle charged basically the same as my car? No way does is put as many miles down the road or wear on the road surfaces as a car. I have noticed the $ amount creeping up but this is ridiculous.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    So the government says we need more taxes for our roads. Okay - I'm willing to listen. But first - what about this new terrain I-69 that was shoved down my throat? Some of did not support that, some did. Which is it, do we need more roads, or to fix the roads we have, or both I guess? I'm really not very excited to give up more money when they spend money on new stuff, then tell me they need more money to fix the old stuff...

it seem out of ever one in this thread caverjamie gets it......why in the world would the state spend 3.1 billion + on a road that we didn't need and most everyone along it didn't want?

to they have been spending close to 1 million every 2 months to fix section 4 a little over a year after it has opened........all of it was built on the cheap to get it open and we will spend millions and millions to stop it from falling apart......

all roads and bridges in the state should have been fixed before one inch of new terrain highway should have been built........these new taxes are the result of no one paying any attention and raising a bigger stink forcing the state to fix the roads and bridges we have.....

after close to 6 years you still can't drive a semi from Bloomington to Terra Haute on SR46 because a bridge still needs replaced?....no money....but money for I69...

this is the same as you a home owner having a bad roof leaking water in your house and you buy new carpet!!!!!.......

so the next time the state comes up with another stupid way to spend your money raise up and complain!!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They have had and spent the damn money people. It has passed through heir hands and is gone. Now they want us to bail them out....again....some more. This is just more of the same.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just opened my registration forms. How in the world is my motorcycle charged basically the same as my car? No way does is put as many miles down the road or wear on the road surfaces as a car. I have noticed the $ amount creeping up but this is ridiculous.

I renewed all of our plates in March. Five trucks and three motorcycles...then add on the two boats (one doesn't have a trailer/one does). All of our vehicles are old. The newest truck is a 1989. One bike is a 2001...the others are 1978 models. I am definitely changing the two trucks that are not driven in winter to collector plates.

I noticed the same thing when I renewed the bikes. Why are they the same as the trucks? Makes no sense to me and it really is just a wheel tax for the most part. Many counties already have a wheel tax so those residents will get hit double.

When my son left on his trip, he left his SUV with me so I could drive it and keep it running rather than just parking it. When I renewed his plates, I noticed his address was still from when he lived at Purdue. He had updated his mailing address for his plates, but that apparently does not change the address on your registration. He had been paying wheel tax from Tippecanoe County for three years after he moved away from there and didn't realize it. Young kids are apparently not that observant, but for me to change the address to our house, I had to take specific documents showing it was now his current residence including the receipt from forwarding his mail. Luckily, I made him do a Power of Attorney before he left that allowed me to make changes to his registration. When I asked him about why he hadn't changed his address, he said he thought he had. He had gone into the BMV and changed it on his license and his mailing address for his notices to be sent to. When I went to their web site, it does say that mailing address updates do not update your residential address and specifies what documents are needed to make that change. Common sense should tell the employees that if someone is changing their mailing address, perhaps they have registrations that need changed too?? Oh wait...common sense is dead....

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    ...snip... Oh wait...common sense is dead....
    Sure is! I went in last year about now to get a replacement title for my boat and trailer. The boat wasn't a problem as they had it in their records. The trailer was another story. I have had this rig long enough that the state did NOT require a title back then. Even though I had original documentation of the sale and taxes paid and even the paid off bank note, BMV was wanting/going to charge sales taxes AGAIN on the sale! Now, it wasn't my idea to make a law that all trailers have to have titles and I was not going to ante up for sales tax that I already paid. The state should give anyone in this situation a free title under some kind of grandfather clause. SO....I became "that" customer for them that day. After arguing with them for 45 minutes they said "we're going to fix this and get you out of here." I ended up paying taxes on on dollar, which I should not have had to. I'll have to say this was the only bad encounter I have had with them in quite awhile but it was pure stupidity and bureaucracy in motion.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sure is! I went in last year about now to get a replacement title for my boat and trailer. The boat wasn't a problem as they had it in their records. The trailer was another story. I have had this rig long enough that the state did NOT require a title back then. Even though I had original documentation of the sale and taxes paid and even the paid off bank note, BMV was wanting/going to charge sales taxes AGAIN on the sale! Now, it wasn't my idea to make a law that all trailers have to have titles and I was not going to ante up for sales tax that I already paid. The state should give anyone in this situation a free title under some kind of grandfather clause. SO....I became "that" customer for them that day. After arguing with them for 45 minutes they said "we're going to fix this and get you out of here." I ended up paying taxes on on dollar, which I should not have had to. I'll have to say this was the only bad encounter I have had with them in quite awhile but it was pure stupidity and bureaucracy in motion.

Common sense and BMV just do not work in the same sentence! :runaway:

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010

My 25 year old small fishing boat cost more than my daily driver car.......had my boat out on time last year.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County

The BMV charges a $7 registration fee on every motorcycle for rider training. This money is given to the states sole contractor, ABATE of Indiana.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    They have had and spent the damn money people. It has passed through heir hands and is gone. Now they want us to bail them out....again....some more. This is just more of the same.

Yep it's too easy to spend money that's not theirs. Miami County passed a wheel tax last year to "improve" the roads, but yet a year later the roads are in worse shape.

Top Bottom