• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Sure, we all believe that. I think if the pro-hemp people were honest about this being a first step to legalization and changing the culture to pro-dope I think they may have more support. However, this stalking horse strategy and the misrepresentations about hemp being some miracle cure for industry/agriculture/hair re-growth is not helping their cause. Heck, a few states have legalized dope and even Illinois has a medical exception now.

Time for the pro-hemp side to stop being cowards.

Just more cowardice. Just come out and say you want the dope legalized.

Heck, if you would lobby and educate, you might get some legitimate movement in the General Assembly.

Why does this have to be cowardice or lying? Can the man who was looking for camel milk not see that I cannot grow Rayon but CAN grow and spin hemp into a perfectly serviceable product? Just in case I haven't been sufficiently clear on the matter, I do not use MJ for, well, recreational purposes, do not intend to, and do not encourage any others to (with the caveat that I don't think it is any of government's damned business if they do), but this is completely irrelevant to the point. It is much like arguing over whether anvils should be legal with an anti-gunner screaming that you *could* use that steel to make guns.

So we all agree there are no negative consequences to legalizing industrial hemp, is that correct?

I suppose this could be construed as a cowardly move by the pot movement. But what if it is?

But it if you want to see what real cowardice is, I give you Dermody, Bosma, et al. They just kill anything that smacks of controversy or Liberty in committee. No need to vote against it.

Ah, but is that cowardice, or is it bravely fighting for the status quo?:D

I vote that they are cowards. They accepted the sh*tstorm they got with RFRA because that was the lesser hit to take rather than doing what they wanted to do in the first place and make homosexuals a protected class and then have to face down the base for being turncoats, and they wont adjust the law to match the Constitution, state or federal, WHICH IS THEIR DAMNED JOB. No, they are not bravely fighting for the status quo, they are hiding under their desks quaking hoping that the world will go away aside from those dumping huge amounts of cash to buy custom legislation.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, and gun grabbers are just bravely defending the children.

Making demons of those that disagree over the most banal of issues, such as hemp, only further entrenches your opposition's position.

It seems to me pro-hemp people/lobby/concerned citizens should focus on education instead of inventing stalking horses.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Making demons of those that disagree over the most banal of issues, such as hemp, only further entrenches your opposition's position.

It seems to me pro-hemp people/lobby/concerned citizens should focus on education instead of inventing stalking horses.

As previously expressed, this is not necessarily a stalking horse although you, for some reason, reject other perfectly reasonable motivations, again, returning to the point where it is not possible to grow Polyester.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is a shame that the whole hemp issue is clouded in the smoke of "reefer madness". If we had not villainized pot long ago, instead of dealing with the moral failures of some pot smokers, no one would care who was growing the plant.

Hemp is a very useful long strand fiber. As we well know, it made great, durable rope. Fabric made from hemp is durable and dimensionally stable. Processing the fiber is fairly easy and environmentally gentle, unlike synthetics. As an example, the premium loudspeaker company, Eminence, has a line that uses oriented hemp fiber for speaker cones. This yields very smooth tonal response over a wide frequency range, even at high decibles. More durable than the short fiber paper cones, without the harshness of poly cone speakers. If you listened to my vintage amplifiers, you would agree they sound good, but as soon as I mentioned all the speakers have been changed out with Cannabis Rex speakers, most people will get silly about it. Emotion gets in the way of good sense.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, we all know what a huge market natural fiber rope represents. This could revolutionize the 1800s sail boat industry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That product may not mean much to you, but what if you could go a lot longer between times of paying 511tactical money out of your paycheck?

I've yet to wear out a pair of 5.11 uniform pants. I've had to re-dye them, had to replace buttons, but never worn the cloth out.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is a shame that the whole hemp issue is clouded in the smoke of "reefer madness". If we had not villainized pot long ago, instead of dealing with the moral failures of some pot smokers, no one would care who was growing the plant.

