Indiana churches set up security teams after law changes to allow guns in church

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    How does one go about approaching developing a team of willing participants to organize training and such w/o broadcasting what we're doing to send other members tilt. Its a delicate balance in a church struggling for members.

You will definitely need the church leaders on board, and at some point you will want to have the congregation on board. One way to is to approach "security" training as just one piece of the churches overall safety and preparedness training. Maybe start out with first aid/aed training, then add training to deal with a fire or tornado, maybe CIT training next. Then when you add the security training to deal with a threat, it will seem like a more natural progression and better received by those who are resistant to the idea. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. Don't try to accomplish it all immediately.

Good luck!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Our security team is in charge of severe weather drills and fire drills also. That helps in getting approval to have the team. Most of our congregation doesn't know we carry

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Our security team is in charge of severe weather drills and fire drills also. That helps in getting approval to have the team. Most of our congregation doesn't know we carry
    As they should be, most churches will never NEED armed security, just as most of us will never NEED our carry gun. The ones that DO need them, need them RIGHT ****ING NOW! Back to statistics, most are made up, but do you want to be the one that’s real? Church security should be a multifaceted group, first aid, disaster response and assistance, and yes, shooters too.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

As they should be, most churches will never NEED armed security, just as most of us will never NEED our carry gun. The ones that DO need them, need them RIGHT ****ING NOW! Back to statistics, most are made up, but do you want to be the one that’s real? Church security should be a multifaceted group, first aid, disaster response and assistance, and yes, shooters too.

Our Safety & Security Team handles all sorts of issues, weather issues, building issues, fire, medical issues, etc. as well as 'armed-intruder' related issues.
    I believe in 'Murphy's Law'...in that if I am prepared and able, I won't have to use it...but the day I don't have it will probably (most-likely) be the one day I do need it!
    Being prepared is a responsibility...in many ways! Stay diligent!

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    In my church we have about 3-4 guys who carry. I currently am not one of them. However, believe it or not this past Sunday our pastors wife asked me if I would consider starting to concealed carry? So I am going to. Apparently she thought that I had been carrying because I am the chairperson for the yearly "Home On The Range' shooting event that we hold. Our church is a little country church way out in the country and we have considerable land we own. We have clay pigeon throwing put on by a lady and her husband that do it professionally. We have shooting lanes for handguns and rifles. We do the event as a means to invite men (and their families) to church. It is quite popular. Anyway...that's my :twocents:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think he is going anywhere.
    The wife isn't up to changing churches after going to this one for 20 years.

Guns, self defense, pacifism - all one of those Christian things I think we can agree to disagree and still be Biblical.

I'll carry my gun so my pastor and any other pacifist don't have to. :yesway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our church now has a security team. The leader of said team is well qualified and conducts training sessions on all kinds of pertinent topics including firearms training and a qualification standard for the team.

They discreetly patrol during all activities and there are radios to reach them immediately in every room.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My pastor carries a 38 snub. Half our congregation carries and have for a long time.

The pastor at our previous church, from 10+ years ago, would call me whenever his wife gave him 'permission' to get something new or different...it was always hilarious!
    In his previous life, he had held a Private Investigator's License in MI and those skills helped him when he was a pastor...we had some interesting conversations!

Top Bottom