• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    This sounds about right. Have you held political office before?

No, never want to either. But my comment kind of goes along with what we have now - a constitutional right to bear arms, taken away unless we pay the state $$ to get it back in the form of a license! Whoever let that happen the first time should ... well - gotta be civil I guess so will stop there.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Looking ahead a few years after this passes... Indiana has decided to require residents to have a handgun carry license again. The cost of getting a lifetime license will be $250. The old lifetime licenses will NOT be recognized as valid.

There's kind of a progression thing going on. In 1986, there was one state Constitutional Carry (Vermont). There were a metric :poop: ton of states that were either "no carry" or "may issue", and a few that were "shall issue", of which Indiana was one.

At no time in the last thirty years has a state gone from Constitutional Carry back to Shall Issue, nor a Shall Issue to a May Issue, nor a May Issue to a No Carry. Admittedly, this is a short time period, so not fully representative, however, with the exception of the initial permitting systems being put in place, I'm not aware of any state that has ever gone away from the right of carry being just that: a right. We have too much data today and people like us are too aware of what their rights are to allow that to happen, as evidenced by the people choosing to prevent Hillary from entering office. This, however, mandates that we must remain ever vigilant.

I guess the tl;dr to this is: You say that IN will require licenses again and the current (now) ones will not be recognized. Where else has this happened? Other than pessimism, what leads you to believe it will happen here?

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Looking ahead a few years after this passes... Indiana has decided to require residents to have a handgun carry license again. The cost of getting a lifetime license will be $250. The old lifetime licenses will NOT be recognized as valid.

As BoR says, what is your precedent for such a concern?

Brothers and sisters, be not afraid of winning. It is right there. Right in front of us, right for the taking. This is the year. It is time to get paid.

Write your letters. Concentrate your "fire" on Brian Bosma in addition to your rep and senator.

Call 4 friends and have them meet you for coffee or brunch on the weekend. You bring the stamped postcards and you have a group letter writing session in support of constitutional carry.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    As BoR says, what is your precedent for such a concern?

Brothers and sisters, be not afraid of winning. It is right there. Right in front of us, right for the taking. This is the year. It is time to get paid.

Write your letters. Concentrate your "fire" on Brian Bosma in addition to your rep and senator.

Call 4 friends and have them meet you for coffee or brunch on the weekend. You bring the stamped postcards and you have a group letter writing session in support of constitutional carry.

The other point being that - "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - We need not just to win but to instill - as perpetually this understanding - in our progeny and into posterity. I would rather defending the right - it is a stronger position.

The other person to write to is Rep Smaltz (R-52) - as he is the committee chairman for the House Public Policy Committee. This position was the stumbling block (or perhaps fall guy if you accept it a a lacky to Bosma) in the past few sessions. With the new leadership (Smaltz replacing Dermody who didn't seek re-election) - perhaps, and it would appear, there is a more friendly chief in the leader spot.

The

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I certainly hope this passes but I am still holding onto my LTCH, if for no other reason than to carry in other states. (Besides, lifetime means lifetime and I aim to get my money's worth!) :D

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    How could they make our licences invalid in a few years? wouldnt we be grandfathered in like older people not needing motorcycle licenses ?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    How could they make our licences invalid in a few years? wouldnt we be grandfathered in like older people not needing motorcycle licenses ?

It would depend on how the legislation was written. Is it possible to invalidate a state permission slip? Sure. A few elected folks get together and say, "Huh. We did this before, but now it's inconvenient and we don't like it. Let's get rid of it."

By "a few", I mean 51 State Representatives and 26 State Senators, along with the Governor. That's 78 people, of 151 total.

If they do not include a section "grandfathering" the old licenses, or conversely, if they DO include a section specifically disallowing them, yeah, they'd be gone. Political backlash? of course. But if we ever end up with a Democrat supermajority, hold onto your backside. You may take that last figuratively or literally, or both.

Blessings,
    Bill

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    so the only people this would help are those who do not have a carry permit already ? And I am assuming everybody on here already has one ? I fail to see why all the excitement .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    so the only people this would help are those who do not have a carry permit already ? And I am assuming everybody on here already has one ? I fail to see why all the excitement .

