• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Now that the tax is capped, who's to say that the appraised values aren't going to go up.

Well...The Indiana Constitution for one.

The property tax assessor for two.

And the citizens who own property for three.

They can't just assess your property willy-nilly to generate more revenue. It's flat out illegal, and most assessors won't do that since they have to live next to the people they're assessing.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Wow ATO, fight the good fight throwing a little education into the pot, we got some seriously uneducated peeps in here.

GOSH people. Learn a little.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually I wish there was a third choice, do away with property taxes and figure another way to fund all the "necessary" items.

I am tired of having to rent my property from the state. I am sicked when I see people in their 70s and up paying property tax.

While capping the tax slows it's rate of growth, it still is an unfair tax.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Actually I wish there was a third choice, do away with property taxes and figure another way to fund all the "necessary" items.

I am tired of having to rent my property from the state. I am sicked when I see people in their 70s and up paying property tax.

While capping the tax slows it's rate of growth, it still is an unfair tax.

We will get rid of property tax. There is definitely enough support to make that happen. We just have to get the system set up for it first.

Our current laws for funding do not mesh with an elimination of property tax. We need to change the funding laws to move from property tax to income, sales, and excise tax. Then we can eliminate property tax.

It would have taken a herculean effort and a reform of government from the top down to eliminate property taxes in one fell swoop. You're looking at hundreds of pages of change to legislation on top of an amendment to the constitution.

So, step one, cap property tax.

Step two replace property tax funding with other taxes (needed to cap property tax, or we would be double taxed!!)

Step three move all funding away from property taxes and repeal.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    If someone needs more money, they will just re-assess your property to make it worth a little more to get a little more tax money out of you. A few years ago, I disagreed with the higher assessment I got on my cabin in the woods in Putnam County that included several items and features that the structure does not actually have, including a thrid bedroom, central air and a second fireplace. The clerk at the treasurer's office told me that I could get an independent appraisal, show up at a meeting and hope to get on the speaker's list and if not to keep trying. I just went away and forgot about fighting it figuring that those hillbilllies in Putnam County had stacked the deck angainst any such attempts. Since then my place has been re-appriased slightly lower and the taxes have decreased a little.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have a property that was over assessed in Marion county.

We went to fight it. They agreed with us. The new assessment is more in line with reality. That said, we are still waiting on a reimbursement for the impoperly charged taxes from two years ago. This amounts to a couple of thousand dollars.

Moral of the story, they will charge whatever the hell they want (via assessment) and then take however long they feel neccessary to correct their "error".

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a property that was over assessed in Marion county.

We went to fight it. They agreed with us. The new assessment is more in line with reality. That said, we are still waiting on a reimbursement for the impoperly charged taxes from two years ago. This amounts to a couple of thousand dollars.

Moral of the story, they will charge whatever the hell they want (via assessment) and then take however long they feel neccessary to correct their "error".

They told me it could take two years, but it happened in less than a year.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've already been waiting two years. The clock continues ticking.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the interest they've been making on your money while they used it. After all, they'd require you to pay interest if you had money they were requiring you to pay.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the interest they've been making on your money while they used it. After all, they'd require you to pay interest if you had money they were requiring you to pay.

Bahaha..... THAT'S some funny s**t right there... I don't care WHO you are!:laugh:

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why it took so long to refund the excess property taxes they collected several years ago. The State wanted the interest on it.

BTW, WHERE in the Indiana State Constitution does it give the State the right to have ANY surplus/investments earning interest? By that I mean the so called "rainy day fund". It's OUR money, give it back!:yesway:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I own property in Indiana, but of course can't vote there. I appreciate you guys helping me out.

To clear up a misunderstood concept: Renters pay property tax, too. They just don't know it.

Renters pay even more than homeowners do on their primary residence. These renters who voted no are the same idiots who complain about tax abatements or lower taxes for businesses. They can't figure out that the added taxes are passed on to their customers in the form of higher prices.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe I am the idiot, but the wording was along the lines of "do you want to limit". How many people voted believing they were protecting their wallets, since it was worded that way?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've already been waiting two years. The clock continues ticking.

Went with a reputable appraiser, cost $400 for an appraisal for 2006/7 the tax year of the appraisals. For the lot that went from 14K to 20K because they were figuring on the original lot size pre 1890 when it had been cut in half. All I did was provide a picture from their own website and square footage for that and they cut it down to 10K in value.

Each county treats it different. I am in Marion country.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I like it.

And really - what's with all the nay-sayers in this thread? Can legislators not do anything good enough?

Let's encourage moves in the right direction even if they aren't as far we think ideal. That kind of attitude doesn't make any friends.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I own property in Indiana, but of course can't vote there. I appreciate you guys helping me out.

To clear up a misunderstood concept: Renters pay property tax, too. They just don't know it.

They don't understand when their rent goes up because my hard costs (taxes and insurance) go up. They think I should just make less $ and pay the additional costs myself.

Top Bottom