Hemp is a very useful long strand fiber. As we well know, it made great, durable rope. Fabric made from hemp is durable and dimensionally stable. Processing the fiber is fairly easy and environmentally gentle, unlike synthetics. As an example, the premium loudspeaker company, Eminence, has a line that uses oriented hemp fiber for speaker cones. This yields very smooth tonal response over a wide frequency range, even at high decibles. More durable than the short fiber paper cones, without the harshness of poly cone speakers. If you listened to my vintage amplifiers, you would agree they sound good, but as soon as I mentioned all the speakers have been changed out with Cannabis Rex speakers, most people will get silly about it. Emotion gets in the way of good sense.

My understanding is that the demonization didn't start until the invention of synthetic fibers. As Leadeye is fond of reminding us, always follow the money.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've yet to wear out a pair of 5.11 uniform pants. I've had to re-dye them, had to replace buttons, but never worn the cloth out.

BBI, I guess you are not a great customer for products made from natural fibers, but I am still not giving up the speakers in my vintage Jazz amplifiers! ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why won't it pass? I have never heard a single Hoosier, outside of the INGO, that has ever spoken of it. I don't think most people care about the subject. So why would the legislature touch the issue. They obviously underestimated the reaction they got from RFRA. Poke another possible sleeping bear now? Probably not.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have never heard a single Hoosier, outside of the INGO, that has ever spoken of it.

Our INGO scientists are hard at work spreading The Word via the Internet.

1388757995000-AP-Rethinking-Pot-The-First-Sales.jpg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Why won't it pass? I have never heard a single Hoosier, outside of the INGO, that has ever spoken of it. I don't think most people care about the subject. So why would the legislature touch the issue. They obviously underestimated the reaction they got from RFRA. Poke another possible sleeping bear now? Probably not.

If your assumption were true, this argument would have merit. The GOP leadership had a little purge aimed at the few objecting voices left before pushing the homosexual agenda, the court beat them to marriage, and RFRA 2.0 was exactly what they wanted hidden behind the introduction of RFRA 1.0 and the sh*tstorm it was engineered to produce to give them cover in terms of not pissing the base off to the point of not voting for them. You do have a point that the base is probably locked into the mindset that hemp=MJ that it wouldn't go over too well.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Our INGO scientists are hard at work spreading The Word via the Internet.

1388757995000-AP-Rethinking-Pot-The-First-Sales.jpg

I have watched you go off on a number of childish tirades over the last few years. I find it hugely ironic (and pathetic) that someone whose name is literally FreeMan could be so against freedom, except when it benefits you. This is the most asinine argument I have seen you make though. What possible negative could allowing someone to grow an INDUSTRIAL CROP bring? Someone might burn a few bales of it and catch a contact?

Hemp isn't pot, Matlock. It lacks the THC content necessary to make it anything close to marijuana. I don't understand how you can't grasp that simple fact. Allowing FREEMEN (see what I did there?) to grow textiles has NOTHING to do with advocating for the usage or legalization of a completely different plant. You have thrown around insults and intellectual dishonesty in this thread (and many others), it gets really old. I get it, you enjoy sharpening your lawyer talons against the field mice of INGO. Good for you. But the tiny little chub you get over MJ advocates, libertarians, Ron Paul supporters, etc causes a lot of people to look at you like a fool.

I listed just a handful of the thousands of uses, none of them are drug related. What other crop can be harvested as quickly and turned into anything close to what hemp can do? Are there other products that are better in just one field ? Of course. Just because one pair of tacticool pants didn't wear out doesn't make hemp fiber less of a useful resource though. One acre of hemp produces as much as 3 acres of cotton, and it is a superior product. An acre of hemp is also worth 3 acres of trees, just for paper usage alone. Wood pulp paper lasts 50 years before it gets brittle and yellows, hemp lasts hundreds of years without doing either. The environmental aspect and land usage considerations alone make it worth "allowing" free people to choose their own crop. If you really need someone to "educate you" , maybe I'll start a Kickstarter to write "The Complete Statist's Guide to Industrial Hemp (It's Not Pot!)"

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I believe the point Freeman is trying to make is that marijuana and hemp legalization have a strong tendency to go hand in hand. I know I've never met a hemp proponent that wasn't also pro-marijuana.

Top Bottom