I'm guessing there's quite a few folks that think the same way since there was obviously so little pressure brought that neither a republican speaker or republican committee chair felt compelled to at least give this a hearing in committee. This isn't necessarily about us. This is also about the folks coming after us and the kind of state (and country) we want them to inherit.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm guessing there's quite a few folks that think the same way since there was obviously so little pressure brought that neither a republican speaker or republican committee chair felt compelled to at least give this a hearing in committee. This isn't necessarily about us. This is also about the folks coming after us and the kind of state (and country) we want them to inherit.

^ This.
    I'm a lifetime license holder. I got mine the first year they offered them. Luckily my current 4 year at the time was due to expire within months of the initial offerings.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I knew it would guarantee that future generations would no longer need to grovel for permission to carry a handgun, I would GLADLY pay another $100!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone on INGO know any of the people involved in writing this bill that could ask them how LTCH and reciprocity would be handled, so we can stop speculating? Or is it too early in the process to know?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Because we care about freedom, not just about ourselves. The money I spent on my lifetime license means nothing to me at this point. It is long gone.

From a selfish standpoint, look at it this way. If this passes, there would be no question anymore about whether an officer could stop you just because you had a gun.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Anyone on INGO know any of the people involved in writing this bill that could ask them how LTCH and reciprocity would be handled, so we can stop speculating? Or is it too early in the process to know?

I know Jim, the problem isn't the bill as written (it would leave LTCH intact). However, the changes that happen in committee and on the floor are what impact things. Remember the Sunday Alcohol Sales? It got changed by the liquor store lobby to mandate that general stores would have to put alcohol behind a counter. Suddenly, all the big box stores that loved that bill hated it, and down it went.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

My wife does not, nor does she want to get one (she doesn't want the feds to have her fingerprints). I have left my gun in her car before, forgot to bring it in, and remembered three days later. This bill would make me a very happy person.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Lucas' legislation has included keeping the LTCH's and system for them the same each time ( I think the first time he had an amendment to fix this) it was presented.
    And as Wife and I, and daughter and Son-in-Law all have LTCH - for current legal requirements; and for out of state reciprocity when we travel - I still want to see it for my grandsons and others.

Liberty requires all free people to be responsible; and watchful; and protective - or others will come along and take what parts of it they can.
    little by little. fear by fear ... when the NFA and other "First Restrictions" came about in the 30's - the media was a wash with tall tales of gangsterism.
    and the laws were written to placate these fears ... unfounded in that - most of the crimes and murders were then, as today - criminals on criminals.
    (imagine that).

get on the train - now is the time to push and prepare.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

What is stopping them now from doing the same?

Agreed, but it kind of makes the law useless, outside of the idea of it. This is a universal right that needs to be the law of the entire land--technically, it already is.

Nope, not useless. It would stop the police from stopping, handcuffing, disarming (and possibly muzzling you with your own gun) simply because they saw a handgun on you. It would help those that do not currently have a LTCH, which may be for a variety of reason. There is/was at least one member on here who carried a cap and ball pistol simply because he did not agree with having to jump through hoops to exercise a Constitutionally protected right.

Nope, not everyone on here has one. I pointed out above a member who does not and the reason he doesn't. Along with the reasons others have posted which I quoted below.

And this.

Because we care about freedom, not just about ourselves. The money I spent on my lifetime license means nothing to me at this point. It is long gone.

From a selfish standpoint, look at it this way. If this passes, there would be no question anymore about whether an officer could stop you just because you had a gun.

Yep.

My wife does not, nor does she want to get one (she doesn't want the feds to have her fingerprints). I have left my gun in her car before, forgot to bring it in, and remembered three days later. This bill would make me a very happy person.

I did that, although it wasn't for 3 days. She saw it the next morning when she moved the seat back. And if she hadn't she would have been committing a felony at the time (and quite possibly even now).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If Lucas's bill in this session is the same as his bill in the prior session, the LTCH is retained, but optional.

I would love to have a sit-down discussion with Bosma, and ask him why "no changes are needed" to Indiana statutes that consider law-abiding citizens to be per se criminals, merely because they exercise their right to bear arms with a handgun instead of with a long gun - and that consider possession of a handgun to be prima facie evidence of criminality, for which the LTCH is merely an affirmative defense.

Top Bottom