Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Here's a little bit of the early history of Walkerton-

Walkerton, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a list of the famous people from town-

Then there's this little bit of Info, I haven't been able to find much about it though -

6. WALKERTON, INDIANA:
    Eight giants 8 to 9 feet tall, all in copper armour - 1925 (Frank Edwards, Strange World, p.98)

Supposedly in the '20's some people were digging in a indian burial mound close to town and found some giant skeletons. They removed them and all the artifacts, stored them in a old grist mill, which just happened to get washed away in the late '20's during a flood.

Rarely end up in that boomtown but have more than a handful of relatives that moved from the area of Plymouth/LaPorte (Swan Lake-ish) to where it turns into Walkerton Trail to the Tyner Cemetery. Not my idea of an exciting family reunion but quite a few of them were Oddfellows.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bedford had a civil war era POW camp. (Out on the far end of M Street, if I remember correctly). Several dead Confederate soldiers are buried there.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My family used to have some land down in Brown County in th 70s (wish we still did), and we pretty much had to drive through Peoga to get to it. In that place, three people in line would constitute a parade, but I'm not sure if you'd have anyone left as spectators. It may have grown since then.
    That's about right. But the population grows substantially on the Fourth!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had a coworker tell me once that there was a POW camp housing German POWS close the Charlestown ammo plant? This true?
    I'm not sure where the camp was located, but I know German POWs helped build a lot of the levees around Jeff/Clarksville/New Albany. I'm thinking some, at least, were housed in what is now the old Colgate complex.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Then there's this little bit of Info, I haven't been able to find much about it though -

6. WALKERTON, INDIANA:
    Eight giants 8 to 9 feet tall, all in copper armour - 1925 (Frank Edwards, Strange World, p.98)

Supposedly in the '20's some people were digging in a indian burial mound close to town and found some giant skeletons. They removed them and all the artifacts, stored them in a old grist mill, which just happened to get washed away in the late '20's during a flood.

You can actually find quite a bit about that in Indiana and Ohio. do a google search for Nephilim in burial mounds, or giant skeletons in ohio river valley and it will come up with a lot.

and to keep on track, I dont live there, but Johnny "Appleseed" Chapman is burried in Fort Wayne

the Battle of Tippecanoe, which is often thought to be one of the first battles of the war of 1812, more so because of the outcome (leading Tecumseh to ally with the British when the war began) than who actually fought, was fought in Battleground Indiana, just north of Lafayette

A house from the St. Louis Worlds Fair now resides in Lafayette on the Wallace Triangle

"A Christmas Story" took place in Hammod, IN

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    ...4. My current residence is near LANESVILLE, Home of a Fall Festival that really puts on a show of the old steam powered farm impliments each September. Nothing like watching those Steamerrs in action while enjoying Pork Chop Sandwiches and butter-dipped Roastin' Ears on a late Summer evening.

:welcome::cheers::40oz:

Ahhh...my hometown, finally! You, my good man, are referring to the world famous (at least my world) Lanesville Heritage Weekend. Thats about all we have that we're known for, but its an annual festival that started as the high school's FHA chapter bicentennial celebration in '76. Every year on the second weekend in September, our little town of about 700 people invites over 80,000 of our closest friends for a party :):

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Not sure if this one is true, Trafalgar was originally going to have a different name. But the post office didn't agree with the name. Cause another town had it. the post office said that the town's name would be Trafalgar and that's what it became.

Jason

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Vincennes, oldest (1732) town in the state. Home to George Rogers Clark National Park, Grouseland (Pres. Wm. Henry Harrison's mansion), Territorial capitol of the Northwest Territory, location of first masonic lodge in Indiana (F&AM #1) and the Indiana Military Museum. There's more and I got carried away......
    Musn't forget Red Skelton, King of the comedians.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You can actually find quite a bit about that in Indiana and Ohio. do a google search for Nephilim in burial mounds, or giant skeletons in ohio river valley and it will come up with a lot.

I've looked and looked and cannot find anymore info about the Walkerton mound, no one local seems to know about its location either

Top Bottom